SASS Wire Forum

Panic in the streets

I work part time at a LGS to support my gun habit.  The gun trade has been busy since last fall, but this year has been epic.  

Yesterday, we had people standing in line a half hour before we opened.  It rained most of the day, but they kept coming.  AR-15s, Glock pistols, pocket pistols, home defense shotguns....and ammo, lots of magazines and ammo.  This is at a small gunshop reminiscent of a old time country store.  

Our business yesterday was about 5 times more than this time last year.  We didn't sell out, but we might run out of 9mm and 5.56 ammo today.  

NICS went down on us two or three times (we do the computer entry).  I resorted to trying to get through on a phone one time, and gave up after 10 minutes of listening to the phone ring while waiting on a technician to answer.  We were seeing a high number of delays as well.  

Didn’t the NICS telephone support help line finally ring through to their help desk in Manila, The Philippines?  :mellow:  :wacko:

Cat Brules

Yup. Crazy busy here too. Lines everywhere and a run on pretty much everything.

Everyone I saw seemed calm, cool and collected though.

18 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Yup. Crazy busy here too. Lines everywhere and a run on pretty much everything.

Everyone I saw seemed calm, cool and collected though.

We had one guy get a bit indignant when he got delayed.  In his defense, he buys a couple of guns a month without being delayed, but it happened.  He left in better spirits, though, after assurances from us that he'd be called as soon as possible.  

How about the demographic of the customers. First time buyers? Converted liberals? Old timers?

Just now, Warden Callaway said:

What d'hell is the matter with people? 

Fear, plain and simple. Most people in this country lead safe, comfortable lives. They are complacent and never give much though to worst case scenarios. So when something very bad happens, it throws their world into chaos and they don’t know what to do. When W22 broke out the country was populated by a much tougher generation who had been through rough times already. They didn’t panic. Times change.

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Fear, plain and simple. Most people in this country lead safe, comfortable lives. They are complacent and never give much though to worst case scenarios. So when something very bad happens, it throws their world into chaos and they don’t know what to do. When W22 broke out the country was populated by a much tougher generation who had been through rough times already. They didn’t panic. Times change.

Does this remind you of having to close down a road due to an accident or some other reason. People have no idea how to get home and you tell them just drive one bock down then head North. And they reply, "I don't know how to go that way". So many people are just plain STUPID, always have been. JUST STUPID.

1 minute ago, Smoken D said:

Does this remind you of having to close down a road due to an accident or some other reason. People have no idea how to get home and you tell them just drive one bock down then head North. And they reply, "I don't know how to go that way". So many people are just plain STUPID, always have been. JUST STUPID.

They are creatures of habit for sure. Most herd animals are.

I don't want to imply law abiding, competent people shouldn't have all the guns an ammo they want.  But I hear from local gun shop that many are first time buyers.  I can't see much good coming from them taking guns and ammo home to a household of people not familiar with handling,  shooting and safe storage,  etc.  They'll shoot their eye out!

22 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

How about the demographic of the customers. First time buyers? Converted liberals? Old timers?

Pretty much the whole spectrum.  A LOT of first time buyers, though.  

2 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I don't want to imply law abiding, competent people shouldn't have all the guns an ammo they want.  But I hear from local gun shop that many are first time buyers.  I can't see much good coming from them taking guns and ammo home to a household of people not familiar with handling,  shooting and safe storage,  etc.  They'll shoot their eye out!

Unfortunately, true.  I do what I can, though.  I spent 30 minutes last week showing a 12 year old how to clean his single shot 410 and 22 rifle.  Him and his Granny seemed to appreciate it.  

BEFORE THE STAY AT HOME EDICT BY THE GOVERNOR:

My favorite LGS basically had no reasonably priced guns for sale. They have some expensive custom guns available. That’s it. 

The LAX Ammo store near me  had what seemed to be a constant line out the front door of at least 25 guys. I have no idea how much and what kind of AMMO  they have left. 

Other gun stores in the area are / were very low in handgun supplies. 

Everyone in my area is behaving respectably. People are helping one another and looking out for their neighbors. 

Man, autograph core sucks! 

39 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Fortunately for their eyes, most of those arms will never be loaded or even see the light of day.

29 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The LAX Ammo store near me  had what seemed to be a constant line out the front door of at least 25 guys. I have no idea how much and what kind of ammonia they have left. 

Spell checker designed by non gun people???

I wonder if this will have a positive affect on 2A banners that were sitting on the fence or will they be like the "reporter?" who was frightened terrified by the horrendus recoil of a .223 AR-15?

3 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I wonder if this will have a positive affect on 2A banners that were sitting on the fence or will they be like the "reporter?" who was frightened terrified by the horrendus recoil of a .223 AR-15?

I hope so. 

I stopped at the nearby Safeway on my way home yesterday, tried to get paper towels and Tylenol.  Paper goods aisle was picked clean as a bone on an anthill.  No Tylenol or other acetaminophen on the shelf, but plenty of others - both my wife and I are on meds for which ibuprofen is contraindicated so the others are not really a choice.

Went out this morning to see if there was any restocked.  Safeway had changed its hours and opened at 6 rather than 5 so I had to wait 10 minutes.  Usually they only  open the south doors early on.  Today there was a gaggle of people at the north door - the one nearest the paper goods - so they opened that one first.  By the time, maybe 2 minutes, I got to that aisle there were a dozen people or couples with their limit of two packs each of TP and paper towels.  You can bet that tomorrow they will be back to do the same.  Morons.  I picked up my one 6-pack of paper towels (I should have bought them last week, or maybe three weeks ago, but heck, three weeks ago we had a roll and a half left), and bottle of Tylenol.

