SASS Wire Forum

Any Glock fans out there?

Like Quigly, "...I don't have much use for them."

I don't like that 7 degree cant the put in the handle.

Gimme my Kimber or my XDM and I'm happy.

Anyway, I've got a friend who is all into Glocks.

I told I picked one up and it kept jamming.

Told Him I got a picture of as a picture is worth a thousand words and asked him if he could tell me what my problem was.

Anybody see anything wrong?

glack.jpg

I love my Glocks, all four of them.

Irish Tom

2 hours ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

I told I picked one up and it kept jamming.

What?

Maybe you shouldn't limp wrist it...

I have two. Good guns, but not great guns. Their durability and the fact that you can tear one down to its smallest parts with just a simple punch are probably their greatest positives. The grip shape and angle is probably the worst negative.

I shoot glocks very well.  But I can't get past the fact that you have to intentionally discharge it to disassemble it.  Faulty product design, IMHO.  

I'll stick with my Sig P series and my 1911s...not to mention my classic S&W and Ruger DA revolvers.

My into Glock was seeing one dropped from a chopper from several hundred feet. The instructor picked it up racked the slide and ran the mag dry without a hiccup. The only damage was a broken front sight and some new scuffs on the frame . Try that with your Kimber

6 hours ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

. . . . . . . .I told I picked one up and it kept jamming . . . . .

Anybody see anything wrong?

glack.jpg

Based solely on your picture, I'd say you were limp-wristing it, Willie.  :D   Either that or you're still "burping" your Tupperware.

I love my Glocks.  Been carrying either a G19 or G17 since 1990, everyday, everywhere allowed by law.  When I was a patrol Deputy with our Sheriff's Office, we could carry semi-auto's if we bought them.  I found a great deal on a Gen 1 Glock 17 and started carrying it on duty.  Never, ever, ever the slightest hickup.  Been carrying them ever since.  Not because they're the "greatest gun on earth" or any of the other hooey you may here from Glock fans.  It's just that I got used to them (funky grip angle and all) and bet my life on them for years.  Could've been the same with Sigs, Smiths, 1911's, etc.  Mine just happened to be a G17, and I've been happy and confident with them for 28 years.  I don't have to think about how they function or behave.  It's ingrained in my DNA by now.  I can clear malf's, break them down, and clean them in my sleep.  Lots of other great guns out there, but yes, I'm a Glock guy.

Steers y'all,

6 hours ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

Like Quigly, "...I don't have much use for them."

I don't like that 7 degree cant the put in the handle.

That's pretty much where I stand on them. I've shot them, they work, I just don't like them. 

I've also decided that I don't care for plastic guns in general. The only plastic gun I have is an LCP. If I could find a steel pistol about the same size, that I could afford, I'd dump it in a heartbeat. 

When I worked behind the gun counter,  if someone asked my my opinion of the Glock, I would just say they are reliable, solid firearms, and that I would likely never own one. I could never get used to the grip angle, and more importantly to me, the trigger. I would be clear that it was a personal preference. Having said that, we did have a few come back in need of repair. Two were 10mm, both with broken extractors, as I recall. I know there were a couple of others, but the 10mm stuck out, it just makes you realize how brutal that round can be.

44 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

That's pretty much where I stand on them. I've shot them, they work, I just don't like them. 

I've also decided that I don't care for plastic guns in general. The only plastic gun I have is an LCP. If I could find a steel pistol about the same size, that I could afford, I'd dump it in a heartbeat. 

Truth be told I sold my Glocks and I no longer own any polymer framed guns. I am not saying I won't own any, I just don't now.

I sold my Glock 19 because I just didn't care for it. I sold my Glock 34 to buy a Rossi 92. That Glock was the most reliable pistol I have ever owned.

Been toying with the idea of buying a Remington RP9.

58 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Based solely on your picture, I'd say you were limp-wristing it, Willie.  :D   Either that or you're still "burping" your Tupperware.

