SASS Wire Forum

Making a Ruger like a Colt

I wonder if anyone called them cheaters for having their shotgun belts up high.  Could start a hell of a gunfight!!!!!  I  wear mine at my belly button.  No gunfights hear, but I am concerned they may start up in Texas.  Hear a lot of Texans are on belly button patrol.  Don't get mad, just a joke>:rolleyes:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong, I love the feel of a Colt, especially if Bob James has worked on it.

"All else being equal, the lighter car is fastest. Lighter SA should be too!! "

Best of worlds

Ruger3screwsknife002.jpg

Horsepower is the key. If you don't have it, the weight isn't that big a deal.

Colt really missed the 'mark', since they never chambered their SAA in .44 Magnum.

Colt's piss-poor/incompetent management, for several decades, has destroyed a large part of our American heritage.

OLG

LG, I would agree, but  it's the  "higher H. P. "  part that negates the  "all else being equal"  part .

The "all else .  .  ." part means - the same h.p., same torque, wheel size/width . . .  you know .  .  .   only difference is weight. That would be the deciding factor. 

How bout this-  two identical cars (in every way). 

1st one has one guy, the driver. The 2nd one has a driver (guy) and two chicks (just for fun,).

The guy by himself will have fun winning the race, the other guy is gonna just have fun! :D

Mike

7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Horsepower is the key. If you don't have it, the weight isn't that big a deal.

Colt really missed the 'mark', since they never chambered their SAA in .44 Magnum.

Colt's piss-poor/incompetent management, for several decades, has destroyed a large part of our American heritage.

OLG

True enough about their management but there's still just somethin' about a Colt in yer hand! I don't get that feeling with a Rooger!

3 hours ago, 45 Dragoon said:

LG, I would agree, but  it's the  "higher H. P. "  part that negates the  "all else being equal"  part .

The "all else .  .  ." part means - the same h.p., same torque, wheel size/width . . .  you know .  .  .   only difference is weight. That would be the deciding factor. 

How bout this-  two identical cars (in every way). 

1st one has one guy, the driver. The 2nd one has a driver (guy) and two chicks (just for fun,).

The guy by himself will have fun winning the race, the other guy is gonna just have fun! :D

Mike

Well-The 2nd guy already has the trophies. :lol:

OLG 

41 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

True enough about their management but there's still just somethin' about a Colt in yer hand! I don't get that feeling with a Rooger!

Is that cause the Ruger works.........:lol::D

OLG

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Is that cause the Ruger works.........:lol::D

OLG

So does the Colts! Never had one fail on me yet! I've seen Roogers break so what's your point???:P

Roogers have a clunky feel to them, even when they're smoothed out! Nothing like a finely tuned Colt!!

:lol:

I have broken Rugers, and seen Colt SAA's break.

Ruger, it's the t'bar most of the time. Colt SAA, most of the time the trigger/bolt spring, and I have seen a hammer spring let go.

BTW: Today, I can buy 4 Rugers for the price of 1 Colt SAA. I can easily get parts(usually FREE)for the Ruger.

Anydangthing can/will break. ^_^

And-I can usually break anydangthing too. :lol:

OLG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I have broken Rugers, and seen Colt SAA's break.

Ruger, it's the t'bar most of the time. Colt SAA, most of the time the trigger/bolt spring, and I have seen a hammer spring let go.

BTW: Today, I can buy 4 Rugers for the price of 1 Colt SAA. I can easily get parts(usually FREE)for the Ruger.

Anydangthing can/will break. ^_^

And-I can usually break anydangthing too. :lol:

OLG

Yep, and when you take em' you get decades of reliable performance. 

We can debate all day long and it's really a preference as to what you like. I just don't like the feel of Rugers, never did!

BTW When I say Colts I also include the Colt clones which are some really nice guns! I have 4 Uberti's (Taylors) 1 Pietta and only one Colt. The clones are priced the same as the Rugers. Parts are easy to get and when you have a wire trigger return spring and also a reduced power Wolff mainspring there's not much that can break!

Replacing the Colt SAA pawl spring is a PITA. 

I have had to make a replacement spring from flat spring steel, shim stock.

You're 'rite'-It's all about how it feels in your hand. ;)

Have you tried the Ruger NMV? I know my OMV is a big gun......

OLG

22 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Replacing the Colt SAA pawl spring is a PITA. 

I have had to make a replacement spring from flat spring steel, shim stock.

You're 'rite'-It's all about how it feels in your hand. ;)

Have you tried the Ruger NMV? I know my OMV is a big gun......

OLG

Yep tried the NM Vaquero, don't like the feel of it one bit!;) 

I've heard replacing the mainspring in a Ruger is a PITA too!!:o

Just now, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've heard replacing the mainspring in a Ruger is a PITA too!!:o

Do you mean the coil hammer spring, or another coil spring in the Ruger SA?

