SASS Wire Forum

In your opinion "What is a GAMER?"

Korupt Karl

I'm a Gamer ,,,,,,,,, I Stuff cases like .44 Spl. and .45 Colt full of 3F black and touch them off ....

I also shoot a Hammered Double with Loads of 3F that Make a long Flame and Mega Smoke ...

I is a Gamer cuss I is playing Da Game MY WAY .....

Have Fun Yer Way ,,,,,, With-in the rules there is plenty of room to invent Yer Own way ta play da Game ....

Jabez Cowboy

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you know me and if you look at my scores.... I'm not a top shooter nor will I ever be....but I do like to buy good equipment and I do use everything allowed by the rules to help control some of the variables.

<SNIP>

What are your thoughts?

KK

In many ways this discussion reminds me of the debate over use of the N word.

While initially used as a denigrating term, it has been taken over by the minority

group it was used against and soon became a common term of reference to each

other, in an attempt to negate the impact of the term.

Gamer started out as a pejorative about how someone competes, and has morphed

by other folks usurping the word and neutralizing the stigma associated with it.

In other venues that would still be fighting words, but at least here it has been defanged.

SC

Gamer like so many words can mean different things. Based on who is saying it, how its being used, and who they are talking about. When I first heard the word I thought it was a negative to be called a Gamer. But after you apply what I said above you can see in most cases its used as a positive. The few times I was told to stop gaming the stage. I took it as the person having fun with me and my improving skills. I hope to be as good a Gamer as you guys.

On the same but different note. We want to be taken as a serious sport but some of us want to tear down the gamers that will make it taken that way. You can't be taken seriously if nobody wants to be the best they can be.

I for one love this sport. Love the people, so many have helped me locally and many more I have not met. People have sent me there telephone numbers, pm me, emailed me. Just to help me.

Thank you to all the gamers I hope to be the best Gamer I can be.

El Muerto Negro

I'd say the definition depends on who's using the term; the context of the use, if you will. I haven't been shooting long, and lately not at all, but when I heard the term "gamer" used the first time, I knew what it meant without asking the fella who used the term. He was describing shooters who, as Shadow Catcher has already described, use every legal advantage possible to give him or herself an edge and loads their ammunition as light as possible again to give him or herself a little extra edge so the end result will be a faster time.

I've competed in High Power off and on for 20 or so years and most of that crowd are "gamers" by this definition. They use small caliber, low recoiling rifles that have been redesigned and reconfigured until they've morphed into implements whose use is pretty much limited to said competition.

All that said, I competed in High Power for two reasons: because accurate rifles are interesting to me and because I wanted to further my skills as a rifleman in the hunting field. As such, I competed with rifles that were similar to those with which I'd be hunting rather than rifles that would provide an advantage in competition. I compete (and I use that term loosely) in CAS because I love old west firearms and I enjoy the light-hearted, fun atmosphere at our local shoot. My CAS firearms are modified only to the extent that the modifications would not be a detriment in normal field use such as hunting. In my CAS shooting, I feel as though the only person I'm competing against is myself; i.e.- I want my times to improve over time.

Based on what I've seen and heard, I think maybe when "gamer" is used in a negative sense, it is done so by folks who feel the original conception of the game as well as it's realism has been somewhat compromised by the use of heavily modified firearms and the use of ultra-light loads.

All that said, I in no way begrudge those who are sometimes referred to as gamers. To each, his or her own.

Cholla

Hey Buck,

How can a gamer like myself get one of those beautiful cards?

At our club; calling someone a gamer seems to be a WOWS way of saying: "Good shootin'" :P

YMMV

It's like the offers on T.V. when we were kids; send a self addressed stamped envelope to:

Buck D. Law

Arrow Graphics

101 Rainbow Industrial Blvd

Rainbow City, AL 35906-8901

GAMER---------I BELIEVE IT IS ONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO CHEAT WITHOUT GETTING CAUGHT. DID I SAY THAT?

Fargo....I do hope you don't believe that! That was a "lol" type of comment. RIGHT?

A "gamer" is one who competes, knowing they are never going to be victorious; but does it anyway for the love of the game.

It's done for the zen of the game.....

A "gamer" is one who competes, knowing they are never going to be victorious; but does it anyway for the love of the game.

It's done for the zen of the game.....

I love it when, after shooting a stage, you achieve an endorphin charged high that borders on attaining a zen-like oneness of being.

