SASS Wire Forum

Which to Choose when first Buying a Single Action Army?

Hello, I know that most of you have your personal preferences on this when choosing a Single Action Army a.k.a. "Peacemaker", as an original or of the many Brands that made Clones/Replicas, and surely isn't the first time of threads like this one posted.

But If you had to choose wisely and objectively as possible to buy your First Single Action Army (Model P, Peacemaker etc), let's suppose you had a Budget limit of $3000, and you wanted a Single Action Army Revolver, focusing only on the .45 Colt chambering ("45 LC", to avoid any confusion), and the other Criteria being which it's the most durable or reliable, and had the safest Security Mechanism (no matter how true to the original historical, I mean the Safer to carry and load), which of the Following Options would you Choose?

>Uberti/Cimarron Cattleman Old Model

>Uberti/Cimarron Cattleman II "Pre-War"

>Beretta Stampede (Yeah, I know it's discontinued)

>Ruger Vaquero "Old Model" (Heard this one handles better hotter and faster ".45 Colt +P" loaded cartridges due to its bigger cylinder and frame, don't know if that's it's true)

>Ruger New Vaquero, the model from 2005 onwards with the smaller frame

>Standard Manufacturing Single Action Clone.

>The Old JP Sauer and Sons SAA Clones in 45 (I also know they have been long ago discontinued)

>And finally, an Original Modern Production (Late 2010s-Early 2020s) Colt Single Action Army.

(Yeah I know I didn't Included the Pietta/EMF Hartford SAA clones, because I read somewhere that they were a bit less realiable and a slightly lower quality than others)

As I said focusing only in .45 Colt, which one has the safest security mechanism (4 Clicks, 3 Clicks, Transfer Bar, Free Floating Pin), smoother action (Best trigger, best Hammer and its spur), best handling, best quality materials/metals and Finish, etc, that would made it for you the best of the overall option of the above mentioned? Which and why?

Take that you had a bit more of budget to modify it a bit as you like it, like wooden checkered grips or things like that. On my personal opinion, I prefer the 5.5 Inches of the barrel, but again, that's just my opinion and not the focus of this.

And I wanted to ask if it's true that the Ruger "Old" Vaquero handles safely the .45 Colt +P ammo.

Last thing I wanted to know if the .45 Colt +P ammo it's better in your opinion, or doesn't make a real true difference at all, cause its faster speed recalls my attention as being more comparable to other revolvers cartridges like the 357 Magnum or 44 Magnum (only closer in Velocity, Bullet speed I mean) and also triggers my OCD a bit.

I'd like to have a SAA that feels like a medium bore handcannon when shooting.

Also, if you could contribute any info on any technical specs or info of the examples mentioned above that isn't usually on the manuals, like the Specific Cylinder and Barrel Bore (.454 or .452, etc) you can put it on here. By my part, I also made my own investigation, but haven't found little details like the more specific specs of them.

I hope this thread can also serve as informative for others too, to others newcomers/newbies –like me– to this in the future, or even to other experienced users.

Edited by MasterWithNoName
Just small additions and language/words Corrections

First welcome to the forum. You have many questions and you will get lots of answers here. But one question thats going to come up is this, have you been to a match? Do you plan to join SASS and use these in matches? If you answer yes the best the thing to do is find a local club and introduce yourself. I myself went two times and both times I was shooting guns, not mine. 
Now I use Cimmaron Ubertis model P’s, Colt clones. I have owned Ruger New Models but I like the feel of the P’s, they fit me and I’m accurate with them. I got mine for $1000.00 a pair and after awhile had Jim Finch work them over for another $600.00. I started with .45 Colt, Ruger NM, and currently use .38 Special. For me no need to have additional recoil and I reload so in theory powder lasts longer. You will not be using +P in this game, there is a power factor you must meet but I believe the older Vaquero can handle it, someone please chime in. 
Others will chime in and for now this is all I can say but get to a match and try some guns. 

