SASS Wire Forum

Squirrels!

OK Pards, we've done threads on DOGS and CATS; How about we do SQUIRRELS?

Here's a start:

84d3dca04cdee7c8d6fdb3f2cfa6dfce.png

The only difference between a rat and a squirrel is that furry tail!!

I hate rats!!!

One thing is they are amazing high wire walkers!! No fear at all, they just scurry across them wires as easy as can be!

34 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I hate rats!!!

Bushy-tailed tree rat. People that just get all "wow" about squirrels in their yard, and they think of them as pets, and they put food out for them --- those people are insane.

28 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Bushy-tailed tree rat. People that just get all "wow" about squirrels in their yard, and they think of them as pets, and they put food out for them --- those people are insane.

I used to feed the squirrels to keep the little bastages out of the bird feeders. It was more bribery that anything else. Crafty little buggers. And they taste good. 

41 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

TARGET , got a NEW 392 Benjiman to pop the nasty little critters 

does a fine job on coons and groundhogs to boot 

CB 

I'm old school.

A Crosman 180 does the job around here just fine.

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I hate rats!!!

Tree squirrels are tastier.  :rolleyes:

Reminds me of one Sunday dinner at the old Kappa Phi Delta house.  We had a number of hunters in the frat, and decided to have a "game" meal one particular weekend.  Bonnie the Cook was also game, and with contributions from the guys whipped up a wunnerful spread that included deer steak, quial, duck, goose, pheasant... and one squirrel.  Squirrel contributed by yours truly.  And I was really looking forward to that li'l fried tree climber ~ I hadn't had fried squirrel since I was a kid in Texas.

Well... along came Mikhail - the fella who was such a slob we made him sleep in the tool shed in the back yard.  Mike had never had squirrel, but it evidently looked appealing, so he dumped the entire serving dish of parts onto his plate and dug in.  

I was sad.

Then, Half-Breed Pete looked up in time to see Mikhail strip the last bone, and with a grin and a shake of his head, said "Well I'll be damned - you really DID get him to eat that rat!"

In the interest of decorum, I shall refrain from describing Mikhail's reaction.  B)  :lol:

33 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Tree squirrels are tastier.  :rolleyes:

Reminds me of one Sunday dinner at the old Kappa Phi Delta house.  We had a number of hunters in the frat, and decided to have a "game" meal one particular weekend.  Bonnie the Cook was also game, and with contributions from the guys whipped up a wunnerful spread that included deer steak, quial, duck, goose, pheasant... and one squirrel.  Squirrel contributed by yours truly.  And I was really looking forward to that li'l fried tree climber ~ I hadn't had fried squirrel since I was a kid in Texas.

Well... along came Mikhail - the fella who was such a slob we made him sleep in the tool shed in the back yard.  Mike had never had squirrel, but it evidently looked appealing, so he dumped the entire serving dish of parts onto his plate and dug in.  

I was sad.

Then, Half-Breed Pete looked up in time to see Mikhail strip the last bone, and with a grin and a shake of his head, said "Well I'll be damned - you really DID get him to eat that rat!"

In the interest of decorum, I shall refrain from describing Mikhail's reaction.  B)  :lol:

baby-fell-down-lmao-5gumsmvjae282n4y.gif.f7b2f2b7d1211af18f8cc9be175e8beb.gif

so i have gray , black and red squirrels , on my property , the population routinely gets well over 29 - then the [air of great horned owls move in for a week - problem solved , 

growing up in iowa i had the fat fox squirrels , they were tasty 

In our former neighbourhood. we had a woman who thought they were "So Cute", fed them regularly and encouraged a LARGE population around her home, much to the neighbours with gardens etc. annoyance.

One day, she noticed an odor and a stain in the ceiling of her home.

When the attic was checked, it was found to be heavily infested with squirrels, living and some dead.

All the feces and urine soaked insulation in the attic had to be removed, rafters and beams had to be cut out and replaced as was the gyproc ceiling, due to concerns about Hanta Virus.

A very expensive renovation job.

But she fed the squirrels and I'm sure they appreciated it.

On 4/12/2023 at 5:30 PM, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Crosman 180 does the job around here just fine.

My Dad used a slingshot w/ball bearings.  We always got ALL of our pecans.

I rescued this little guy who got separated from mom with no food in winter.

Built him a heated box outside on my back porch, fed him walnuts from my tree and a bit of milk with minimal contact...one day I went to feed and he was grabbing nuts from the porch that had fell.

He started running around and then stopped coming back every night.

So I took his box down...hope he made it , I see a squirrels everyday , a bunch come grab walnuts from the porch and all around, hopefully he still visits.

20210416_163559.jpg

Archived