SASS Wire Forum

In your opinion "What is a GAMER?"

Korupt Karl

I use the term lots, always in fun, and so far it has always been taken that way, one evening around the camp fire I looked over at a compadre with one leg, there he was with it in his lap, fiddling with Allen wrenches and other tools adjusting his leg. I said "trying to get a leg up on everybody else? what a gamer" Everyone got quite a chuckle including him.

As far as I know the word has always been used in fun at our club.

Doc

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I LOVE being called a gamer.

It usually means I beat somebody!

Which is why I will never be called that. How you doin J-Bar?

It's time to come out of the closet.

My name is B.S. Walker and yes, I am a Gamer.

"Boy" I feel better now.

Which is why I will never be called that. How you doin J-Bar?

I be fine, and your own self?

I missed the Old Coot's Shoot yesterday out of sheer stupidity and not looking at the calendar. If you went I hope you had fun.

Getting into a deer hunting frame of mind at the moment. Since I am now retired, it will be the first time I have not had to go back to work on Monday. Looking forward to hunting during the middle of the week!

...and I think you have all the makings of a gamer; more power to you!!

Its not the will to win that matters everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters.

What are each of us doing to prepare ourselves, physically and mentally, to win?

Champins, whether in SASS, football, or life, never quit. It is the easiest cop-out in the world. Winners set a goal and dont quit until they attain it. When they do attain it, they set another goal, and dont quit until they reach it.

Always improving. Never settling.

And remember, winning may not be as simple as coming in first place. Everyone should be setting a goal for themself. Whenever I prepare for a shoot, I set lofty goals and work leading up to the match. I set myself in the best position to meet those goals. Sometimes I succeed. Lately, I have fallen short. But I look back at my performance, regroup, and modify m preparations in order to have a chance at being successful next time out.

We are all playing the game. It is just a question of how much we are preparing ourselves to succeed that set some apart from others.

How well do you know your equipment? How much time do you spend looking over your main match ammo? How well do you know the rules?

I am always amazed at how many people who have plaid the game for so long really do not know he rules. Some may complain that others look through the rules looking at what they are allowed to do as if it is a bad thing.

In reality, they are just preparing themselves to win. Focused on the small things.

Hello, my name is Buffalo Dick and I am a gamer.

We said "Gamey" not gamer.

I've known a few "gamers". Even heard some of them praised by others. I'm hopeful that they changed their spots from when I shot with them, to the time that these others did.

But, in truth, a true "gamer" is one who will willfully ignore the standards of good sportsmanship and gleefully break with convention and rules. One who will whine and wheedle their way into avoidance of a penalty or the opportunity for a reshoot when none was warranted.

Thankfully, there have been VERY few gamers that have participated in this "game". I seriously doubt that anyone responding to this question in the affirmative is actually a gamer... and of the few names mentioned that I know... there ain't a gamer amongst them.

BTW, I have one of those cards also! Lots of laughs!

G-Gets in other shooter's head during stage instructions.

A-Always shadow shoots on the firing line.

M-Modifies firearms with straight triggers and other performance enhancing tricks of the trade.

E-Examines the best way to shoot a stage in their Levi's

R-Really good shooter

Top Gun Gamer- 5 out of 5 above

Most Improved Gamer-4 out of 5

Possible Gamer-3 out of 5 (needs work)

Want to be Gamer-2 out of 5

Not a Gamer-1 out of 5

Did I miss any threads. Have fun. We are all gamers and proud of it.

A gamer is anyone who puts their score or match standing ahead of the spirit of the game and good sportsmanship in general.

I completely disagree with this statement. You describe someone who IMO nobody would like to shoot with and label them a "Gamer"?? That definately IS NOT what a Gamer is. Buck D. Law is a 100% admitted "gamer" (so am I for that matter), he's a very good shooter, someone everyone enjoys to shoot with, and one of the best cowboys to play, volunteer, and participate in this game, so with a statement like yours you wrongly stereotype by definition that he has no SOG or sportsmanship?? Totally Wrong!!

To me, a gamer is someone, usually an extremely hard worker in both practice and volunteering, that stives to be the best shooter, helper, teacher, worker, and the best overall cowboy that they can be.

JEL

I’m tired of hearing all this talk from people who don’t understand the process of hard work. They act just like little kids in the back seat asking ‘Are we there yet?’ People need to understand that you get to where you’re going 1 mile-marker at a time. But if you are not willing to put in the effort and point your car in the right direction, you never will get anywhere.

Furthermore, the scoresheet has nothing to do with the being a gamer. Being a gamer is all about the process. Each time you walk up to the stage, you look at the instructions, the targets, the sequence, the physical stage, your costuming, and everything else that comes into play on the firing line. You look at all that stuff and commit yourself to dominate it all. It is not focused on beating other individuals. It’s about individuals dominating the stage they’re shooting. You dominate it better than the next guy, things happen. But, if you can do this…if you can focus on the one stage and wipe out the distractions…then you will be satisfied with the result.

A gamer is anyone who puts their score or match standing ahead of the spirit of the game and good sportsmanship in general.

That would be pejorative use of the word, which would preclude its use in civil conversation.

CR

Everybody is a gamer.

Weather you are competing for Top Gun, category win, clean shooter, most entertaining, most helpful, Wart Hog, best dressed, most smoke, ,or in my case most questions asked on how to shoot a stage.

Tell me who is not a gamer

Webster's New World Dictionary

( Game ) (1) Any form of play or way of playing; amusement, recreation; sport; frolick; play.

(2a) Any specific contest, engagment, amusement, computer stimulation, or sport involving physical or mental competition under specific rules as football, chess, or war games.

