SASS Wire Forum

what dot powder is better

evil dogooder

Going to try new powders. The lgs has red green blue and clay dot. Which is best?

The question is rather like which is better a F150, 250 or 350 Dually. It will be totally dependent on what you want the powder to do, all things being equal lighter smaller bullets faster powder like red dot, bigger heavier bullets slower powder, that is not to say that a fast powder will not work for a larger heavier bullet if a slow side velocity is desired.

Get a loading manual, check out the data for the calibers you shoot and figure out which powder will work best for you across the board based on calibers, bullet weights and velocities you want to achieve.

Were it me, I'd get the Clay Dot. But I'm a confirmed Clays fan for smokeless in .32, 38, 45 & 12 ga, so .... YMMV

Oops, stupid tablet...

When I'm not shooting Holy Black I use Clay Dot or Unique. Lately I can't find either though so I've been using 700x. When the Missus :wub: joins us soon she'll be using 700x in her shotgun and Clay Dot in her Vaqueros. I'm down to my last 1lb of Clay Dot though :(

Clay Dot. I've loaded thousands of light .38 spls with a 125 grain slug. It's actually a better powder than Clays (not weak in cold weather in light loads), and cheaper too. Clay Dot loads to just almost exactly the same load weight as Clays, even in cartridges, per my experience.

Second place - Red Dot. Both of these can very easily load the light .38 spl, AND light 12 gauge loads that cowboy shooters love so much.

Good luck, GJ

Ditto as to what Garrison Joe quoted.

Used Red Dot and very reliable pistol's, Rifle's, Shotgun.

Half the cowboys in my area, me included, shoot Reddot in .38, .357, .45 Colt and 12 gage.

There may be some better choices for any one of these cartridges, but RD is good across the board, almost always available and one of the less expensive per shot.

RED DOT...actually PROMO ($20 cheaper) I load just about everything pistol with it short of magnum hunting loads. And it's not temperature sensitive the way Clays is up here in the Minnesota north. Remember that when we have the next winter speciality shoot at Kimball...

Green Dot is highly thought of in some high power pistol circles. I is the only powder I have ever poured out so that I would not be tempted to use. It bridged in every powder measure I tried to use.

Red Dot works well for my SG and rifle pistol loads. I've been using it for about 5 years now and never had a problem. There seems to be a plentiful supply out here. A friend of mine had a 15 keg that he wanted to get rid of and I couldn't pass it up at $150.00 so with that and the 10 lbs or so that I already had I shouldn't ever have to buy any more.

My wife Dixie shoots Red Dot and Unique in all her guns. Red dot is very mild with the recoil. So is Unique when loaded properly. Unique is by far my favorite powder.

BD

"DOTS" are not applicable. You should be looking for "Fs." Like, fg, ffg., fffg, ffffg. I like ffg, for most everything, rifle, pistol, shotgun. Keeps it real simple. Need a little more oomph? fffg.

"DOTS" are not applicable. You should be looking for "Fs." Like, fg, ffg., fffg, ffffg. I like ffg, for most everything, rifle, pistol, shotgun. Keeps it real simple. Need a little more oomph? fffg.

I really have trouble with people that can't spell.

It should be Fg. FFg. FFFg or FFFFg!

Try to get it right!

<_<

Archived