SASS Wire Forum

Ever have the urge to "rub" a bicyclist?

Alpo

I am driving down the road, and up ahead of me on the edge of the road there's a bicycle. He's got a flashing red tail light to get my attention. And as I get up close to him, I see that he is not riding in the bicycle lane. He's in the car lane. He's right at the edge, by the white line, but he's on my side of the line. There's lots of traffic on the road. I can't cross over the dotted line to give him room. So I squeezed up close to the dotted line, and was kind of thankful that my side mirror wasn't sticking out any further than it was.

And I thought about just kind of "accidentally" bumping him with the side of the truck. Didn't do it, but I thought about it.

They ride 4 abreast here on occasion.:angry: Will hold up traffic for miles if no one blows around them. They pay nothing to use the road, but obviously seem to own it. One of my many peeves.

Nope.  Really stupid thing to do.  That could be prosecuted as attempted murder.   

Some of the bike lanes around here are maybe 18 inches wide and the right edge is a sharp 3 or 4 inch drop off the pavement, sometimes that's only a couple of feet from a creek or cliff.   

Bike lanes collect lots of debris - nails, screws, broken glass, and so on.  As long as the bikies are reasonably close to the line, and pull over into the bike lane every once in a while to allow motor vehicles to pass I don't mind too much.  It's when there is a gaggle of them riding abreast rather than in line, intentionally blocking traffic (usually because THEY think that they need to prevent passing because THEY think it's unsafe) that it's irksome.  Of course, those are also the ones who make rude gestures and shout insults at drivers.

I am courteous to bicyclists if they are courteous in return. In other words, if they move when they can to accommodate me to pass I am patient. If they do not move over to let me pass when there is an obvious way for them to do so then I am apt to not be so nice.  They don’t like my horns. 

Luckily I have not encountered obnoxious bicyclists here in WV or PA. 
In California, occasionally. In Oregon and New Mexico? All the time. 

In California you must give them 3’ of space when passing. For the most part that isn’t to hard to do with the way the roads are built. 

In Oregon they can take the whole lane if they wish. I can test my horn, if I wish. It’s a win-win. 

Ah, I just remembered, I did have a group of bicyclists take up the whole lane of a two lane road in PA on me one day when I was riding my motorcycle. I was patient for a few minutes until I could see the sideways glances, smirks and giggling from these knuckleheads. I have a new horn mounted on my Kawasaki that is much louder than the factory horn. I just started beeping it in time with the song I was listening to. After about 15 seconds they parted and I waved as I passed. 

Around here...bicylcists are a bunch of a&&hol#s. A lot of places have bike lanes...and they don't get used. They dis-obey more traffic laws than anyone else...and act the most entitled. Very seldon do I see them signal a turn or when slowing down. Very seldom do I see them stop or even yield at a stop sign. We have a share the road program in Iowa that was mostly fought for by motorcyclists. But the bicycles use it to their advantage

I wonder how many bicyclists are tempted to shoot dead some moron who intentionally hits them with his car and tries to kill them.

I was not on a bike, but was on a motorcycle when some moron tried to ram me from the rear.
I was fortunate enough to slip between two cars so he couldn't hit he.
Happened on the Golden Gate Bridge.

11 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I wonder how many bicyclists are tempted to shoot dead some moron who intentionally hits them with his car and tries to kill them.

I was not on a bike, but was on a motorcycle when some moron tried to ram me from the rear.
I was fortunate enough to slip between two cars so he couldn't hit he.
Happened on the Golden Gate Bridge.

I  had the same thing happen in SoCal years ago. Guy got mad because I was hopscotching lanes to get ahead. He actually did hit my rear tire with his bumper. I just split lanes and got away from him. I think the dude was high or drunk. 

In younger days I was an avid road bicycler.  I had several guys in a car brush pass by inches hollering insults.  They got stuck behind a car at a light, and I caught them with a sprint.  There were three of them and they wouldn't get out of their car.  Fortunate, I suppose, but I was very fit, trained, and angry.  Always law abiding, but Bicycle or Motorcycle, my standing rule was that cars were out to get you.

I've not really felt the need to hurt people out of impatience, or even reacting to their silly behavior. 

That may be because I'm a bicyclist and have been a motorcyclist over the years as well.

If I had someone in the car that I was rushing to the hospital I might lay on the horn and get

aggressive about the lane sharing, but it would have to be in extreme circumstances, otherwise I

just want to take my time and enjoy my days on earth.

Having been on the receiving end of near fatal behavior by Oscar Grope in his belch-fire V8

I'm a little sensitive to folks who want to act out violently to other people on the road. 

Bicyclists have the same right to the road that cars do, as most roads are paid for by property taxes

and not license plate fees.  Many bicyclists also have cars and pay those fees as well, so there is

no "I paid for it, I count more" right to the road. 