That and a 'clean' yell from the TO.

Hoo-yah!

Hi Folks,

Gamer was initially a derogatory term and I'm glad to see it has become a joke among friends for the majority (of posters here).

If an action is within the rules, it's good. It someone does something that is not okay by the rules, penalize them according to the rule they broke.

Insinuating that being a gamer (practice and doing one's best) is a negative creates factions that do no good for our sport. Besides it reeks of sour grapes.

Regards,

Allie "as just another shooter" Mo :ph34r:

PS Allie the Moderator doesn't like name calling. If you want to discuss what particular acts should not be allowed by the rules, use a specific example. Put away the "broad brush" and, if you can't back up your statement with an example, stop with the name calling. :angry:

I have always thought a gamer was anyone that shot faster than me, just kidding. I also figured I was a gamer doing everything to shoot my absolute best. I have the best equipment, pay attention to all the recommendations on transitions, use proper loads for shooting faster, have taken a couple of shooting classes from the sports best shooters, etc., but I am still certainly not a good shooter;, and getting worse every day as I get older. Maybe next year when I can shoot Elder Statesman I can better compete. I did manage to win my category in a state championship a few years ago. I always figured a gamer or calling someone a gamer was a very positive comment.

Now with that said there are shooters out there that think just the opposite. They are generally not in the sport to shoot fast. Are actually upset that shooters do everything within the rules to shoot as fast as they can and criticize those that compete at the highest levels of the sport. They consider them gamers in the worst possible sense of the word, and look for ways to criticize whatever they do to compete better. They look down on these fast folks believing that somehow their excellence in the sport is bad for the sport. They believe doing things well within the rules to shoot faster is bad for the sport and even in their mind not legal or somehow cheating. They use the term gamer with the worst connotation of the word. It is not hard to find these folks, just look at some of the posts on the SASS Wire. Many of these folks would be happy if the timer aspect of our sport were just eliminated. Some of these folks are in the sport to play dress up cowboy and believe everyone should be dressed to the hilt like they are. They call others that do not gamers. Others look down their noses at folks shooting under 45 caliber and believe they are gamers in the worst sense of the word. Others believe everyone should be shooting the heaviest loads the caliber and rules allow or they are casting the sport in a bad light and use the term gamer to those that do not shoot. Even others have their own views of what the sport power factor should be and cast anyone that shoots below their view a gamer in the worst way. Some believe those wearing gear to shoot faster well within the rules are gamers in the worst possible sense (cross draws, small holsters covering less of the guns than others, etc). Others look down on folks that have found ways to shoot their guns faster than they do and consider them gamers in the worst way (i.e. pulling 4 or more shotguns shells at a time, slip hammering their pistols, etc.). Some of these negative gamer folks are really upset that the rules allow many modifications of our guns to shoot faster and consider anyone using anything other than a box stock gun a gamer in the worst sense. Others have actually made their way to be in charge of matches and are out to some how penalize what they consider to be gamers by having things in stages to somehow slow down fast shooters (and they never work as they penalize slower shooters even more), including tiny targets, distant targets, difficult sequences, hard knockdown targets requiring almost magnum hits to take them down, etc.

Well just my opinion and everyone knows what that is worth.

To me, a gamer is a shooter who runs a stage looking for a competitive advantage with the mindset, "It doesn't say I CAN'T do that".

I think it's pretty cool when someone thinks of a different way to shoot a scenario besides the way the other shooters on posse shot stage within the parameters of stage instructions. If it doesn't say you can't do something why do you assume you can't, as someone who writes matches and is a posse marshal on a regular basis I always say assume you can unless it says differently.

AO

GAMER---------I BELIEVE IT IS ONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO CHEAT WITHOUT GETTING CAUGHT. DID I SAY THAT?

Really!!!! Are you saying that the folks that are in the top tier of our sport are cheaters? I hope that this was a feeble attempt at humor, that I do not find very amusing.

Bill Bonney

Heeee Haaaa KK.. I'm not quite there yet..I'm close.. :unsure: But until I have that Purdy Boy,Sparkling shirt wearing,Prairie fairy..looking over his sholder and seeing me comeing for the IBPG overall.. :P Then I can be called a GAMER.. :ph34r: Right now I'm just Gamey.. :D

Heee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

So, if it says two sweeps and you go 1-5 and 1-5 and another shooter goes 1-5 double taps 5 and goes back then he's a gamer?? If someone shooting duelist keeps the shotgun in hand as they move...he's a gamer? When someone figures out a better transition than yours....he's a gamer?? I guess it sounds more like sour grapes....

