SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun pop up Clays

Col Del Rio

I have heard a bit about CAS shotgun targets that once struck they toss a clay bird in the air. Has anyone ever used one? Are these commercially available? How about plans to construct one?

I have heard a bit about CAS shotgun targets that once struck they toss a clay bird in the air. Has anyone ever used one? Are these commercially available? How about plans to construct one?

Yes, we use them quite a bit locally.  There is more than one supplier.  Get one that throws clays down range and not up range.  Also, I prefer they throw clays just high enough to clear a black powder cloud but not so high I have to shoot at a 60-degree or higher angle.

Yes, the Rivanna Rangers in Charlottesville, VA has one and does use it occasionally in their shoots.

Southern Missouri Rangers using one this weekend. We made it our self and a bit of a challenge for black powder shooters. Don't know if you hit the popper and just look for the bird flying out of your smoke. One of my favorites. 

51 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

We made it our self and a bit of a challenge for black powder shooters. Don't know if you hit the popper and just look for the bird flying out of your smoke.

You nail the target, then raise your shotgun, keeping your cheek on the comb. The target should appear above the smoke. You keep your muzzle under the target as you follow it up. When it stops moving, you fire. The target will fall down into your pattern.

17 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hint: Set the 'birds' dome down on the launch pad. Less breakage this way from the launch.

OLG

Never done that. Never had a problem with broken birds.

They are a BLAST!!!  I love shooting them!!!

54 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Never done that. Never had a problem with broken birds.

Has much to do with the force of the 'fling'. :lol:

When I know I have poppers on a stage. I use my trap loads with 1 1/8oz of #8 shot load, and not my wussy SASS 12ga reloads. ;)

Dome down of the 'bird' does seem to greatly reduce 'launch' loss.

OLG

1 1/8 ounces of #8 with a slightly less than square load of Schuetzen is my normal CAS load. Blasted out of my open choke Stevens it busts a clay if I do my part.

falmouth02_003%2002_zpsgmcppp9u.jpg

23 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hint: Set the 'birds' dome down on the launch pad. Less breakage this way from the launch.

OLG

We have found more breakage with the dome down setup and get a better throw with dome up.

Marshal Stone

I love shooting them.  Especially on "special days" when instead of a clay we use a can of soda that is shaken up!  Not sure of commercial choices; however, Pig Iron Lane made ours.  PM me for contact info.

RK

5 minutes ago, Sweet & Sassy Cindy said:

I guess I better learn how to shoot clays!!!

It’s pretty easy! Load shotgun. Shoot knockdown, keeping head down on gun, wait for bit to fly flow it up, when bead hits bird, pull trigger. Make sure to not stop the gun moving.

On 5/28/2018 at 1:15 PM, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

1 1/8 ounces of #8 with a slightly less than square load of Schuetzen is my normal CAS load. Blasted out of my open choke Stevens it busts a clay if I do my part.

falmouth02_003%2002_zpsgmcppp9u.jpg

Yeah, but you let your hula hoop fall down around your ankles when you shot!;)

We do poppers, but we use charcoal briquettes on them.  Pretty cool addition, I managed to get two dead on the last time I shot practice.   Makes your chest swell a bit-especially if you're like me and never shot skeet or bird before.

22 hours ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Let me state, I’m not in costume! I’m in my backyard. I shooting an SKB inertia trigger with 410 tubes using Winchester AAs shells. Oh, and the clays were set dome up. 

BE56B2BB-3E98-463A-BB76-CADEB6C53DB3.MOV

Hey Boggus,  your video won't open for me.

See ya in a couple of weeks at EOT.

Marshal Stone

On 5/29/2018 at 2:26 PM, Buffalo Dick, SASS #12880 said:

Yeah, but you let your hula hoop fall down around your ankles when you shot!;)

It's been at least ten years since that photo was taken, but I seem to remember we were required to stand in the hula hoop. I think it was a shotgun run, with a whole bunch of targets. The hula hoops were set out as the places to shoot from. You can see from the photo that there were two more poppers and two more knock downs. I really don't remember if there was more than that, it was a long time ago and I don't remember what I ate for breakfast this morning.

We had one at the PA State Match this past weekend.

I have made six of varying designs.  I came up with a new design this past winter and started to make another, then realized that I always shoot underneath the bird, thus no more poppers.

Archived