Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

M1 Garands


Dirty Dan Dawkins

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

How much are they selling for these days?

About 15 years ago I paid $1000 for a "special grade" CMP.  The special grade is a complete factory rebuild -- new barrel, new stock, and everything re-parkerized. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm glad I got mine before the prices went through the roof.  I like it a lot better than the AR15 rifle and trust it more

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I paid $140 for mine back in the 80's thru CMP. When it arrived at the post office the clerk was a little old lady who had to be in 80's she looked like the old lady in the tweety bird cartoons and could barely carry the box and put it up on the counter, she exclaimed " Wow that's heavy! What is it?" And I replied "A Rifle "

And she started jumping around, arms in the air, screaming "You can't send guns through the US mail!" Over and over. I calmly told her to "look at the label......It's from the Federal Government !" She quickly calmed down.

It was pretty funny, and I'll never forget the look on her face!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chantry said:

I'm glad I got mine before the prices went through the roof.  I like it a lot better than the AR15 rifle and trust it more

 

I'm glad I got one too.  Definitely not a replacement for an AR-15 and what I'd use that for, but still a fun shooter and a piece of history.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

$3,500++ for ones that are worn, rust spotted, mediocre barrel and lots of character dings in the wood.

(Mind you, that's in Canadian dollars)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have two. One WWII Winchester was $1100. One WWII Springfield was $900. As far as lower prices back in the day, what were you wages in comparison? How much were cars and houses back then? CMP rifles are still a great value considering people were buying ten at a time and flipping them at gunshows not long ago. I think they are putting the breaks on that now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cholla said:

I have two. One WWII Winchester was $1100. One WWII Springfield was $900. As far as lower prices back in the day, what were you wages in comparison? How much were cars and houses back then? CMP rifles are still a great value considering people were buying ten at a time and flipping them at gunshows not long ago. I think they are putting the breaks on that now. 

You can buy six a year now . I believe last year it was 10 .

 I know the last time I went to the North store you were limited to 2 per visit, maybe month ? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got Springfield from the Department of Civilian Marksmanship back in the '80's.  I seem to recall that like @T.K. above I paid something like $140 + for it.  And, as I recall, the rifle itself was under eighty bucks, with the balance for background check and maybe shipping.

 

Serial number has it built in April of 1943.*  Delivered to the house by the mailman on a day when I happened to be home in bed, sick with the flu.  The now ex-missus answered the door, then walked in and dropped the box on the bed, where both it and I bounced, and announced "It's M-One time!"  Amazing how fast I felt better!  :)

 

She'd been re-built; the stock was in excellent condition, barrel was new and appeared to have been un-fired, or at most a few test rounds - rifling was still blued.  What a fun rifle!  ^_^

 

Edit:  In reference to the relative pricing, according to the gub'mint's inflation calculator, the equivelent of that 1987 $140 would be about $380 today.   :huh:  I'll take as many as I can find at that price.  

 

*Interestingly, my Remington built 1903 was born in 1942, probably one of the last before the '03A3's came about.

 

RodM1Grin.thumb.jpg.a6424bd3eb164d7dcccad759214bd90c.jpg    RodSpringfield.thumb.jpg.a2cea2e577914d8220d1b13ce31adb63.jpg

 

 

Edited by Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

years ago my wife drove to the south store with my paperwork and she picked out a correct grade H & R garand and a service grade Winchester Carbine that the staff helped her pick out.  She had my two youngest in tow, one a baby and the other not far from it. they were my Christmas preset that year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last year I was looking at getting a CMP Garand and joined the Garand Owners Group solely for that purchase. I could only get the Field Grade at $1200 but I wanted one so I ordered it. About 4 weeks later they contacted me and said it would be a 12 month wait. I didn't want that much money tied up for that long when I figured I could find one elsewhere and canceled the order. About 2 weeks later I got I work with asked if I knew anyone who wanted a Garand. I said yeah, me. He told me he bought a CMP Collection Grade several years earlier along with 1000rds of the Privi Partizan M1 Garand loaded 30-06. He said he never took it out of the box and didn't really want or need it anymore. I said how much. He said $650. I couldn't get the money out fast enough. 

