SASS Wire Forum

Russia invades Ukraine

PowderRiverCowboy

When #LGB told Putin he could not invade Ukraine, Putin's response? "Hold ma beer and watch this!"  Or perhaps it was BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

In any case, the occupant of the WH is likely gleefully checking another item off of his bucket list of how to destroy America. And he's doing a damn fine job of it.

I've lost track in just the past 13 months of how many times I've said it can't get worse, only to be proven wrong.

Ukraine has a considerable army with modern equipment.  Heck, we sent them 2.5 billion dollars worth of military equipment in the last few years.  Lets see if they are willing to fight for their freedom or do they just want somebody else to fight for their freedom.  

I personally haven't lost anything in Ukraine and I don't think I use anything from Ukraine.  If they hold off the Russians for a month, I'd be in favor of sending Ukraine a bunch of hand held anti tank and anti aircraft ordinance.  Give the Russians something to think about.  But I want to see if they are willing to fight before sending any more equipment.

This won't be good for anyone.

This morning I checked spot prices and saw gold up $54/oz overnight. I knew before I read the headlines...

Putin was just waiting for US to prove its weakness and zero leadership to the world for him do this. It's not like he came up with this idea last month...

29 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Oh, and Whose Sons and Daughters do you want to sacrifice for something NOT OUR FIGHT.

Amen to Coffinmaker! STAY OUT OF THIS FIGHT!

Putin did a minor incursion into Ukraine. How far will the minor incursion go? U.S. don't have a dog in this fight? Europe gets 30% to 60% of energy from Russia. U.S. imports couple hundred million barrels a day from Russia. U.S. needs to step up energy production ASAP or Putin will keep the upper hand.

1 minute ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

Putin did a minor incursion into Ukraine. How far will the minor incursion go? U.S. don't have a dog in this fight? Europe gets 30% to 60% of energy from Russia. U.S. imports couple hundred million barrels a day from Russia. U.S. needs to step up energy production ASAP or Putin will keep the upper hand.

We were energy independent not too long ago. Now we carry our hat in hand and beg.

This is Europe's doing and they have the wherewithal to take care of this on their own. Whether they will remains to be seen and I'm not optimistic. They've set themselves up to be dependent on Russia for most of their energy needs, so I don't see much happening beyond some sanctions and blathering. Sanctions have had little effect before, so I doubt it's much of a deterrent to Putin. He's been pretty transparent through the years that rebuilding the USSR is his goal, yet the world dithered anyway. The Russian people will suffer even more privations to be sure, but Putin is a hero to them because now Russia holds the attention of the world.

Europe has shut down much of their nuclear and coal burning power production capability in favor of natural gas.  Guess who they get most of their natural gas from?  The sanctions placed on Russia by Europe will only mean that Russia will have to sell their gasoline and  LNG to China through existing pipelines.  China has never had any problems ignoring boycotts and sanctions when it suited them.  

This is a long way from being our problem.  I say let Europe deal with it and I'll buy stock in Raytheon Missiles and Defense.

I honestly don't mind helping those in need, but getting tired of always being the ones that have to save the world with my tax dollars. And then we bring the refugee's here and l get to support them some more.

Time for the rest of the world to fight their own damn wars.

Most of what we have gained in the last hundred years was countries that we turned into compeditors and who vote against us in the UN at every opportunity, who hate us, disdain us, cheat us, and who expect us to be there when they need us and contribute little or nothing to their own defense.  They call us Imperialists, but if we had added, by annexing, everyone to our "empire" when we had the chance to do so we'd have hundreds of states or territories by now.

Time for them to step and shed their own youth, blood, resources, and finances.

PLUS ONE for Forty Rod

THIS.   IS.   NOT.   OUR.   FIGHT.  We owe them NOTHING.  And, incase nobody is paying attention, the idea is, and has been, to run "others" out of Oil and Gas first.  Then we will tap more of "ours."

I'll look in my history books and remember Neville Chamberlin and his "Peace In Our Time" declaration, then my uncles and Father's and Father-in-Laws time touring the United Kingdom and Europe from 1939 to 1945.

I don't care for the hideous cost of war, but ...................

I don't want us to get into this fight.

Three decades ago, the newly independent country of Ukraine was briefly the third-largest nuclear power in the world

Thousands of nuclear arms had been left on Ukraine soil by Moscow after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.  

But, in the years that followed, Ukraine made the decision to completely denuclearize.  In exchange, the U.S., the U.K., and Russia (yeah, Russia)

would guarantee Ukraine's security in a 1994 agreement known as the Budapest Memorandum.

The Ukrainians knew that they couldn't depend on Russia to keep its word.  But, they were told at the time that the United States and the Western Powers,

at least the United States and Great Britain - take their commitments really seriously.

This is a document signed at the highest level by the heads of state.   So, the implication was Ukraine would not be left to stand alone and face a threat should it come under one.

Russia glibly violated it in 2014.  When everybody showed up in Paris to talk about it then, Russia ignored it and didn't show up.

It showed then that agreements aren't worth the wind expended to talk about it and that the "Western Powers" can't be trusted to keep their word any more than Russia can.

Now that agreement is front and center again.  But, why should Ukraine expect any different now?

What could we possibly do that we haven't done?  Why did we promise to help, when we knew there would be no way we could, short of war with a nuclear power?  

We've shown any country that might depend on our word, or even written agreement, that we can't really be expected to honor it.

This will be my last post about it . We all know the saying about leading the horse to water 

For 8 years people in Donetsk and Luhansk regions (Donbass, East Ukrainian) has been methodically exterminated by Ukrainian nationalists, neo-nazis and regular armed forces simply for refusing living under Kiev’s criminal government.
People were forced to take up arms to defend themselves and their families, fighting for their rights to choose and live.
For 8 years children were forced growing up witnessing death around them, hiding from daily mortar bombardment, artillery shelling and sniper fire.
Western media never showed genocide committed there.
For 8 years US and NATO was pumping weapons and military equipment into Ukraine.

It is shameful that western media didn't say a word against it, when the today's Ukrainian regime 2014 came to power by a military coup in spite of all international laws and local referendums.
When over 40 people were burned alive in Odessa and the perpetrators publicly called it "separatists barbecue" no one was arrested.
When the Russian population of Ukraine was banned from speaking their language.
As armed units of the neonazist "right sector" under hook crosses and other nazi - symbols on their flags waged war against their own civilians or  when towns and villages in Donbass were shelled by artillery and snipers were hunting not just armed men fighting back, but women and children.
When the former Ukrainian President Poroshenko promised that the children of Donbass will never come out of their cellars and bomb-shelters.
When president Zelenskiy in his statement said that Donbas people blowing themselves up.

On 21.02.2022 independence of Donetsk and Luhansk republics finally were recognized by Russian Federation, followed by other countries.
By this time Ukraine concentrated large military contingent, intensifying shelling of Donetsk and Luhansk regions, Russia officially promised to help.

24.02.2022 Russian military lunched an operation of Ukrainian Demilitarization. Russian MOD urged: No civilian infrastructure is targeted!

But now everyone screams about Russian aggression and demand peace... If this isn't hypocrisy, then what?

Archived