SASS Wire Forum

In your opinion "What is a GAMER?"

Korupt Karl

What a novel concept, pick your own spotters. That’s a gamer to the max and rude as hell

I have seen it happen

while back we had interesting character, picked his posse, then picked his timer operator

and even if you were picked to fill his posse, you could not be his counter or TO

feller did it for a couple of years or more

yep, rude as heLL

..........................................and not within spirit of the game

he wont shoot with us any more

true story

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have seen it happen

while back we had interesting character, picked his posse, then picked his timer operator

and even if you were picked to fill his posse, you could not be his counter or TO

feller did it for a couple of years or more

yep, rude as heLL

..........................................and not within spirit of the game

he wont shoot with us any more

true story

Heyya MM!

So, the club allowed this???

Folks at the club put up with this???

This person isn't a "Gamer"...this person is a jerk!

Big difference.

Phantom

Heyya MM!

So, the club allowed this???

Folks at the club put up with this???

This person isn't a "Gamer"...this person is a jerk!

Big difference.

Phantom

yes the folks allowed it at two different local clubs

.....because it started out slowly, no one said much at first.....

so it morphed into and ugly deal, that grew out of control

after a while club leadership would just say "ignore him"

he finaly got the idea, and does not shoot local clubs any more

but it went on for to long, affecting local CAS adversly

I did not allow it at bar d hombres, so he quit my club pronto like

yep, he was a jerk not a gamer

back then gamer had more of that type of connotation than it does these days

MM,

Is that the feller someone raises the "no his name zone" flag for when he is not at a match?

If so, at the CVR match in 2012, we were warned to not pull a his name on a stage. That was not to shoot between the cowboy KD's legs to break the clay flier. Some may ask how they knew he did it on purpose. They said he crouched down to shoot it. I shot with some So. NV pards at that match and heard about the flag from them.

Is that being a gamer? IMO, it is definitely penalty worthy. I don't know if he got one.

BTW I first heard his name when I went to El Dorado in 2007.

Regards,

AM

You can tell Buck is a gamer.....he even has an inside track on printing "Gamer" cards :lol:

Yep, somehow I've managed to take what I do for a living (printing)...and do it for free. :)

A little back story on the card: When I was in my first year of shooting, with everything being relative to the time, I was having a great day with my scores approaching 30 seconds on stages the best shooters were shooting in the high teens and 20's. While at the loading table, a shooter by the name of Rusty O'Toole commented, "Shooting 38's. A gamer I see." Being in a great mood (even better than normal because I was wearin' it out...almost down to 30 seconds!), I quickly responded, "Genuine, certified, card totin', see ya at the finish line!" and went on to "wear out" another stage.

After the match was over, I got to thinking about what I'd said, particularly the card totin' part, and decided since I was in the printing business, I could make it become true. This was in 2005 before I had ever laid eyes on a Ruger New Vaquero, but there were pictures of them and I used one to create the card. The rifle is a Marlin because that is what I was shooting at the time. After a bit of thought, I was able to add to my original comment and added bon-a-fide.

At that time I made them available to anyone in the country and in some cases actually sent the file to folks who had them printed. As a result, I've had some folks swear that so-and-so created the card and that I copied them. The Gamer Card has made multiple appearances in the hatbands of shooters in photos in The Chronicle and various T.V. shooting shows. I've got to admit, it brings a smile to my face.

I personally have handed them out extensively at matches I have attended, many times wandering the banquets and asking a table of folks, "Who at this table is a gamer?" Fingers point in all directions and ultimately everyone ends up being a card totin' gamer. Sometimes though folks will well up like toads, cross their arms, and swear there are no gamers present. On that queue, the question is asked, "So everybody here has shot every match clean?" With targets at the distances we shoot, what excuse for missing is there other than trying to go too fast? Gamer!

Oh yeah, Rusty O'Toole is now a card totin' gamer. :)

So if you are getting bad calls on your posse...from a particular spotter or two...or three...what are ya supposed to do?

I don't see this particular issue as having anything to do with "Gamer".

Phantom

Phantom

You and I play two different games, your idea of fun is to compete at a high level and

every hit or miss is important to you. I shoot just for the joy of shooting old

guns with great people, I couldn’t care less about a few misses, in fact I don’t

care if the timer even runs. I retired from competition years ago and don’t

miss that part at all.

Have fun,

shoot straight and be safe

Wowzer!

