SASS Wire Forum

Coffee grounds in eggs. etc.

Widder, SASS #59054

In my pup days, I faintly remember some folks putting their old coffee grounds in eggs when they fried/scrambled up in the morning.

WHY?

I put Flax seed in my eggs every morning (Heart healthy stuff) and it reminded me of days of yesteryear.

..........Widder

Dittoes on the egg shells in the COFFEE, my mom used to do that when we went on a picnic and brewed the coffee over a fire.

It works!

:) Rye

That's Norwegian coffee (although my mom and grandma were German and they made it):

EGG COFFEE

That's the way I make my camp cowboy coffee.

Guess until i was eleven or so I didn't know their was any other way to make coffee,my grandmother was Swedish. Adios Sgt. Jake

The way I remember it was to put egg shells in coffee when making Cowboy Coffee to settle the grounds.

Snakebite

THat's what I was always told. Helps settle the grounds.

RBK

I thought it was the other way around. Egg shells in coffee to mellow the favor.

Wyatt

In my younger days, that is the way we made coffee. Egg shells into the coffee grounds to cut the bitterness and yes I am of German decent.

Lone Rider

The way I remember it was to put egg shells in coffee when making Cowboy Coffee to settle the grounds.

Snakebite

+1

An old Maine Guide trick add an egg to the brew.

back in the 1970's & 80's, I fished the lakes in washington county maine.

Each trip I would go with a Maine guide in one of their homemade Grand Lake Canoe powered by a 10 hp outboard.

They would prepare a shorekine lunch over a big wood fire.

A long pole would serve to hang a coffee pot over the fire.

To keep coffee grounds from going into the mugs when poured, one or two eggs were added to the brew when ready to drink.

Eggs ont egg shells.

The cooked eggs would capture most of the grounds on the fall to the bottom.

Snakebite

+1

Never heard of anyone puttin' their coffee grounds into their eggs. I think that'd be just way too crunchy.

...but scramblin' the eggs with the last night's leftover spaghetti tastes great. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it! :D

On a trip to Germany in '69, we went to a restaurant that was American themed. One girl ordered what looked like a chocolate sundae with chocolate sprinkles on it. She took one bite and the "sprinkles" were coffee grounds!

On occasion when the turkey gravy is not dark enough I use a few coffee grounds or instant coffee to add color. I have used eggshell to settle grounds in Cowboy Coffee. Do agree settle is a relative term. Hence the need for a bushy mustache to strain our the remainder.

Heee Haaaa.. Well back in my day My Grandfather tought me to "Settle" the eggs.He would sprinkle a tee-spoon of Goex FFg on his eggs to mellow them out.. <_< Somebody probley seen me eating Eggs and Goex and just thought they were coffee grounds :blush:

Heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko: :wacko: :FlagAm:

On occasion when the turkey gravy is not dark enough I use a few coffee grounds or instant coffee to add color.

I use a "period correct" product my mom and grandma both used called Kitchen Bouquet. Wikipedia says it dates to 1879. And, it's excellent in gravy! :)/>

On a trip to Germany in '69, we went to a restaurant that was American themed. One girl ordered what looked like a chocolate sundae with chocolate sprinkles on it. She took one bite and the "sprinkles" were coffee grounds!

I've purchased chocolate covered roasted coffee beans at a local coffee shop before. They can zing you up pretty good if you munch too many of them. Not too bad of a taste but a little gritty.

Heee Haaaa.. Well,to continue on,My grandpappy use tell me.. When your out on the trail you don't want a "stiff egg"so sprinkle some Goex FFg on you egg. :blink: To soften it up..I believe it's the salt-peter in the the Goex FFg that keeps your egg soft. ;)

Now as far as the coffee grounds go.. :huh: My Grand-pappy always made my dad and me bring back the coffee grounds, when ,we were on round-up, to the earth-worm ranch. Thats what he would feed the earth-worms..it kept them fat and healthy -_- Every once and a while we round up a bucket or two of earth-worms take them to town to sell and buy ;coffee, eggs, and Goex FFg.. ;)

Heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :blink::wacko::FlagAm:

Heee Haaa .. well come to think of Back in the fiftys . I think it was mid fifty there was a big earth-worm stampede, and Grand-pappy sent us all out with a bucket of coffee grounds. ^_^/> ta try and herd them ta the ranch, we would just sprinkle the coffee grounds on the ground and they followed us just like chickens ta corn.. ;)/>

heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :blink:/> :wacko:/> :FlagAm:/>

Heeeee Haaaa Widder..Comes ta think of it I can recall old grand-pappy putin a tater in the large coffee pot when he was makein the coffee..and when the coffee was all drunked up,he'd take that tater and put it in the earth-worm round-up bucket.. :unsure: And once the bucket was full of coffee boiled taters. :huh: We'ed all go out to the south forty of the earth-worm ranch to the carp pond. ;) we'ed punch a hole through the ice and catch us a nice mess of carps useing them coffee boiled taters :o Oh ya them were the days <_<

Heeee Haaa Crazy Mingo :FlagAm::wacko: :wacko:

Coffee grounds added to:

In my younger years as a 2nd LT in the Artillery, we would go to Grafenwoehr, Germany for firing exercises.

When my butt had been chewed beyond the tolerance point I would go to the O Club and order "Nickoloshkas"(no clue as to the correct spelling)

2 ozs of Cognac, a slice of raw lemon laid on the top of the cognac glass, a tablespoon of uncooked coffee grounds on the lemon and a teaspoon of sugar on the coffee.

Put the lemon coffee sugar in your mouth and give it a couple of chews. It tasted so bad you would drink the glass of cognac to get it out of your mouth.

Repeat until someone helps you off to bed.

Widder, I've seen it done. Perhaps it's an effort to camouflage the remnants of whatever was cooked last in the iron skillet. Last night's scorched cornbread crumbs look like coffee grounds. Somehow whatever has been "added" is more palatable than what is left over.

"What are those black things in the eggs?"

"Oh, I add coffee grounds because it....uh, makes them better." :)

My grandpaw dumped his coffee grounds into his worm bed. Yep, he had a place where he fed his worms that would eventually end up on his fishing hook. His worm bed was near the well, so every morning after breakfast he'd head out with his coffee grounds and a water bucket, feed the worms and draw water. Here is a photo of a setup like he used for drawing water. It was fancy compared to my other grandpaw's well which was hand dug and simply had a bucket at the end of a rope.

Guest Chance Ramsay, SASS#18962

Hay Widder, as a youg'n I seen Grandma boil coffee and put egg shells or a dab of cool water to settle the grounds but the most inport'n part was the horse shoe in the bottom, so, when it floated we knew it was ready. lol :lol:

Chance

Well,

Tried the egg shells in the coffee. Ya know what, ya just can't get many egg shells in one of those little cups for the KEURIG. Not only that, but boy, do those egg shells disrupt the water flow thru the machine.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

On occasion when the turkey gravy is not dark enough I use a few coffee grounds or instant coffee to add color. I have used eggshell to settle grounds in Cowboy Coffee. Do agree settle is a relative term. Hence the need for a bushy mustache to strain our the remainder.

I always use coffe to make rdeye gravy. No grounds though.

Every morning I grind some coffee beans and put em in the French press with a crushed egg shell. It makes excellent brew.

Archived