SASS Wire Forum

High School graduation present

Alpo

When I graduated high school, back in 1973, most of the people I sent announcements to gave me money. I appreciated that - after all, how many Cross pens can one fellow use?

And every single person that gave me money gave me $5.

The next year, when I got my first job, my new boss informed me that even though I was not worth that much, he had to pay me $2 an hour because that's what minimum wage was.

So that graduation present was two and a half hours at minimum.

If, in the year of 2020, you were to send somebody money for high school graduation, how much would you give them?

Seems like I recently read that minimum is 7 and 1/2. Two and a half times that is somewhere around $19, so twenty bucks would be about the same thing as I got back then.

But - just doing my normal brain picking thing - if you were giving money to a graduate, how much would you give? 20? 50? 100? 5 ("if it was good enough for me consarnit, it ought to be good enough for my grandson!") :P

When my niece graduated, I sent her $200 in the mail. Couldn't attend the graduation or party. Finally received a thank you card about 8 months later....damn ingrate.

I personally think that anything below $50 for a close relative, would be taken as being "cheap" and a fiver would be an insult.

Dear Uncle Cypress Sun, I'm graduating this Summer. I wish you could attend, but this covid 19 has forced the cancelation of the ceremony. Thanks in advance for your gift. Your favorite nephew, Chance 

$50.00 unless they’re real cute then it’s $100.00.

1 hour ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Dear Uncle Cypress Sun, I'm graduating this Summer. I wish you could attend, but this covid 19 has forced the cancelation of the ceremony. Thanks in advance for your gift. Your favorite nephew, Chance 

Dear Nephew Chance, I think that you misread my post. It said "close relative" not "closet relative". However, being the nice uncle that I am, if you'll send me your bank account, routing number and three examples of your signature......I'll see what I can do. Uncle Sun.

3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

When my niece graduated, I sent her $200 in the mail. Couldn't attend the graduation or party. Finally received a thank you card about 8 months later....damn ingrate.

I personally think that anything below $50 for a close relative, would be taken as being "cheap" and a fiver would be an insult.

At least you received a "thank you!" I quit gifting our (Hubby's side) niece's family after two Christmases with no TYs (I previously bought gifts for the 6 of them). Besides, she is a foul mouthed, L.D. (I can't write those words due to personal standards ;) ). She disowned her mother after her mother said, "all lives matter."

Announcements?? What kinda fancy pants school good you go to?

No announcements for me. No cash nor presents. Handshakes and attaboys was all.

And kisses from my future bride.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

When I graduated high school, back in 1973, most of the people I sent announcements to gave me money. I appreciated that - after all, how many Cross pens can one fellow use?

The next year, when I got my first job, my new boss informed me that even though I was not worth that much, he had to pay me $2 an hour because that's what minimum wage was.

If, in the year of 2020, you were to send somebody money for high school graduation, how much would you give them?

Seems like I recently read that minimum is 7 and 1/2. Two and a half times that is somewhere around $19, so twenty bucks would be about the same thing as I got back then.

But - just doing my normal brain picking thing - if you were giving money to a graduate, how much would you give? 20? 50? 100? 5 ("if it was good enough for me consarnit, it ought to be good enough for my grandson!") :P

I gave my grandson $50.00 and a Maverick shotgun.

Howdy:

I gave each of the grand kids $5K for graduation gifts - that was to be used for books and pizza in the University (TAM)  - It got spent and I got Two grads from there - $350 to get a suit and go look for a job.  They are employed.  With new suits! :-)  Seems to  work.  When they graduated from their training schools (police Academy and Infantry Officers Basic) they got another $350 to go buy pizza and beer to celebrate.  Thees are not big gifts, just some small pieces of cake as the real world will challenge them soon enough.  There will be gifts along the way til I check out for the back 40. :-)  

My father used the old school method, I got $1K - had to pay it back $2K.  His thoughts were, if I was using it, he wasn't so I needed to pay him back what he lost thru my using his money.  Great lesson for me - there ain't no free lunch - even from your dad. :-)  I miss his sage advice, but I am a softie.  I am getting close to the finish line - they don't use $$ where I am going, so, give it to the  tribe now - they can use it and maybe learn how to make it grow into something big. :-)

STL Suomi

I know a lot of us got a suitcase and it already had our clothes in it !!!!     GW

All my grandkids get $100 for graduation.

“Thanks in advance for your gift.”??

Send a box, empty, but with the note, “Think nothing of it.”

Cat Brules

With this generation, when you send the money, whatever amount, in an envelope, you must include a thank you card and self-addressed, stamped envelope as well, in order to get a faster response.

Something like this.....

image.png.867721505ad064bbfbea11d04a567a0b.png

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

You graduated in 73 too!! What was your class chant! Ours was “ Booze, sex, LSD we’re the class of 73”.

43 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

You graduated in 73 too!! What was your class chant! Ours was “ Booze, sex, LSD we’re the class of 73”.

I graduated from high school in 1960.  Dad took my old Colt SAA that bought for under $0.00 when I was 14 years old and gave me new Colt SAA and a box of shells.  He gave about $100.00 for it and that was small fortune at the time.  I still have it.  It's been refurbished twice and has worn maybe a dozen sets of grips and ridden in a dozen or so holsters, but it's still a good gun.  I retired it when I retired in 2005.

Well, it's 7 years away for the 1st, 18 years away for the last with 2 others in there. I suppose $100.00 won't be anything special by then. My mother was able to set $5,000.00 away for each of her 7 grandchildren for college ( or trade school). I'm working on it. Still got a ways to go. I'm wondering if I'll live long enough to see the last one graduate.

Most of these responses seem to be talking about presents for grandchildren.

I was thinking more like the kid four houses down that used to mow your lawn. Or the son of one of the guys that you work with. Maybe a grown up buckaroo from a match.

Not related to you. Just some kid that you know.

How much would you give him?

I sell graduate pens in a presentation case for $125.00. This year I am going to be stuck with several in inventory.

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

I was thinking more like the kid four houses down that used to mow your lawn. Or the son of one of the guys that you work with. Maybe a grown up buckaroo from a match.

$0.00. A verbal congrats or a card.....no cash.

My next door neighbor had a son and daughter graduate high school within two years of each other. I gave them $25.00 each

I gave my great nieces and nephew $50.00 each.

In 69, I got $10 from Mom & Dad.   And my brother loaned me his car (66 Plymouth Sport Fury) full

of gas.   Me and a male friend took 3 GIRLS to the local swimming hole and had a blast all day.....

..... the $10 was all gone at the end of the day.  :lol:

..........Widder

11 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

I sell graduate pens in a presentation case for $125.00. This year I am going to be stuck with several in inventory.

Just think what they will be worth years down the road.

12 hours ago, Alpo said:

The only times we have done anything is when work associates or family friends have invited us to graduation parties or the like. Every time that has happened, that I recall the invitation has been sent in an graduation announcement. Our standard gift has always been, after determining what the graduate-to-be's plans were after high school, to buy an appropriate $25.00 gift card.

20 hours ago, G W Wade said:

I know a lot of us got a suitcase and it already had our clothes in it !!!!     GW

That's almost exactly what I got!  A full five piece set of cheap Fingerhut nylon luggage.  I had to pack it myself though.  When my kids graduated, I gave them as much as I could to get them started in life.  The way I see it, they got a hell of a lot more than I did when leaving home! 

Howdy,

I would think five dollars like you got would be just fine....

Of course those would need to be real silver dollars...Right??

Best

CR

Archived