( Gamer ) (1a) plucky; courageous (B) having enough spirt or enthusiasum; ready ( for something ) ^_^

( What You Seem To Imply )

( Cheat ) (1) The act of deceiving or swindling; deception;fraud.

(2) To behave dishonestly, as at games or an examination...

I think by the looks of things, the word your searching for is ( Cheat/Cheater).. :o

I have not seen, or witnessed, any of this in the game where I play/shoot?

Not going to say it has never happened/won't happen, but the field study as of yet, seems in my mind to prove cheaters/cheating to be very, very, very, rare in this game! :ph34r:

Spades H... What Shoots, and see's with both eye's open. Except when I'm sleeping LOLOLOL!!!

PS: GAMER = Good guy.. ;)

New to SASS/CAS will be starting this coming spring.

From my experience in other areas a Gamer is some one who "Games" the system utilizing flaws/defects and oversights in rules to out perform others,, Usually simply because winning is more important than integrity They tend to walk so close to the edge of the rules that if they broke wind they would be over the line. They also tend to cross that line as often as they can without getting caught. They have little to no regard for what they are competing in or their fellow competitors.

What I'm reading here in this thread those who might be described as Gamers in CAS would simply be called "Sufficiently Motivated to Succeed" in the words of my old football coach.

Preparation and Practice aren't "gaming the system" they are just one way some people have fun.

My 2 bits worth

I'm glad I read this thread however,, better to know how a term is being used then to misunderstand .

Here is MY definition of a Gamer.

Stage calls for 'Firearms choice in any order'.

EACH of us has a particular 'feeling' as to stage description which firearms would be the best 1st choice because of particular INDIVIDUAL techniques and/or stage scenerio, starting position and shooting positions.

The mere essence of determining which way to run YOUR stage makes you a gamer.....period!

There is no cheating involved, no circumventing a rule nor playing ourside the boundaries of good sportsmanship.

And actually, if you think about it, the better you are at being a 'Gamer', the more fun you and your pards are going to have playing this wonderful game together. You all will learn from each others 'gaming techniques', etc...

Example: if I can start a stage with hands on my pistols AND the weather is dry, I will probably go for my SG first because a bad start or fumbled first shell can allow me a restart. AND, I can shoot pistols LAST and reholster my pistols (GF)off the clock. BUT, given the same scenerio in WET weather with my hands already on the pistols, I will start with pistols.

YEP, that would make me a gamer because I'm trying to work the stage to my favor...all within the rules, guidelines, etc...

..........Widder

I've known a few "gamers". Even heard some of them praised by others. I'm hopeful that they changed their spots from when I shot with them, to the time that these others did.

But, in truth, a true "gamer" is one who will willfully ignore the standards of good sportsmanship and gleefully break with convention and rules. One who will whine and wheedle their way into avoidance of a penalty or the opportunity for a reshoot when none was warranted.

Thankfully, there have been VERY few gamers that have participated in this "game". I seriously doubt that anyone responding to this question in the affirmative is actually a gamer... and of the few names mentioned that I know... there ain't a gamer amongst them.

BTW, I have one of those cards also! Lots of laughs!

I'm with Griff, that's my definition of a gamer.

The top shooters in this sport DO NOT fit my definition of a gamer. GAMERS are the whiners and cheats that Griff mentions above. But, I guess the term has changed meanings since I started shooting this GAME back in 1998.

And I agree that the guys who posted ahead of me are not gamers by my old school definition.

Hmm, I like going fast and hitting all the targets. As a FCGF I check wind direction and plan out my shooting to be most advantageous to me. I very often "shadow shoot" at the loading table. As much as I pretend otherwise, I care about my times and where I place. I LOVE it when a stage goes really well and I get some whoopin' and hootin' from the posse. I also run the timer, pick brass, spot, reset targets and whatever else needs doing. Am I a Gamer? Heck yeah!

RR

(sometimes more gamey than gamer)

Dat's Red, fer sure :excl: One of my favorite gamers. Did I tell ya how much smoke dat boy can spew? Out his guns, too :ph34r::P:D

Hey Buck,

How can a gamer like myself get one of those beautiful cards?

At our club; calling someone a gamer seems to be a WOWS way of saying: "Good shootin'" :P

YMMV

To me, gamer is a person who plays computer games (usually shooting games). Also it is a corruption of the saying, "I'm game..." meaning that you would be ready to do whatever. Guess I am behind the times....

If this was true, in the context of SASS/CAS...which it is...then you're calling into question the integrity of a lot of GREAT people.

I would like to think you "Mis-spoke".

Phantom

YEP, that would make me a gamer because I'm trying to work the stage to my favor...all within the rules, guidelines, etc...

..........Widder

That's a good definition of a gamer, by one of the more esteemed members of our great "game." Flinging the term about in a derogatory term; now, that's unsportsmanlike.

Wearing shirts as loud as the original poster, so as to blind the opposition, the spotters, and even satellites orbiting in space, now that might be a mite gamey. ;-p :P

Cheers,

FJT

If this was true, in the context of SASS/CAS...which it is...then you're calling into question the integrity of a lot of GREAT people.

I would like to think you "Mis-spoke".

Phantom

I agree 100% But you got to remember I'm a card carrying member of the Bucks' Gammer card :)

I started this thread because the term is so often used in a negative context. I'm glad to see that the majority of you have a healthy attitude about this word. I personally don't know of any shooters that fit the "negative" connotation as we don't need them in our sport.

I strongly believe that a GAMER, by definition, is anyone who wants to do their best, anyone who wants to practice to get better, anyone who strives to have fun, shoot straight, and enjoy his fellow shooters.

Therefore....I AM A GAMER and I'm proud of it.

KK

Archived