Edited by Old Irish Shooter
  • Thanks 1

I have 4 Colts. Three 3rd gens snd one 2nd Gen all in .357. I’ve had Ubertis, Piettas and Rugers but I worked my way up to Colts. I bought them all used. I never paid more than $1600 for one that was unfired. The others were all around $1000-1200

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 3

No NEW Uberti's for me. Not even in the running after they went to the safety firing pin...also known as three click. I prefer the Ruger Bisley models myself...but I have larger than most hands. I can't hardly hold on to a regular plow handle. Can't go wrong with Old Model Rugers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Old Irish Shooter said:

First welcome to the forum. You have many questions and you will get lots of answers here. But one question thats going to come up is this, have you been to a match? Do you plan to join SASS and use these in matches? If you answer yes the best the thing to do is find a local club and introduce yourself. I myself went two times and both times I was shooting guns, not mine. 
Now I use Cimmaron Ubertis model P’s, Colt clones. I have owned Ruger New Models but I like the feel of the P’s, they fit me and I’m accurate with them. I got mine for $1000.00 a pair and after awhile had Jim Finch work them over for another $600.00. I started with .45 Colt, Ruger NM, and currently use .38 Special. For me no need to have additional recoil and I reload so in theory powder lasts longer. You will not be using +P in this game, there is a power factor you must meet but I believe the older Vaquero can handle it, someone please chime in. 
Others will chime in and for now this is all I can say but get to a match and try some guns. 

Hello, thanks for all your kind words of welcome. I don't plan to use them on any Match, because I don't live in the US, and here there isn't any SASS Club (who knows, maybe in the future I'll be first to start one here), I'm just an Affitionate, and I really like the SAA revolvers and Colt Navys –but that's another theme–, I just want to know which is the Highest quality one and the safest one to carry, load and shoot.

well given , how I read the OP . , very well could be taking it wrong , NOT enough coffee yet 

I would go with a Old Model Ruger , un modified , given the interest in +P loading 

even tho , clones feel better in my hands , 

Good luck in the serch , for what does the job  for you 

Chickasaw Bill 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MasterWithNoName said:

Hello, thanks for all your kind words of welcome. I don't plan to use them on any Match, because I don't live in the US, and here there isn't any SASS Club (who knows, maybe in the future I'll be first to start one here), I'm just an Affitionate, and I really like the SAA revolvers and Colt Navys –but that's another theme–, I just want to know which is the Highest quality one and the safest one to carry, load and shoot.

Go with a real Colt if you can afford one and find one, all the others are reproductions. Ruger is not even close! 

• Like 4

Love my Colts, but Rugers, particularly the older ones, are very durable and have the transfer bar which adds a small element of safety.  You might see if you can find one in 45 Colt with a 45 ACP cylinder.  You would come in well under budget and have added capabilities.  I owned Ruger single actions since they first came out till a little windfall let me upgrade to Colts.  The Colts are nicer, but the Rugers did the job very well.

I own and have owned lots of brands and models.  Did have a pair of Roogers but couldn't warm up to them. The Pietta you have dismissed have better features than the Uberti and are closer to Colt. The newest Pietta are getting good reviews.  

1769465977_CimarronEliminator8Sept2019.jpg.782c8820ba8e893e590360e3b8895fb2.jpg

• Like 5

Wow that’s a pretty big list, sounds like you’re writing a book and a lot of it’s going to be personal preference of the members who respond. Like a lot of the other members I own Colts, Rugers and Uberti both in 45 colt and 38. If you get addicted to this sport like the rest of us your probably going to own a few different makes as well

I've owned new and old model Vaquero's, ASM clones, and Colts.  Prefer the Colts.

Yes, you can load .45 Colt to near .44 magnum power, but if that's what you want

get a .44 magnum, and don't risk blowing up a perfectly good gun by accident. 

Don't ask me how I know this.

I started with a 4 3/4 barrel, and added a 7 1/2 barrel, which I really prefer.

I use an Alfonso's of Hollywood holster (Paladin Rig) with cross draw.

A full house .45 Colt round will let you know you just shot it. 

IMG_4290-1.jpg

Since you said you liked the Navys, you could also look at the "Opentop" Conversion guns. Available in .45 Colt, with either size grips depending on your hand size. Not as strong as a solid frame gun, they are very pleasant to shoot.

American Western Arms (AWA) made two models and both came in two conditions: really great and terrible.  I have two 5 1/2" .45s that are as good as any SAAs I've ever owned (a bunch).  I replaced the springs and cylinder pins, but have nothing else to them and thay are gaining on 30 years old an have no problems

The New Pietta Great Western ll guns are very very nicely built Colt clones. 

This is the one I chose. 

