SASS Wire Forum

Making a Ruger like a Colt

12 hours ago, Barbwire Bill, SASS #661 said:

I know several gunsmiths can set up a Ruger without a transfer bar, but does this modification disconnect the loading gate feature so you can load on half cock vs having the hammer down and using the loading gate to free the cylinder?  

With tongue planted firmly in cheek.........:D

Why would anydangbody, what to bring their Ruger down to a Colt? :huh: :lol:

OLG

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

With tongue planted firmly in cheek.........:D

Why would anydangbody, what to bring their Ruger down to a Colt? :huh: :lol:

OLG

I am a HARD CORE Ruger guy and even I’m not brave enough to utter those words......even in jest. You better sleep with the light on for a while or the ghost of John Wayne might be paying you a not so friendly visit. :(

Howdy,

I have heard that the ruger drag line is helpful in slowing the cylinder a bit

to avoid over rotation. When the bolt slams into the front of the cylinder notch

it wears it a bit, Give it enough slams and one day that cylinder just might go

too far around.  If it happens just hope the primer is enough off line to NOT

get hit by the hammer.

Yes pards its not a flaw its a feature.

If you want a ruger with no drag lines get a three screw and have it Coltified per

West Fargo, may he rest in peace for all time.

We are talking lots of shooting, pushing limits.

And I hope all have great fun doing it. :)  

Best

CR

"Red Cent,  that has been modified for fanning, the leades are elingated and deepened, front sight removed and more than likely an aluminum barrel, i wouldnt shoot that with anything but wax bullets unless its been checked out, i have a similar one and they go for more than a typical ruger, just a heads up, 

take care, stay safe"

My point is that is a three screw Blackhawk cut and welded to look like a Colt. I have a few three screws and I always wanted to have two made into Cugers. Never got around to it. 

Yup, most world fast draw guns are toys rigged to shoot BP blanks or wax bullets. 

Statements here seem to imply that the turn line on a Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk manufactured after 1972 can be done away with. It can. Simply turn the cylinder so a cylinder notch is directly above the bolt stop and, then, close the loading gate. :rolleyes: 

Just to be clear, the drag line is caused by both the loading gate closing AND the cocking of the hammer.  The loading gate causes it when closing, the bolt is retracted by the loading gate and the bolt will hit whatever part of the cylinder is in line with it when the gate is closed.  Theoretically, you can rotate the cylinder so the bolt pops up into the notch or leade when closing the gate, but it's kind of a pain.  The hammer will do it every cycle, it can be cured by fabricating a longer hammer plunger and/or building up the bolt ear that the plunger rides on, unless you get lucky, this can be a time consuming to get proper fit/function.  While aesthetically annoying, the drag line really doesn't cause any problems.  There is a line of thought, that in a gun that will be run hard, the bolt should drop in or just prior to, the leade of the notch to eliminate the possibility of bounce and missing the notch.  There are other factors that can mitigate or make this possibility worse, spring tension, bolt shape, notch depth and condition etc.   Frankly, I think it's much ado about nothing, unless you have one refinished into a presentation piece like Turnbull might do.. 

19 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

ONLY after you get SWMBO's permission. :P

OLG

I did it the smart way. We had her guns done first. She couldn't say no after that.

Still, bring all Colt single actions or clones to a full cock before you let the hammer down. 

Howdy Again

Here is a photo of an 'original model' Vaquero with a Power Custom 1/2 cock hammer installed. The hammer is set at the 1/2 cock position and the chamber is nicely lined up with the loading gate. Which is the whole reason I installed them in the first place.

half%20cock%20hammer%20SN%20modified_zps

ive shot both - i like my current rugers , had issues with my clones but ive not shot a real colt except my 3040 converted to 22 cal so i guess i dont have enough experience to add much here , save to say my rugers work just fine without some of the issues ive had in the past , 

How does modifying these Rugers affect their resale value? I'm guessing to another cowboy action shooter it might help but to the general shooting public it may lower their resale value? Not that I'm going to sell any of my Rugers ( none of which I've done any work to ) just curious. 

