SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Western Movie Shootout

Sawhorse Kid

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do kinda favor the one in Open Range.

Very difficult for me to choose. Three that come to mind immediately, in no particular order.

Tombstone-- Doc Holliday and Johnny Ringo "Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."

Open Range-- the final shootout, as has been mentioned

The Outlaw Josey Wales-- "Hell is coming to breakfast" (or perhaps several others!)

Shane-- "I've heard you're a low-down yankee liar."

Quigley Down Under-- "I said I never had much use for one. I never said I didn't know how to use it."

Yep, I had to edit to add Shane and Quigley after others mentioned them!

The final shootout in "Bad Girls" - "pick it up, put it in, die like a man"

The last fight in "Big Jake" - " I thought you was dead? ..... Not hardley"

Final showdown in "El Dorado" - " I brung us some die-knee-might "

1: Open Range

2: Tombstone

3: Quigley

4: Wild Bunch

5: Unforgiven

:)

Wild Bunch

Open Range

Tombstone

Quigely

A bunch of Eastwood's shootouts

A lot of times the dialog is just as entertaining as the blood and guts.

Open Range was a masterfully choreographed and filmed gunfight.

I turn the speakers up to 11. ;)

No arguments here, but you gotta love Grace Kelly shooting Bob Wilke in High Noon...

... But I agree Open Range and The Wild Bunch set the standard pretty high.

I rather like the shootout in Appaloosa when Lance Henrickson and friend free Jeremy Irons from his cousins jail.

Six parties to the fight and five get shot up in short order.

"That was quick".

"Everybody knew how to shoot."

As much as I like Appaloosa, Open Range gets my vote - even with Costner's "high capacity magazines" (I know, I know - one revolver, filmed from multiple angles). I was particularly fond of Duvall's shotgun work. The main distinction, I think, was the sense of everything being hurried, of men trying their darnedest to shoot as fast as they could. And sometimes, their accuracy really suffered. Sound familiar? Quite a contrast to so many movie gunfights, where every shot fired (even those not well aimed) hits a target. Ever notice that in Shane, Alan Ladd's last shot is off to the right at about a 45 degree angle, and below level? He still hits the bad guy in the balcony.

LL

They shoot off to the side so they don't burn the other guy with the blank. This should be disguised by camera angle. Apparently the Shane cameraman oopsed.

The main distinction, I think, was the sense of everything being hurried, of men trying their darnedest to shoot as fast as they could. And sometimes, their accuracy really suffered. Sound familiar? Quite a contrast to so many movie gunfights, where every shot fired (even those not well aimed) hits a target.

Took the words right outta my mouth, Loophole. One of the best parts of that scene comes at the end when the townsfolk are running after a bad guy on foot. Took several shots at close range to bring him down.

Surprised no has mentioned the final gunfight with Jesse James gang in Northfield, MN from "The Longriders".

I always thought the shootout in Open Range was about as good as it gets but there have been several really good ones in Justified. Now I dare you to tell me that Justified isn't a Western set in modern times.

The most realistic one was the gunfight in the street in Kevin Costner's Wyatt Earp when Wyatt is young and sneeks a peek in the saloon in town. That is how gunfights really were. . . .

I also like the Lee Van Cleef fight in the street early in "For A Few Dollars More" . . . no realistic at all . . . but fun with that roll of guns on the horse . . . and his long barreled revolver with the shoulder stock. I have the outfit and gun to do that scene.

For that matter, James Coburn's technique early in Waterhole #3 was admirable...standing behind his horse, resting his rifle on the saddle to cut down the fellow who was calling him out.

Not really the gunfight the thread had in mind, however.

Archived