SASS Wire Forum

Canned chili w/o beans

Yep!  Wolf is pretty much all that we’ll eat out of a can!!  You can put some appropriate spices in as you warm it up and it ain’t bad.

Bed o rice, Wolf, chopped onions and a topping of grated cheddar ring it with tamales and loosen yer belt!

Grab ya’ a pack of Nathan’s Colossal all beef hotdogs, some chopped red onion, spicy queso dip, and a can of Wolf’s chili and enjoy the best chili dogs you’ve ever had!!

I broil the dogs, chop some fresh peppers into the queso and get it good ‘n’ hot, toast the hotdog buns, (I like the buns that’re split on top) and put it all together with the onion sprinkled on top.  Some Hines spicy brown or some Grey Poupon will really set it off!

I have never had Wolf brand chili. I will have to look for that. 

I have had Stagg brand chili. For canned chili it’s really good. 

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have never had Wolf brand chili. I will have to look for that. 

I have had Stagg brand chili. For canned chili it’s really good. 

Stagg is pretty good too. Not real easy to find around here.  I still prefer Wolfs, I wouldn’t be disappointed with Stagg.

Schoolmarm makes a quick chili from scratch that’s better than any canned.  

I make contest level chili every couple of years, but it takes nearly a week to cut, slice, and marinate all the meats and chop and prepare the peppers and onions and prepare the seasonings.  It takes a whole day just to cook it all down. ‘Course, we’re talking about four or five gallons of chili!

A good canned chili is a necessity at our house!!

Canned chili all sucks. Period. If I make chili dogs or frito pie I prefer Hormel. I don't think it sucks QUITE as bad as Wolf brand but canned chili in general is low grade dog food.

JMHO

JHC

This is one where I'm going to have to suggest making it yourself rather than opening a can.   It's almost as easy as opening that can and stirring it so it doesn't scorch.
In the meat department you should be able to find a coarsely chopped beef., or you could go to a local Mexican market and get some.  Go to the produce section and pick up a pack of chopped onions, and from the canned foods aisle a box of Carroll Shelby's Chili Kit.  Throw the meat and onions in a pot, brown the meat, add the Chili Fixings.  Takes about 15 minutes.  

Of course, better the next day.

Locally I get Hormel with beans and Angus beef. Not like contest chili, but ok for out of a can for lunch.

Wolf brand chili without bean is the only one I’ll eat. Black water is dead on. It makes the best chili dog you’ll ever eat.

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Canned chili all sucks. Period. If I make chili dogs or frito pie I prefer Hormel. I don't think it sucks QUITE as bad as Wolf brand but canned chili in general is low grade dog food.

JMHO

JHC

Hormel? That sound you heard was me yelling “YUCK” towards Texas. :lol:

That stuff is just plain bad. :lol:

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Stagg is pretty good too. Not real easy to find around here.  I still prefer Wolfs, I wouldn’t be disappointed with Stagg.

Schoolmarm makes a quick chili from scratch that’s better than any canned.  

I make contest level chili every couple of years, but it takes nearly a week to cut, slice, and marinate all the meats and chop and prepare the peppers and onions and prepare the seasonings.  It takes a whole day just to cook it all down. ‘Course, we’re talking about four or five gallons of chili!

A good canned chili is a necessity at our house!!

I am gonna have to try this Wolf chili. Thanks. 

Actually, I prefer my own quick chili over any canned chili, but hey, sometimes ya gotta have some chili without any fuss. ;)

I'll mention that chili freezes well if one chooses to make it in large quantities. 

23 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I'll mention that chili freezes well if one chooses to make it in large quantities. 

My standard recipe makes about 2 1/2 gallons, so there is always some to freeze.  

45 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I freeze it in demi-loaf pans, then turn those out, wrap them, and then put those in gallon Ziploc bags for the freezer.

40 you might check out frozen chili. Texas Chili Co. comes to mind, there are probably others. Costs considerably more but it is better. Still not good, but better. I grew up eating my mama's and now I make my own, it's not hard. I have been known to make my own even for chili dogs.

JHC

Howdy,

First and best idea....freeze a cup or three of your next batch.

Having a couple containers ready is a comfort.

Wendys is fine in a pinch.  Maybe freeze a container of it for the next snowstorm?

Add a bit of your spices maybe?

Now there is a book of chili recipes which includes instant chili.

They list cooking burger and dropping in a can of various .

If I find that book I will add the list.

It looks unimpressive but is good and so very fast.

Chili should be available 31.

Best

CR

Armor chili is good as is bunker hill chili sauce.  If bunker hill is mixed with beef patty it taste similar to the Varsity chili burger.  

for a cheap meal:  line a casserole dish with hormel tamales and cover with 2 cans armor chili and bake for 20 minutes then cover with cheese and crumbled crackers and bake at 350 for 2 minutes and the whole family eats cheap.  

On 5/12/2023 at 7:34 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

I freeze it in demi-loaf pans, then turn those out, wrap them, and then put those in gallon Ziploc bags for the freezer.

I have used a vacuum bagger/sealer to freeze homemade chili, lasagna sauce, spaghetti and the like. Do it like any other food except that I leave the tongue a little longer to make sure the liquid in bag is lower than the sealer. Works great and since all of the air is removed, there's no freezer frost. Throw it in a sink of water to thaw and wallah, home made chili, lasagna sauce, spaghetti sauce/etc. in minutes.

Archived