Have never seen any coil spring in a Ruger fail. 

OLG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

Exactly why I replace the flat action springs in the copies.

That way, the "Colt crowd" and the "Remington crowd" can be be on an even playing field.

Mike

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Do you mean the coil hammer spring, or another coil spring in the Ruger SA?

OLG

I didn't say fail, I said replace, ya know like with a lighter spring like 18# to 16 # or sumthin like that!<_<

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I didn't say fail, I said replace, ya know like with a lighter spring like 18# to 16 # or sumthin like that!<_<

Very easy to change out a Ruger hammer spring. ;)

All you need, is a paper clip and a fork.

OLG

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Very easy to change out a Ruger hammer spring. ;)

All you need, is a paper clip and a fork.

OLG

I've heard they're hard to replace but I believe you!! I'll never replace one because I'll never own one!:lol:

19 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've heard they're hard to replace but I believe you!! I'll never replace one because I'll never own one!:lol:

Easier than the Colt SAA. ^_^

The paper clip is used to hold the compressed hammer spring onto the strut. After the strut & spring are removed.

The fork allows you to push down on the strut's spring 'keeper',  then you remove the paper clip and R&R the spring.

Reverse for reassembly.

OLG

13 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

BTW: Today, I can buy 4 Rugers for the price of 1 Colt SAA. 

OLG

So? I can buy 3-4 Rossi’s for the price of a race ready 73. 3-4 stoegers for an skb. Being cheaper isn’t always better. 

12 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

So? I can buy 3-4 Rossi’s for the price of a race ready 73. 3-4 stoegers for an skb. Being cheaper isn’t always better. 

Neither is being horrendously overpriced, with almost no company(Colt)support.

The sad part is what has happened to Colt.

I still walk this planet, because my duty 1911 made by Colt-did it's job.

OLG

16 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Neither is being horrendously overpriced, with almost no company(Colt)support.

The sad part is what has happened to Colt.

I still walk this planet, because my duty 1911 made by Colt-did it's job.

OLG

On the Colt website I believe the MSRP on a Colt SAA is $1595.00 and while it takes forever to get one that's the price from Colt. The problem is "people" that have Colts are selling them or trying to sell them at outrageous prices.!!!!! I've been looking for a .357 3rd Gen. and the prices people want for them, even USED, is ridiculous! I remember when you could buy a Colt NIB for around $1000.00 and that was below MSRP. That's why I'm shooting Uberti's!!!;)

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

On the Colt website I believe the MSRP on a Colt SAA is $1595.00 and while it takes forever to get one that's the price from Colt. The problem is "people" that have Colts are selling them or trying to sell them at outrageous prices.!!!!! I've been looking for a .357 3rd Gen. and the prices people want for them, even USED, is ridiculous! I remember when you could buy a Colt NIB for around $1000.00 and that was below MSRP. That's why I'm shooting Uberti's!!!;)

The MSRP has gone up a bit: https://www.colt.com/category/revolvers

Something that some of you may have missed is You're not making a Ruger into a Colt, You're making it the way Bill Ruger originally designed it. With 4 clicks, a half cock and dependable as an anvil.

17 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

The MSRP has gone up a bit: https://www.colt.com/category/revolvers

Even that is way lower than what I've seen on the gun selling sites!:o

20 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

Something that some of you may have missed is You're not making a Ruger into a Colt, You're making it the way Bill Ruger originally designed it. With 4 clicks, a half cock and dependable as an anvil.

Yep. Just like a Colt

On 5/25/2018 at 12:07 PM, Redwood Kid said:

Yep. Just like a Colt

Except with coil springs that don't break.

3 minutes ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

Except with coil springs that don't break.

I’m trying to figure out which springs break. I’ve been shooting a pair of colts for most matches for about four years now. Nothing has broken. When I’m not shooting them, I’m shooting one of my other colts. One is from 1927. Nothing broken on that. Seems to me that the coil is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. At least for me anyway.  

Red-failure of the trigger/bolt leaf spring is very common in Colt and the copies. I have lost count of how many I have replaced with the Wolff wire spring.

The other part to watch for is the leaf spring on the pawl.

OLG

30 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Red-failure of the trigger/bolt leaf spring is very common in Colt and the copies. I have lost count of how many I have replaced with the Wolff wire spring.

The other part to watch for is the leaf spring on the pawl.

OLG

If you tune them properly they should last a very long time. Could possibly be a difference in shooting one handed versus two? Less strain on the parts maybe? 

Just the 'nature' of the spring design. Coil will always out last a leaf type spring.

The main reason Mr Ruger went with coils over flat leaf was the durability/life of the coil spring.

Tuning the action has little to do with leaf springs-It's metal fatigue that causes the leaf spring to break. The spring work hardens from the flexing and becomes brittle.

OLG

Archived