SASS Wire Forum

Simple question for gunfighters.

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

No, no, no, no, no.

My definition of split pistols means something happens between the first 5 shots and the second 5 shots that requires at least one pistol to leave one's hand. Shooting a different firearm or handling a prop are examples. Moving between shots is not splitting and (in my not at all humble opinion) can not be considered part of the definition. Just because one does not like or feel comfortable moving with a gun in each hand does not change the definition.

I don't even mind splitting pistols as long as I can safely stage them between strings. Just don't make me shoot duelist. :)

RR

Yes. Only because I have seen GFs shoot it double duelist to avoid over cocking. I didn't like it until I started counting to four instead of five(if I counted to five six was cocked) then I thought they were fun. What's not to like about running with both guns out bringing bad intentions to the next target.

Yes or No answer on the wire. Seriously ?

No. Hazard to moving between 5/5 is double cockers primarily, will need extry attention in the form of honorable mention during reading of the stage

Beg to differ. Saw it happen 3 weeks ago to very seasoned Gfer that single cocks, he did fire the round before moving but he did do it.. Not to mention stumbling with guns out.. It happens!! ;)

Spades H.

Remember when gunfighters had to "qualify?" We could go back to something similar: "Must be able to walk and chew gum simultaneously."

Sooo, these types of things don't, or won't ever happen to a GFer, once they have had the qualif as GFer course??? -_-

Spades H.

I have not shoot gunfighter for that long.I will not move with my pistols.I always shoot a stage with movement Double duelist,only because I am not comfortable moving with my pictols.

Yes, it changes the rhythm for one thing. It would be the same as you shooting 5 rifle and moving for the next five. That said, I do not mind seeing this at matches on a stage or maybe two.

I wonder how many of the "no's" are gunfighters?

yes and no, depending on the shooter.

I don't consider them as split pistol...

I like split pistol stages so that I can transition!

NO. The 3 CAS Handbooks do not use the term "split" but they clearly define a "shooting sting" as shots from one type of firearm prior to the use of the next type of firearm engaged. They also give examples of activities that do not use a different type of firearm but still require some activity between the first portion of the shooting string and the last. So by the rulebook 2 positions do not constitute a split sequence since no other type of firearm was used.

Do I think it is a good idea?? NO I think it is a penalty trap.

JEDI Jester Spades,

here are my discussion points based on your discussion points.

If movement is short or far, even the traditional style shooter has to maneuver the stage and watch out for a SAFETY, particularly when they turn and holster on the move AND draw their 2nd pistol on the move.

Moving with 2 loaded revolvers (hopefully with hammers down) is always a safety concern for all of us. But the shooter has the option of doing it or not, based on their comfort level to do so.

And remember, even without movement, there can be some stages where a GF chooses to shoot DD, even if both pistols are fired back to back from the same position. Its odd, but it can happen. And the GF makes that choice based on their comfort level of the particular stage.

Anyhow, thats just my thoughts.

Besides, I almost feel like I've got an advantage over most Trad style shooters when pistol are back to back AND split.

..........Widder

Simple question and am looking for a simple yes or no. Do you consider pistols that are shot back to back but from 2 different positions split pistols?

No, same as rifle(not used very often or ever) or shotgun safe to move conditions.

Fordyce

JEDI Jester Spades,

here are my discussion points based on your discussion points.

If movement is short or far, even the traditional style shooter has to maneuver the stage and watch out for a SAFETY, particularly when they turn and holster on the move AND draw their 2nd pistol on the move.

Moving with 2 loaded revolvers (hopefully with hammers down) is always a safety concern for all of us. But the shooter has the option of doing it or not, based on their comfort level to do so.

And remember, even without movement, there can be some stages where a GF chooses to shoot DD, even if both pistols are fired back to back from the same position. Its odd, but it can happen. And the GF makes that choice based on their comfort level of the particular stage.

Anyhow, thats just my thoughts.

Besides, I almost feel like I've got an advantage over most Trad style shooters when pistol are back to back AND split.

..........Widder

I agree for the most part with you.

Strict answer to Deuces question is without a doubt ( NO ) !!!

Spades H. i shoot em the way they write em, always have, always will with a smile too.. :D

No.

I don't care for split pistols I.e. Some manipulation or another gun between my pistols. But shoot 5 and move to shoot 5 more, I very much enjoy and often write that into my matches. The upcoming Nevada state championship has such a stage.

Nope

Archived