SASS Wire Forum

Fried Okra......mmmmmmm good

That's about the only way I'll eat it.

Howdy:

Fried Okra, Okra in Gumbo, Okra in soup, Okra Pickled - ALL are absolutely YUMM-OOO.

AND rutabaga and turnips, two more delicious veggies (Taste kinda like a cabbage and with the consistency of a boiled or mashed potato) - a great combination of flavors.

I think I will go to the kitchen and look for a snack - all this thinking of great food has made me hungry. :-)

STL Suomi

Okra. Dat's some of the nastiest stuff on the face of the planet.

I suppose that if I had been fed fried or pickled first, I might could stomach it. But when having been forced to eat that slimy boiled gunk, the fried and pickled have the same flavor, if not the texture, of the boiled, so it don't go in my mouth.

Funny story with okra. If I have fried okra on my plate, my dog will sit in my lap and oh so casually reach over and sneak a piece or two. I thought it was funny until one day she reached over and tried dragging my steak off while I wasn't looking. She is a shih tzu so she couldn't get far with it. Put some sugar in while you fry the okra is about the only way I eat it.

My mother used to fix fried okra covered in cornmeal. I could make a whole dinner out of just her fried okra.

By the way. Who's this nefarious character from Mule Camp, 2007? I bet he'd steal the fried okra right off your plate!!

481Widow_Maker_Hat_B.jpg

What's an okra? :P

Won't find that in a grocery store or a garden up here.....

Or grits.....

Or collard greens.....

Or black-eyed peas....

But we do have rutabaga.

LL

I'd just plain hav'ta move

All the water Oklahoma has received in the last month has caused our Okra to go kaput. shame too, we usually get a bumper crop that feeds us through the fall and winter. We are planting again this weekend in the hopes of getting at least a few tasty morsels.

Fried is the number one winner followed by pickled in our secret garlic brine. It's also fastastic in white fish gumbo. . .

canned okra is like buying canned snot - there's no real reason to do it.

My mother used to fix fried okra covered in cornmeal. I could make a whole dinner out of just her fried okra.

By the way. Who's this nefarious character from Mule Camp, 2007? I bet he'd steal the fried okra right off your plate!!

481Widow_Maker_Hat_B.jpg

I remember asking that feller what in the world he was doing, with such a serious look on his face.

He said: "somebody down there amongst them camping trailers is fryin up some Okra and baked beans and I can smell it."

Then he said: "ifn anyone starts lookin for Widder and Madd Mike, tell em we are socializing amongst the campers"....then he commenced to walk away with a smile on his face.

True Story!

..........Widder

I remember asking that feller what in the world he was doing, with such a serious look on his face.

He said: "somebody down there amongst them camping trailers is fryin up some Okra and baked beans and I can smell it."

Then he said: "ifn anyone starts lookin for Widder and Madd Mike, tell em we are socializing amongst the campers"....then he commenced to walk away with a smile on his face.

True Story!

..........Widder

Fried baked beans???? :blink:

Hey Joe, I just eat it. I don't make it..... :lol::lol::lol:

Besides, you just never know what might be conjured up on a camp site down in Georgia during the summer time..... :o

..........Widder

Hey Joe, I just eat it. I don't make it..... :lol::lol::lol:

Besides, you just never know what might be conjured up on a camp site down in Georgia during the summer time..... :o

..........Widder

Possum and gator?

What's an okra? :P

Won't find that in a grocery store or a garden up here.....

Or grits.....

Or collard greens.....

Or black-eyed peas....

But we do have rutabaga.

LL

Camouflage name for "string beans & snot."

For now, I'll just get my big ole COUNTRY REDNECK OKRA EATTIN' MOUTH SHUT......fer now. I'll bide my time but rest assured, yur Yankee words will come round and bite ya ! :angry:

Okra one of Gods blessings.

It is great fried but love it boiled with Speckled Butter Beans and Fatback and with a piece of cornbread.

Leftovers heat up good the next day also.

It is great fried but love it boiled with Speckled Butter Beans and Fatback and with a piece of cornbread.

Well now.. never had fatback...

Put I did happen to have some pork bellies last year

MIGHTY good eating!

LL

I have eaten okra and grits once! I think they are illegal north of West Virginia :)

and so are guns, in some areas. Looks like those North of WV are missing out one 2 of lifes blessings... ;)

..........Widder

Moma used to fry fatback in a cast iron skillet, and serve it with pinto beans and other supper time goodies.

I could eat that fried fatback as a snack, although it was alittle on the salty side, ifn ya know what I mean.

..........Widder

Camouflage name for "string beans & snot."

Okra. Dat's some of the nastiest stuff on the face of the planet.

I suppose that if I had been fed fried or pickled first, I might could stomach it. But when having been forced to eat that slimy boiled gunk, the fried and pickled have the same flavor, if not the texture, of the boiled, so it don't go in my mouth.

Anybody who'd deliberately eat okra would drink his own bath water and bay at the the moon. THERE! That oughtta make me some friends. :P:D

Great! More for me!!

Ain't nothing better than fresh okra that's been battered in cornmeal and fried in bacon grease.

Sow bosom, fried okry, pinto beans, and turnip or mustard greens, Now that there is some larrupin' good grazin'! Oops, cant forget the cornbread and jalepenos, never forget the cornbread!

Great! More for me!!

Ain't nothing better than fresh okra that's been battered in cornmeal and fried in bacon grease.

Whenever someone raves about the glory of deep-fried vegetables, I have a sneaking suspicion that the glory lies in the breading and the fat, not the soft innards. :wacko:

LL

Whenever someone raves about the glory of deep-fried vegetables, I have a sneaking suspicion that the glory lies in the breading and the fat, not the soft innards. :wacko:

LL

There could be some truth to that, but the secret is to use only fresh vegetables. Store bought or frozen doesn't have the same flavor.

:)

CBG

Archived