Pietta Del-Rio Deluxe 45

IMG_20230417_174206_620.thumb.jpg.3ba11983161b865685dff9f2a5c6154a.jpgIMG_20230417_174207_015.thumb.jpg.65ac7d437886e1948af13c129a1ae785.jpg20230422_231620.thumb.jpg.a20926ca28dcc0b044d06f4babe84fb3.jpg20230422_231308.thumb.jpg.13a87a0ad8b05b064e4de38388fd357f.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Nothing like a real Colt !!Heres some of mine.

IMG_3534.jpeg

IMG_2246.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

Got that right .

Nothing like real Colts .

I have One first Gen and the rest Second Gen .

it's a expensive addiction.

So Saith The Rooster 

• Like 1

For $3000, you can probably get two perfectly usable Colts.   Probably used, but they'd be real Colts.   Or, four to six clones depending on various factors.

I got these for about $2700 combined, not at the same time.

32-20Bisleys.thumb.jpg.ad5deda8b1db5cfaa99ad42d2cfebe55.jpg

Granted, they are Bisley's in .32-20 but they do illustrate how real Colts CAN be found for a reaonable price.

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619
  • Like 3

Old Model Rugers are larger than the others--some (many?) say they are too big to feel confortable

I like mine just fine

while no clubs near you I strongly suggest you get to hold them yourself before dropping your pesos on some sight unseen

shame you aren't in the States as all clubs have folks that would be happy to let you shoot their revolvers so you can make an informed decision

you did come to the right place for info--welcome

cr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

For $3000, you can probably get two perfectly usable Colts.   Probably used, but they'd be real Colts.   Or, four to six clones depending on various factors.

I got these for about $2700 combined, not at the same time.

32-20Bisleys.thumb.jpg.ad5deda8b1db5cfaa99ad42d2cfebe55.jpg

Granted, they are Bisley's in .32-20 but they do illustrate how real Colts CAN be found for a reaonable price.

Recently? 

I like my Ruger Old Modwl Vaqueros in .45.  I believe they could handle 1070 fps (barely subsonic) 200 grain jacketed loads just fine.

Other options for a non-SASS SAA would be a Feedom Arms or Colt New Frontier.  Both have adjustable sights and a good reputation for quality.

I have an old model Vaquero and New Vaquero both in 45 colt. Both great guns. My main match guns are old Vaqueros in 44 so I like the old but...the smaller new ones do just feel a little better. The New Vaquero did seem to have a few little issues that I had to fix but a good gun

To answer your posted question, the Rugers are the toughest and are priced in the middle. Colts cost more and clones a little less. Rugers are heavier than Colts. Old Vaqueros and Super Blackhawks alot, New Vaqueros and Blackhawks a little.

Get a Ruger and never worry.

PS While I shoot Vaqueros I do think the flat top stainless Blackhawks are beautiful. The ramp front site is also easier to aquire when shooting. Can't do Classic Cowboy with a Blackhawk but they are GREAT to shoot!  They are very common in all the other catagories at the clubs where I shoot.

this is the moment when going to a few matches and talking to people - trying their guns would be advantageous , i currently shoot NV , ive got a berreta , a taurus , a pair of ubertis and a pair of EMFs , ive had a lot over the years , these are what im holding now and i enjoy them all , but ill be honest here - ive spent a lot of money on guns in this sport that i no longer own and would not buy again , ive kept what i liked , what i shoot is three ruger 45s and the taurus 45 , those are my main match and backups for those less fun days , i also shoot the EMFs in 38 and the berretta in 38 , secondary match set and backup , i dont shoot the ubertis but ill not part with them because i bought them to get my grandkids shooting and im still hoping for that , 

big thing is that by stumbling around buying/selling ive lost a lot of money over the years , its been fun getting to try them all but if id followed the advice of trying first back then id not have lost so much , im certain id still have made some bad choices but not as many or as much , back then i didnt have this great place to ask questions either , a lot of good info and advice here if you choose to follow it , 

• Like 1

One observation on the Rugers. The stainless ones balance differently than those with the alloy grip frames. Not a lot, but noticeable.

Safest, most reliable, durable to shoot +p.........Ruger Vaquero (old model) for the 3k budget, you could get a darn near new one, not a beat up cowboy ran pistol. But if my 1873 budget was 3K(not in a million years,lol)...it would be a real Colt.