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

How does modifying these Rugers affect their resale value? I'm guessing to another cowboy action shooter it might help but to the general shooting public it may lower their resale value? Not that I'm going to sell any of my Rugers ( none of which I've done any work to ) just curious. 

Pretty much any gun, just like with cars, you modify them for yourself, not for resale. The only way you’ll come close to getting your money back is to get lucky and find a buyer that’s looking for exactly what you have and wants it right now. Most folks willing to put down that kind of money want new, not used. Plus, the general public doesn’t have a clue what some of these modifications are or what they’re for. 

3 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Pretty much any gun, just like with cars, you modify them for yourself, not for resale. The only way you’ll come close to getting your money back is to get lucky and find a buyer that’s looking for exactly what you have and wants it right now. Most folks willing to put down that kind of money want new, not used. Plus, the general public doesn’t have a clue what some of these modifications are or what they’re for. 

Good points. Thanks.

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Truth be known-Rugers are  the adults, in the Colt world :lol:

OLG

Nope I disagree since Colt SAA was invented in 1873 the Rooger in the 1950's, Roogers are the inexperienced young uns!;)

13 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Nope I disagree since Colt SAA was invented in 1873 the Rooger in the 1950's, Roogers are the inexperienced young uns!;)

Nope-Rugers are the 'Young Guns' of today..........^_^

Colts, are of the caveman era......... :lol:

OLG

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Nope-Rugers are the 'Young Guns' of today..........^_^

Colts, are of the caveman era......... :lol:

OLG

Roogers are the punks, the ones with mullets and hairspray, mousse, perfume and studs in their tongues! Colts are real men!;)

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You left out baggy paints and tattoos........:P

OLG

No. Thems wud be Glocks.

;)

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Rugers are mo-better.......:D

OLG

Colts rule!!

The great thing about Ruger's are they can be modified to do everything. With half cock hammers, no transfer bars, a more reliable plunger spring they are hard to beat in this game. They don't have the nostalgia but they don't have the price tag either. 

Thank goodness we steered this thread far away from all that helpful, but tedious, technical mumbo-jumbo and digressed into the classic Colt vs Ruger debate.  Sumuns' mighta accimedentally lurnt summpin! 

Well,

Talking with Jim Martin today, I found out that back in the early days of fast draw (50's and 60's) competition Rugers were set up with bolt blocks to protect the lock work ( I figured they did, Jim is where I learned about them.). I know folks will say that they aren't needed but why wouldn't you want evey advantage available? Just as has been mentioned in the above posts, Rugers can be modified .  .  .  .  and heavily!!

That being the case, the same setup can be installed in a Cattleman ( or whatever Colt copy) that is in a Ruger.  Coil bolt spring, coil trigger spring and coil hand spring are a good start! The biggest difference is the ability to "fine tune" the coils so much more than than the flats or the wires. Flats and wires still work within a much smaller range and beyond that range, they start "stacking" or getting "heavier quicker" than a coil/ torsion spring.

What that really means is, a Cattleman/Colt/ (your favorite copy) can be made to run with ( dare I say even better than!?) Rugers all day long!! Of course, they need more help because of the original type action but, there are "fixes" for all of it. The truth is, all these revolvers (Rugers too!) are mechanical devices and ALL can be made better, bottom line.

All the Colt type fans have an advantage over the Rugers in play here ( most of them anyway) and that is the lighter weight!! All else being equal, the lighter car is fastest. Lighter SA should be too!!

Mike

If God made man, and Colt made um equal; why did I spend so much money on my Shotgun Boogie's!:angry:  Because they kick a##.  :lol:

I have always wondered how the old cowboys modified their firearms.  Lots of time around the campfire.  I know some took their sights off.  Any short strokes back then?  Give your thoughts.  I bet a lot of them put their shotgun belts up around their neck.:lol: Sorry, want your response!  Please

Archived