Even I care about my times. I do the "happy dance" whenever I hit the 30s or get a clean match. With WBAS, it's a clean stage that makes me happy or cleaning the pistol. You see, it's always a competition with myself to improve (without practice).

I've had times I wanted to change counters. On one occasion, two of the people I camp with both gave me a miss on a stage; the third counter said I had an edger. They wouldn't change. Another time that stands out was when two of my counters were a new couple. Both gave me seven misses. The targets were big and close. The third counter had two misses. I thought I only missed one. The last time I remember was when two new shooters wanted to give me misses for the KDs I reengaged. The last one didn't stand as the TO quizzed them.

So, I can see wanting to change counters, I've just never asked to have it done for me.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Phantom

You and I play two different games, your idea of fun is to compete at a high level and

guns with great people, I couldn’t care less about a few misses, in fact I don’t

miss that part at all.

Have fun,

HTH

It's the same game you just have different feelings on the overall outcome.

Phantom is a fast shooter (and fun guy to shoot with) who wants all of his hits to count. yes HITS. Some of our shooters insist on spotting even when they couldn't hope to keep up visually or audibly with the faster shooter's speeds. (We see it all the time, the ones who look at each other then hold up whatever the others are.) So, I also see nothing "gamer", let alone rude, in asking for a different spotter(s), especially when it's a larger state and above size match. I'm not saying a shooter getting to specifically pick each and every spotter they want but asking for some of them to be switched in order to allow the shooter the fairest assessment of their stage, then by all means yes. And remember, It could also mean they could get called for actual misses the other spotter(s) could have also missed. Like I said, the fairest assessment (for every shooter)

JEL

anyone who- shoot better than me

Shoot faster than me

has better guns than me

has better leather than me

better truck than me

faster horse

makes more money

Rafe :D:P

I do believe he just summed it all up.

I'm still laughing..

Not all counters are equal

I usually go with the flow

however with that being said

and it happens

making sure that x y z are on your posse

demanding that only x y z can count for you, is open to question

and perhaps, not realy in the John Wayne,,,,, way of thangs

mileage always varys

AM, -- x free zone -- was the truth of the matter

I feel that the timer operator should and could ask for a change in counters

NOT the shooter

unless the shooter only allows x as their timer

this stuff happens

nipp it in the budd, if you see it

thats all I am sayin

I think all of us can agree that spotting is the most inconsistent part of our sport. Sometimes reminds me of Olympic Ice Skating judging. A good RO will see poor spotting quickly and in a friendly manner will suggest one or more spotters take a break, maybe a long break. Even good spotters can get tired and or lose attention and need to take a break. To a much lesser extent, scorekeeping can be an inexact science. I have seen folks volunteer to keep score at matches they can no longer shoot in due to age or illness and because of scorekeeping issues demonstarted, they had to be asked very politely to stand down. I have also seen shooters ask for a new RO and have done it myself. All of these RO change requests have been appropriate IMHO, due to long ago personal issues between the parties or demonstrated lack of understanding of the way to do the RO job or SASS rules. One lady shooter asked for a new RO because in the distant past she felt that the RO had inappropriately touched her when he ran the timer. The replacement ROs did a fine job. These examples had nothing to do with having friends or relatives doing the RO replacement duties, as the new ROs were unknown to the shooters before the match started, from the examples I have witnessed.

Oooh, inappropriate TOs!

Have I got stories. I've had to ask, while shooting, several TOs to not stand so close. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE OR FEEL :o YOU WHILE I'M SHOOTING!!! I wouldn't yell if this were not a pet peeve.

One time long ago, I saw how close one stood to shooters and asked him to stay back before I started the stage. Another time, after being hit on the elbow three times during a stage, I asked, while shooting, the TO to stop playing with my elbow. Then there is the smarmy individual I hate to have time for me because I think/imagine :unsure: I feel him breathing on me while I shoot.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Well, I finally found a picture that the Korrupt One sent that I could put in my avatar. Shows off my "Gamer" loads at IBPG.

CR

Phantom

miss that part at all.

Have fun,

I actually don't see it this way.

I see us playing the same game.

Take monthly matches for example. I actually couldn't care less about how I finish 'cuz I'm usually working on something...or just letting off steam...no stress, no pressure. BUT...there are others that only shoot monthlies and it's important to them. So a bad call for me...say the spotters don't call a miss when I should have gotten one, that affects the OTHER shooters. Correct scoring has more to do with the OTHER shooters then it does about me.