I've lived in villages where many equestrians ride their horses for a mile or more on paved roads to get

to trails they can ride on.  I'd not want to get to obnoxious and spook those horses or risk hurting some

of those youngsters taking their horses out.

I prefer riding on designated trails, but there are not enough of those in some towns to let you get around

so I'm compelled to share the road with cars.

In reply to BGavin - I once saw a motorcyclist with a jacket that read:

"Ever see a man shoot a .357 from a motorcycle?  Get much closer and you will!".

SC

Bikies (the ones in spandex, on their $10,000 bikes, toe clips, and shoes that almost never touch the ground) here in Sonoma County used to be insanely obnoxious - ignoring stop signs and lights, intentionally blocking traffic for miles, yelling at drivers and flipping them off, then whining in the letter, city council meetings, Board of Supervisor meetings about how rude and hostile drivers were.   Finally the Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition held a bunch of public meetings and enough non-bikies repeated enough times stories of the blocking, ignoring traffic laws, and general rudeness of the bikies that it got through.  My own contribution at those meetings was recounting bikies leaning on my pickup at a stop so they didn't have to put a foot down, gaggles of them splitting and passing me on both sides as I was making a left turn from a stop sign onto a busy road - that caused me to hit clutch and brake at the same time because they didn't split to surround me until the last second as I was starting to pull out from the stop, and they hadn't bothered to attempt to slow down coming up to the intersection.

The past 10 years they've mostly been pretty good about following traffic laws and sharing the roads.

Unfortunately, Sonoma County is a destination county for the bicycle community, drawing them from all over and many bring their bad habits with them.

The guys who for whatever reason (I suspect loss of drivers license for DUI) have to use a bike for every day transport I give more slack.  

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Not true, only a small percentage of road work is paid for by gas taxes.  The rest comes from local taxes.

Which on my road, from the ones I recognize, rent. So they don't pay taxes either. But show up at selectboard meetings to whine about bike lanes they want but don't use. I have no issue with the courteous bikers, just the entitled ones. I still give them plenty of room when I finally get the chance to pass they're spandex asses.

47 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Which on my road, from the ones I recognize, rent. So they don't pay taxes either.

No taxes at all on rental property?  The landlord doesn't have to pay taxes?  Or doesn't factor the property taxes into the rent?

Here in CA, we have the highest road (read: fuel) taxes in the nation.
I understand the vast majority of it goes for State pensions.
Most certainly NOT for the roads.

6 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

No taxes at all on rental property?  The landlord doesn't have to pay taxes?  Or doesn't factor the property taxes into the rent?

The landlord does pay taxes. But has been my gripe with education taxes too! They own 150K building with 6- 10 kids going to school! We have no kids and a 450K property. It's getting cheaper to rent! I now pay a little over 1K a month just for taxes, and on a fixed income, that sucks. Just tired of paying for everyone else! GRUMP.

OK, wrong thread, nevermind!

2 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Here in CA, we have the highest road (read: fuel) taxes in the nation.
I understand the vast majority of it goes for State pensions.
Most certainly NOT for the roads.

It's a pretty open "secret" that much of our fuel tax revenue has been re-directed to "HSR" - High Speed Rail.  So, a few years ago a fresh batch of fuel taxes were levied because of the severe need for funds to build and maintain roads and bridges.  

I seem to recall that the member of the "ruling party" who cast the deciding vote on passing the new taxes was immediately the subject of a recall campaign - so the legislature quickly changed the recall rules to protect 'im.  <_<

My rental property is 3rd generation in my family.
As of this writing, it is Prop 13 protected.

When Mom died, the trust attorney failed to do his job filing the proper forms.
San Diego sent me a tax bill for $24,000 in back taxes, and a new yearly tax bill of $16,000.

They gave me 60 days to pay the combined bill, or they would seize the property for a tax sale.

I covered the tax bill, but it took two full years to get that money back.
They used it for two years, interest-free.
The good news:  it did not come back as a 1099 tax return, or I would have had to pay income tax on my own money.

The CA voters have destroyed the Prop13 inherited policies for tax protection, so the family will lose this property upon our death.
At that time, San Diego will reassess the property tax up to $16,600 per year (as of today's tax and valuation).

2 minutes ago, bgavin said:

My rental property is 3rd generation in my family.
As of this writing, it is Prop 13 protected.

When Mom died, the trust attorney failed to do his job filing the proper forms.
San Diego sent me a tax bill for $24,000 in back taxes, and a new yearly tax bill of $16,000.

They gave me 60 days to pay the combined bill, or they would seize the property for a tax sale.

I covered the tax bill, but it took two full years to get that money back.
They used it for two years, interest-free.
The good news:  it did not come back as a 1099 tax return, or I would have had to pay income tax on my own money.