While I was waiting for the store to open one lady, maybe in her late 60s came up.  She had on rubber boots, what looked like a plastic rain suit, mask, dishwashing gloves.  She had a belt mounted sanitizer dispenser and a big pack of antiseptic wipes.  She grabbed a cart and wiped down every part of it except the wheels.  She saw me watching her and asked if I wanted some of the hand sanitizer.  I politely declined.  She also, once the her decontam process was complete, squirted five or six pumps of sanitizer onto her gloves and kept rubbing and clapping her hands while jogging in place ("Might as well get some steps in.").

It would be great if all these new gun buyers would join the Second Amendment Foundation and the NRA.  But I expect the used (lightly used) gun market will be flooded in a year or so.

J-Bar: Just remind those you come in contact with:

Yes, it will likely happen again. Sooner than later!

38 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

It would be great if all these new gun buyers would join the Second Amendment Foundation and the NRA.  But I expect the used (lightly used) gun market will be flooded in a year or so.

A lot of them are still against guns.....for other people.

2 hours ago, Smoken D said:

Wow, echos of "But I live just over there."

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

[edit]

The LAX Ammo store near me  had what seemed to be a constant line out the front door of at least 25 guys. I have no idea how much and what kind of AMMO  they have left. 

Local news reports the county PD will be ticketing people in groups over 10.  Up to $1000.00 Fine and one year in jail.  I'm sure the cops are just loving it. :wacko:  It's a sure fire way to improve police/community relationships.  No amount of "Coffee with a Cop" days is going to fix that.  Glad I'm retired.

Honestly, tho, I don't see many, if any, cops citing anyone.  Unless you really p!$$ them off.

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

What d'hell is the matter with people? 

They come to the sudden realization that maybe the government (federal, state, local) won't be there this time if things go bad.

And they aren't entirely wrong.  What happens if the first responders start coming down with Covid-19, or the truck drivers?  The vast majority will get better in a week or so, but that won't help in the meantime.

I'm a full time work from home in CT.  I've made it through major snowstorms and hurricanes and I've learned to keep enough food on hand to make it through at least a month.   I have co-workers in the office in Phoenix.  Phoenix doesn't really do major weather events or earthquakes.  They see an occasional sandstorm and a couple of times a year the roads flood when they  get a heavy rain.  They have NO experience with having to deal or prepare for extended stay at home like I do.

15 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Local news reports the county PD will be ticketing people in groups over 10.  Up to $1000.00 Fine and one year in jail.  I'm sure the cops are just loving it. :wacko:  It's a sure fire way to improve police/community relationships.  No amount of "Coffee with a Cop" days is going to fix that.  Glad I'm retired.

Honestly, tho, I don't see many, if any, cops citing anyone.  Unless you really p!$$ them off.

Well, these guys were spread out with space between them so I don’t think they were violating anything. 

26 minutes ago, Chantry said:

They come to the sudden realization that maybe the government (federal, state, local) won't be there this time if things go bad.

And they aren't entirely wrong.  What happens if the first responders start coming down with Covid-19, or the truck drivers?  The vast majority will get better in a week or so, but that won't help in the meantime.

I'm a full time work from home in CT.  I've made it through major snowstorms and hurricanes and I've learned to keep enough food on hand to make it through at least a month.   I have co-workers in the office in Phoenix.  Phoenix doesn't really do major weather events or earthquakes.  They see an occasional sandstorm and a couple of times a year the roads flood when they  get a heavy rain.  They have NO experience with having to deal or prepare for extended stay at home like I do.

They have never had to deal with it on a Nationwide level. You're completely right, they see how badly prepared they were for this incident.

The government (federal, state, local) usually aren't there when things go bad. You don't really need to look any further than localized disasters. Hurricanes Michael, Katrina, Harvey, Sandy or Andrew. You were on your own for days and in some cases...weeks. If you wait for the government to provide assistance, shelter, water or food...you'll be in for a long wait. FEMA is a joke at best.

This is nationwide and not just a localized event. If the medical system somehow gets overwhelmed, a bunch of people will die and most not from the virus. The system just barely keeps itself going now with accidents, health emergencies and normal sickness.

One thing that glaringly stands out, the States on "lockdown" are three of the States with the most draconian gun laws. California, New York and Illinois. It would be interesting to see the stats on state by state gun sales to see which states are selling the most firearms.

7 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

They have never had to deal with it on a Nationwide level. You're completely right, they see how badly prepared they were for this incident.

The government (federal, state, local) usually aren't there when things go bad. You don't really need to look any further than localized disasters. Hurricanes Michael, Katrina, Harvey, Sandy or Andrew. You were on your own for days and in some cases...weeks. If you wait for the government to provide assistance, shelter, water or food...you'll be in for a long wait. FEMA is a joke at best.

This is nationwide and not just a localized event. If the medical system somehow gets overwhelmed, a bunch of people will die and most not from the virus. The system just barely keeps itself going now with accidents, health emergencies and normal sickness.

One thing that glaringly stands out, the States on "lockdown" are three of the States with the most draconian gun laws. California, New York and Illinois. It would be interesting to see the stats on state by state gun sales to see which states are selling the most firearms.

Having spent most of my growing up years on the Gulf Coast what's happening in the stores now is very similar to what happens before a hurricane, just more drawn out and slightly different stuff being bought. 

Archived