I love my Glocks.  Been carrying either a G19 or G17 since 1990, everyday, everywhere allowed by law.  When I was a patrol Deputy with our Sheriff's Office, we could carry semi-auto's if we bought them.  I found a great deal on a Gen 1 Glock 17 and started carrying it on duty.  Never, ever, ever the slightest hickup.  Been carrying them ever since...

I'm not disrespecting your opinion or anything, I knew I'd get flack over the post, just stirring the pot. I've got several friends who swear by them and my own son is a big fan. I think it was a 17 that I had tried in idpa, like I said it just never felt right in my hand. The XDM fit me better, not to mention that it has almost as much plastic in it as the glock:lol: Hey, they do work for LEO's though, right?

1 minute ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

I'm not disrespecting your opinion or anything, I knew I'd get flack over the post, just stirring the pot. I've got several friends who swear by them and my own son is a big fan. I think it was a 17 that I had tried in idpa, like I said it just never felt right in my hand. The XDM fit me better, not to mention that it has almost as much plastic in it as the glock:lol: Hey, they do work for LEO's though, right?

You have a point about not fitting everyone's hand. That is why I dumped the Glock 19. 

No disrespect taken at all, Willie.  I was just funnin' back with you.

When our Sheriff's Office finally did transition from revolvers to Semi-auto's, they went with Sig's department wide.  I gave up my G17 to carry a P226 when the transition was mandated.  It took me almost 1K rounds to get used to the new grip angle, double-single action, and overall new ergonomics.  I didn't like it at first, but after I got used to it I became more fond of Sigs.  Great guns.

27 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

When our Sheriff's Office finally did transition from revolvers to Semi-auto's, they went with Sig's department wide. ...Great guns

I had a bud way back when I was a Dealer who worked undercover for HPD. His weapon of choice was a python. He took 2nd place with it in Texas LEO pistol championship. 1st place went to a State Trooper with a Sig. The two of them traded weapons and went through the course again. My bud came to my house and told me, "Order me a Sig." Apparently he was not fond of kicking doors down to find out the bad guys on the other side had considerably more firepower than his 6 shots.

Its an acquired taste that I was unable to acquire.........no denying that they work very well.  I kept my Colt 1911 while all were going to Glocks, younger officers called me a dinosaur.  

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

When I worked behind the gun counter,  if someone asked my my opinion of the Glock, I would just say they are reliable, solid firearms, and that I would likely never own one. I could never get used to the grip angle, and more importantly to me, the trigger. 

I agree about the factory trigger.  But like our cowboy guns and 1911s, mod parts for Glocks is an industry in itself. I installed a new trigger and am not only very happy with it, I like it better than all the many comparable guns I've handled. The take up is predictable, and the break is very clean, unlike all the other mushy striker fired stuff that's out there. The gun does everything I bought it for which is CCW. It's a tool that I trust. YMMV. :)

I have a clock 22 40sw been shooting it IPSC for about ten years.

Never any problems, I would say close to 60,000 rounds the most reliable gun I have ever owned.

my two cents even that we do not use pennies any more in the Great White North

Lefty

12 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I agree about the factory trigger.  But like our cowboy guns and 1911s, mod parts for Glocks is an industry in itself. I installed a new trigger and am not only very happy with it, I like it better than all the many comparable guns I've handled. The take up is predictable, and the break is very clean, unlike all the other mushy striker fired stuff that's out there. The gun does everything I bought it for which is CCW. It's a tool that I trust. YMMV. :)

I've been told that same thing many times by Glock fans. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, although if someone is obnoxious about it my usual retort is "So much for Glock perfection?" If I were in the market for a striker fire pistol, that still leaves a grip angle that I don't care for. I don't see the need to invest in a trigger job on a firearm I don't care for the ergonomics of, when there are striker fire pistols out there with ergonomics and triggers that I really like, such as the H&K VP9 (if you can get used to paddle mag releases) and the Walther PPQ. Being a Beretta guy (I'm very fond of my M9 and PX4), I would really like to get my hands on a Beretta APX, because I have heard good things about them, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Howdy

Once upon a time I bought a used glock.

the adjustable rear sight was cracked and I sent it back to glock

for repair and requested the simpler rear sight.