Then there's the personal challenge. You know, the one where you measure yourself? You can be a last place shooter and still, you deserve to know how you did...other that might be measuring their own personal performance by how well they shot compared to you...they deserve the best effort by spotters.

So how either of us internalize the score...it does matter.

And yes, I respect those that step up to the plate and help on a posse. We ALL know folks that basically do NOTHING on a posse...and that is selfish and Un-Cowboy! But, if someone can't quite do the job well, then they should be willing to accept that and hand over the counter's stick to someone else.

Cheers...and keep shooting Cowboy and enjoying it the way YOU want to ;)

Phantom

HTH

It's the same game you just have different feelings on the overall outcome.

Phantom is a fast shooter (and fun guy to shoot with) who wants all of his hits to count. yes HITS. Some of our shooters insist on spotting even when they couldn't hope to keep up visually or audibly with the faster shooter's speeds. (We see it all the time, the ones who look at each other then hold up whatever the others are.) So, I also see nothing "gamer", let alone rude, in asking for a different spotter(s), especially when it's a larger state and above size match. I'm not saying a shooter getting to specifically pick each and every spotter they want but asking for some of them to be switched in order to allow the shooter the fairest assessment of their stage, then by all means yes. And remember, It could also mean they could get called for actual misses the other spotter(s) could have also missed. Like I said, the fairest assessment (for every shooter)

JEL

+1 I agree you should not be able to handpick your spotters but there also some folks who should not be spotting, my first big match I had terrible spotters that posse marshal had to change out because they were calling misses on me I did not have

Before a major shoot in the Midwest....the Match Director states to all the shooters...."If you have trouble seeing or hearing...DON'T SPOT" Find something else to do on the posse. Oh, that would be Lassiter at Guns of August. ...and I hear that echoed at Ohio, Indiana and Michigan as well.

My pal Widder admits he is hard of hearing and will not spot....but he works the unloading table when he's not loading or shooting.

There are plenty of things to do on a posse besides spotting. Some spot so they won't have to pick brass or something else.

KK

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

My pal Widder admits he is hard of hearing and will not spot....

I would advise him to pull those ear plugs!!!! :lol:

I much prefer spotters who can see!! :D

Anyway as to the OP, I have always thought of Gamer as an endearing term that I say to Claimjumper after he shoots a clean stage. Never really understood the way folks get all fired up about it. There are those that wanna go on the PM walk thru and try to determine how far behind the table is behind the table or maybe change the way the stages are written and I have another endearing term for them… Pain in the @ss

A gamer is someone who reads the scenarios ahead of time...

:);)

I know that some share your view, but for some it equally hurts them. I've heard a lot of shooters say that they don't want to think about a stage until the scenarios is read. Personally, it's fun to have a little extra time to think about a stage and do some planning...during the match I'm running, the timer, spotting and generally busy so it helps. I guess I could wait til later in the stage to shoot and watch how everyone else does it and give myself some time to figure out how I'm going to do....not much difference I'd say.

The only advantage I can see for someone reading the scenario early is it allows an experienced shooter to help a newer shooter by explaining the stage in more detail or explaining a sweep that the shooter hasn't used before. It's all good whether you read it early or not. At big shoots I see some of the top shooters reviewing the stages and I see others who wait until they get to the stage.

Carl,

Just for full disclosure, I really don't believe that a person who reads the scenarios ahead of time is doing anything wrong in the least. Nor do I really think that it makes them any more or less gamey.

After shooting together in Ohio, I though that you would realize that I am a Genuine, certified, card totin', see ya at the finish line gamer (and proud of it) who thoroughly enjoys reading all the scenarios ahead of time, and even walking through (and possibly shadow shooting) the stages the day before I shoot 'em at a big match.

I mean, aren't I the one who pointed out that the rules do not require me to wear pants? Just think of the advantages I get by not wearing pants!

More than anything, I was rolling my eyes at comments on another thread...

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214907&p=2763505

alien.pngalien.pngalien.pngalien.pngalien.png

Apologies for not putting a face and an alias together....you are truly certifiable.

KK

Apologies for not putting a face and an alias together....you are truly certifiable.

KK

Being called a gamer does not bother me. Just don't know if I should be offended for being called certifiable or not :);):)

You keep 'em straight Karl!

For myself I call myself 'a Gamer in training'..constantly looking for a better way..Observe -Listen - learn...suppose that also relates to everyday life!!!!

Archived