If someone can give an example of ("Cheating" that people are doing "Without being caught" )

....please enlighten us....I suppose when Duece shoots ten pistol traditional in a little over 2 seconds or Widder a bit under 2 shootin GF....that they must be cheatin? Is that what some of you are saying?

I understand that these shooters are in the elite, but they've worked to get there. I can't imagine shooting 5000 rounds a month to shoot like Lassiter does, or case after case of shotgun shells to shoot speed shotgun like Widder or Duece. Do you think that Two Sons is a cheater because she has won major shoots again and again.....I don't think so. So, unless the nay sayers can come up with some examples....then you need to back it down a bit.

Just my too scents

KK

KK

Fer cryin' Pete's sake, KK, you're a freakin' GAMER...get over it. :o

I just vacummed & mopped floors wearin' a gun belt & timer. If I'm not a gamer then you can kiss my FAT, HAIRY ARSE! :D

So, if it says two sweeps and you go 1-5 and 1-5 and another shooter goes 1-5 double taps 5 and goes back then he's a gamer?? ...

Sheesh, I hope not. I do it whenever I'm alert enough to think it.

Unless the scenario says both sweeps must be from the same end, this is okay. I hear it's called a "Dirty Sweep." Must stand for "dirty (gamer) sweep." :rolleyes:;)

I just vacummed & mopped floors wearin' a gun belt & timer. If I'm not a gamer then you can kiss my FAT, HAIRY ARSE! :D

Yea, but were you wearing your Cowboy hat?

:D:D:D

..........Widder

It's like the offers on T.V. when we were kids; send a self addressed stamped envelope to:

Buck D. Law

Arrow Graphics

101 Rainbow Industrial Blvd

Rainbow City, AL 35906-8901

You can tell Buck is a gamer.....he even has an inside track on printing "Gamer" cards :lol:

Well gamer....it sounds like you are a "Clean" shooter.....from one gamer to another.....KK

A gamer is someone who tells me and another guy that we can't see all the edge hits she is getting and from now on only the people who came with her are allowed to score for her. Believe me, I was glad to NOT score for her.

A gamer is someone who tells me and another guy that we can't see all the edge hits she is getting and from now on only the people who came with her are allowed to score for her. Believe me, I was glad to NOT score for her.

Well...perhaps you were not being the best spotter. Spotters can miss edgers...and some spotters just stink at catching them. We all miss calling edgers every now and then.

So a person is a "Bad Gamer" if they feel that your spotting is...spotty?

Phantom

Fargo....I do hope you don't believe that! That was a "lol" type of comment. RIGHT?

Yes sir. I always enjoy teasing those who are faster and better than me. I fun with all in my posse if they seem to be civil with me.

What a novel concept, pick your own spotters. That’s a gamer to the max and rude as hell

A gamer is someone who stays legal, but just barely.

Or, anyone who doesn't think this is a real gunfight.

What a novel concept, pick your own spotters. That’s a gamer to the max and rude as hell

not max!!

choosing your TO and spotters and possible gun expiditor.,,,, may be.

All legal,,,, of course.,,, which most of the time it is.... there is always BOD for the gray areas.

As a GF, I prefer to have either GFer's or good fast shooters to spot for me.

Yes, even those GFer's whom I'm competing with.

And when a couple of my other GF pards are shooting, they also prefer me to help spot for them.

Having a preference for particular spotters is not necessarily any indication of any wrong doing.....in MY opinion.

..........Widder

Wellll! I have witnessed more slacker spotting problems, especially when its a faster shooter, than I have witnessed what I would call rule skirting!!

Matter of fact, I do belive there have been some threads about that very issue (correct spotting) on this wire..

However, family members only, and such, might be pushing the envelope a bit ( missing all of the edgers) my gosh how many did the shooter edge in the match!!!!

Spades H.

Widder, I agree.

Yes I like spotters that have an idea of the way a GF will engage the targets. The more lax spotters many times listen to the sound and cadence of shots instead of focusing on the steel. Which can mess them up alot!

Just my haypenny !! LOLOL

So if you are getting bad calls on your posse...from a particular spotter or two...or three...what are ya supposed to do?

I don't see this particular issue as having anything to do with "Gamer".

Phantom

Archived