They put the sight like I requested and returned the glock in

record time. Seems like maybe a week?

Glocks were still pretty new and we decided to test it with all the old

9mm ammo sitting around the shop.  I filled the mag with dirty old

non matching 9mm from the bottom of boxes from gun shows and

any thing we could find.  

I took it out to the backstop and fired off the entire mag with only one

problem. The very last round stovepiped.

Best

CR

The big difference between a Glock and a Sig is that I can teach a monkey to detail strip a Glock. There is one part in a Sig that if put in wrong will turn your Sig into a permanent single shot. Do you know which part it is ?

12 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Do you know which part it is ?

no, what is it?

5 hours ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

no, what is it?

The mag release plunger. A very tiny part but if you put it in backwards and insert a mag you're hosed, and it will go in backwards

25 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

The mag release plunger. A very tiny part but if you put it in backwards and insert a mag you're hosed, and it will go in backwards

I started to reply and then realized that you're not talking about the release, which is the first thing I switched on my 320 as I am left handed...

3 hours ago, Red Eye Jim said:

I started to reply and then realized that you're not talking about the release, which is the first thing I switched on my 320 as I am left handed...

That is the part in the 226 series. There is a small plunger and spring there that if put in backwards will require sending the frame back to Sig to be drilled out

It took me a long time to switch to Glock from 1911.  I did it mainly because most of the people I was instructing were shooting Glock.  I've never looked back and still carry a Glock daily.  Great tools.  I appreciate the humor in this original post!!

I've tried a number of glocks and I don't like how they shoot.  Every single one of them dumped hot brass on me.  Some just landed on my arm, but too many went down my shirt.  I'd probably have the same problem with my CAS rifle if I wasn't wearing a cowboy hat.  So I always say I don't like glocks and they don't like me. 

BTW, the constant refrain of "yer limp wristin it" from glock fans anytime a shootability problem is reported does nothing to improve their standing.  Even if my limp wrists are making it eject funny, there's gotta be a reason it's only a problem with 1 brand of gun. 

I bought my first Glock in 1992. A Glock 17 model and loved it. I have owned and still own Glocks of different sizes and calibers. They have all been trouble free, fantastic , accurate firearms. I don't have anything negative to say about Glock other than they are so reliable they're boring.

On 3/7/2018 at 2:14 PM, Ramblin Gambler said:

I've tried a number of glocks and I don't like how they shoot.  Every single one of them dumped hot brass on me.  Some just landed on my arm, but too many went down my shirt.  I'd probably have the same problem with my CAS rifle if I wasn't wearing a cowboy hat.  So I always say I don't like glocks and they don't like me. 

BTW, the constant refrain of "yer limp wristin it" from glock fans anytime a shootability problem is reported does nothing to improve their standing.  Even if my limp wrists are making it eject funny, there's gotta be a reason it's only a problem with 1 brand of gun. 

My wife saw a Glock 19 with factory out of the box US flag paint job which she had to have; so, we now own a Glock.  It joined our pistol collection of CZ85, Kimber Ultra CDP, H&K USP 40 V2 & Taurus TCP.  Only the TCP doesn't stovepipe if limp wristed.  The TCP will fly out of your hand if not held firmly.  The Kimber & the CZ are the best pointing of the lot.  Haven't shot the Glock 19 yet.  In late 90's when I acquired the H&K I did a lot of research on what auto loading handgun I should buy.  At the time I wanted all the safety bells & whistles plus controls for a southpaw.  The USP was the only pistol that had a variant for lefties.  Ambi guns like the CZ85 & Kimber aren't completely ambi.

Archived