SASS Wire Forum

Ever have the urge to "rub" a bicyclist?

Alpo

No :rolleyes:

I Never thought about it :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

How would you like to be behind this guy?

FB_IMG_1698252403687.thumb.jpg.547a48e44121c4f28dc84d71552d5663.jpg

"In 1887, 21-year-old George W. Nellis, Jr., made his transcontinental journey in 72 days from Herkimer, New York, to San Francisco, on his 52-inch high Columbia Expert “ordinary” bicycle. The newspaperman beat the previous record by several weeks."

I’ve ridden one of these things. It’s not nearly as hard as it would appear. I did have the benefit of a modern freewheeling hub though. Both the mount, and especially the dismount, require planning ahead. 

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Keeping up with a bicycle?  You really are thinking of tricycles aren’t you

Herkimer New York to San Francisco is 2,855 miles. Divide that by 72 days and you get 39.6 miles a day.

From wiki

>Until the late 18th century, stagecoaches traveled at an average speed of about 5 miles per hour (8 km/h), with the average daily mileage traversed approximately 60 to 70 miles (97 to 113 km).[5] With road improvements and the development of steel springs, speeds increased. <

I wasn't thinking of a pioneer's covered wagon being pulled by two yoke of oxen and making 3 miles a day.

I won't sugarcoat it. Of all the thread titles Alpo has come up with, this one, and the post and some of the comments within have left me not simply appalled, but angry and disturbed to the point of disgust. HELL NO I've never had the urge to "rub" a bicyclist. Why don't you just ask if people have had the urge to fire a "near miss" at someone at the range? Or give a tall ladder a "little shake" while holding it for someone?

An acquaintance of mine who rode regularly with a couple of friends, and was a great guy by all accounts of those who knew him better than I, was killed by a person going well over the legal speed limit as he was crossing a roadway while on a well travelled bike path. There are plenty of warning signs, and it could have just as easily been a family of kids, instead of a father of two.

My wife's ObGyn spent a long period of time in the hospital, and the guy he was riding with was killed by a driver that simply wasn't paying attention. They were riding along the edge of the road, in file, according to the reports.

I've had things thrown at me, been cursed at, had diesels "roll coal" and had vehicles veer at me while riding as close to the edge as practicable. So help me, if I were able to catch up with one of them, I'd beat the hell out of them, or their vehicle if they were too gutless to get out. That goes for anyone in this thread that finds humor in the thought.

No, I see no humor in it. What the hell is wrong with people?

Archived