The CA voters have destroyed the Prop13 inherited policies for tax protection, so the family will lose this property upon our death.
At that time, San Diego will reassess the property tax up to $16,600 per year (as of today's tax and valuation).

We should be smelling tar boilin' and hearing chickens squawking....  <_<

Hell - don't even bother pluckin' the birds - just glue 'em whole with tar right directly to the elected miscreants ~ squawling, clawing, and pecking...!  :)

RSA 265:143a Requires Motorists to Exercise Due Care When Approaching a Bicycle. Leave a reasonable and prudent distance. That must be at least 3 feet when the passing vehicle is traveling at 30 miles per hour or less and one extra foot for every 10 MPH over 30 miles per hour.

Also for pedestrians.

3 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I used to ride my bicycle several thousand miles a year. Some riders are their own worst enemy and give us a bad reputation. Car drivers can be self righteous a******s too. Many a time I wanted to shoot a few. 

This.  My wife rides near on 200mi a week on her bicycle.  I did before the last knock on the head (doc said if I have another, I may not wake up). 

My property is on an old state road. In front of the house the road  stretches straight for about 1200 feet with very sharp curves on each end. The bikers love this road and generally take it easy. There’s always farm equipment moving back and forth between their land holds. Anyway, about 15 years ago the nearest township, Elizabethtown (about 15 miles away) decided they would make this road part of their bicycle route for their bicycle club. At first it was only used once in awhile for together events with children. It was kind of fun to sit on the porch and watch all the families come through in a sort of parade. We’re also on the route for a once a year old farm equipment parade.

As time passed it has become a daily affair, with groups of anywhere from 2 or 3 and up to fifteen to 20 riders coming together at a time, no courtesy, they will completely take up the lane. Very rude individuals. I woke one morning to discover symbols and arrows spray painted on the road in front of my house. XXX. I got in the truck and drove the road. AT each house there were white symbols spray painted on the road.

I called my buddy who works for the State crew. He informed me that the Elizabethtown Bicycle club had gotten permission to paint the symbols to mark their bike route. The symbol in front of my house indicated to the cyclists that this is a nesting location for the Eagles that live on our lakes. Now, I understood why they were starting to pul off onto my property for their breaks. ( which I would then go out near them and run some loud equipment and get them to move on. Other symbols indicted which homes had dogs, and so on and on.) The roads that were on their route had become a sort of an assortment of their graffiti. All of us called and complained to state. Most of the symbols other then an occasional arrow have since been removed.

The club is still a real pain in traffic, still clogging the roads in their groups. They have their rights, but it has long since been an infringement of the rights others. I hope they can someday find a balance. With the influx of people to the area, we keep waiting to hear about one of them being killed in an accident. 

A few years ago, we had an incident where a group of cyclists were riding in a pack, spread over the entire right hand lane on a two lane road.

Nice road. Hills and curves.

Along came another road user who also liked hills and curves and drove a stick shift and liked to wind it up.

They met when he came over the top of a hill, after going around a curve and was shifting. 

I saw the pictures taken by the crash scene investigator. It was not pretty.

As my Father used to say, as a reminder: "I had the Right of Way - But the other guy had a truck!"

How would you like to be behind this guy?

FB_IMG_1698252403687.thumb.jpg.547a48e44121c4f28dc84d71552d5663.jpg

"In 1887, 21-year-old George W. Nellis, Jr., made his transcontinental journey in 72 days from Herkimer, New York, to San Francisco, on his 52-inch high Columbia Expert “ordinary” bicycle. The newspaperman beat the previous record by several weeks."

Wonder how you stopped them things? Like a tricycle - just stop pedaling and use the strength of your legs acting as brakes? Maybe jump off of it and run along the side until you can slow it down?

I'm going to assume that he had a car going along with him. Both to make sure he didn't cheat and to carry supplies to fix flats. Unless bikes back then had solid rubber tires?

10 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

How would you like to be behind this guy?

FB_IMG_1698252403687.thumb.jpg.547a48e44121c4f28dc84d71552d5663.jpg

"In 1887, 21-year-old George W. Nellis, Jr., made his transcontinental journey in 72 days from Herkimer, New York, to San Francisco, on his 52-inch high Columbia Expert “ordinary” bicycle. The newspaperman beat the previous record by several weeks."

Remember, there were no paved roads. He has solid not pneumatic rubber tires and those spokes are not crossed which gives a brutal feel to the ride.

4 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Wonder how you stopped them things? Like a tricycle - just stop pedaling and use the strength of your legs acting as brakes? Maybe jump off of it and run along the side until you can slow it down?

I'm going to assume that he had a car going along with him. Both to make sure he didn't cheat and to carry supplies to fix flats. Unless bikes back then had solid rubber tires?

In 1887, cars? Don’t be silly.  There was no chain, no freewheel, in that regard it’s like a track bike, your feet move and the wheels move. Solid rubber tires never get flats, never.

Archived