 

JEL20220926_191848.thumb.jpg.a3e9abafe7b4df7846bc1231ee5cd32f.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

You can buy six a year now . I believe last year it was 10 .

 I know the last time I went to the North store you were limited to 2 per visit, maybe month ? 

I’m lucky I can’t drive there! I want one of every maker. They have the IHC right now but I can’t justify $1400 to sit in a safe. 

Edited by Cholla
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

Last year I was looking at getting a CMP Garand and joined the Garand Owners Group solely for that purchase. I could only get the Field Grade at $1200 but I wanted one so I ordered it. About 4 weeks later they contacted me and said it would be a 12 month wait. I didn't want that much money tied up for that long when I figured I could find one elsewhere and canceled the order. About 2 weeks later I got I work with asked if I knew anyone who wanted a Garand. I said yeah, me. He told me he bought a CMP Collection Grade several years earlier along with 1000rds of the Privi Partizan M1 Garand loaded 30-06. He said he never took it out of the box and didn't really want or need it anymore. I said how much. He said $650. I couldn't get the money out fast enough. 

 

JEL20220926_191848.thumb.jpg.a3e9abafe7b4df7846bc1231ee5cd32f.jpg

I would have broken the sound barrier getting my wallet out!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am trying to get CMP regulation matches going in Prescott. There are a lot of hurtles in place. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I’m lucky I can’t drive there! I want one of every maker. They have the IHC right now but I can’t justify $1400 to sit in a safe. 

That’s where I decided to stop my collection. I got one from each manufacturer. Got 2 from the north store and 2 mail order. All service grades. 
I'm 3 hours from the north store, if you go on the CMP forum the south store always seems to have a far better selection. Living within a hour of that would probably be problematic for my bank account. I’d hate to guess how many some of the regulars on the CMP forum have. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check this one out ~ no longer available, and it warn't cheap.  Sweet, though!  ^_^

 

Winchester

 

image.thumb.png.622ddde306c81519c5fc333b83ec10a6.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

If collecting M-1's is your thing, go for it! Otherwise, I can only shoot one at a time! B)

 

But TR... they get to all take turns~!  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i paid about $750 for my winchester in near original 43 condition , that was decades ago , im sad i sold it but i know where it is --next to my 43 national postal meter carbine so im not quite as sad i might be , they are with a younger collector , good place , 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When my Dad was passing in the early 90s, he had me come up and take home what I wanted.
I opted for a S&W 9mm of some model, and buckets of ammo.
I left behind three M1 Garands, having no clue as to what they are.

I traded the useless S&W for a licensed copy of Netware 3.11 which was FAR more valuable to me at the time.
My neighbor still offers to kick me every now and again, for leaving those Garands behind.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

When my Dad was passing in the early 90s, he had me come up and take home what I wanted.
I opted for a S&W 9mm of some model, and buckets of ammo.
I left behind three M1 Garands, having no clue as to what they are.

I traded the useless S&W for a licensed copy of Netware 3.11 which was FAR more valuable to me at the time.
My neighbor still offers to kick me every now and again, for leaving those Garands behind.

 

You could sell tickets to that butt-kicking event and turn it into a fundraiser to buy that Garand!  :)  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In 2021 I purchased a CMP Service Grade for $750.  I also bought 100 rounds of Garand safe 30-06 match ammo which took 3 moths after I received the rifle.  The CMP disassemble each rifle, clean the parts, inspect the parts, replace parts that fail inspection.  My rifle has a new stock.  The finish is almost 100% showing slight wear on the muzzle end.  Looks like wear from being stacking.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Only you can make a Garand look small! :)

I saw Three Foot Johnson's pic and immediately said,  Damn, that's a big dude making that rifle look tiny. 

 

JEL

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.