SASS Wire Forum

Coffee grounds in eggs. etc.

Widder, SASS #59054

Widder, I've seen it done. Perhaps it's an effort to camouflage the remnants of whatever was cooked last in the iron skillet. Last night's scorched cornbread crumbs look like coffee grounds. Somehow whatever has been "added" is more palatable than what is left over.

"What are those black things in the eggs?"

"Oh, I add coffee grounds because it....uh, makes them better." :)/>

My grandpaw dumped his coffee grounds into his worm bed. Yep, he had a place where he fed his worms that would eventually end up on his fishing hook. His worm bed was near the well, so every morning after breakfast he'd head out with his coffee grounds and a water bucket, feed the worms and draw water. Here is a photo of a setup like he used for drawing water. It was fancy compared to my other grandpaw's well which was hand dug and simply had a bucket at the end of a rope.

Buck, I used a bucket like that to draw water from a 125' drilled well to water 60 head of dairy cows. I wasn't very big at the time but I had forearms like Popeye.

Heee Haaa Widder.. I can remember, I believe it was back in 48. :unsure: Old uncle Billy-Bob was staying with us at the earth-worm ranch..we were all out on a earth-worm drive becouse of the big drought of 48. :o We had to move the earth-worm herd from the north 80 to the south 40 near the Carp pond so they could drink. :mellow: old uncle Billy-Bob wasa complaining about Grand-Pappy's coffee becouse he kept getting coffee grounds stuck in his new store-bought teeth.. :o Needless ta say Grand-Pappy was not happy with Old uncle Billy-Bob..The next day there was narry a ground in the morning coffee, But it tasted like it was made inside an old boot and smelled about the same.. ;) Grand-Pappy used his only good sock for a coffee filter. Old Uncle Billy-Bob never complained again.. :huh:

Heeee Haaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko: :wacko: :FlagAm:

Heee Haaa Widder.. I can remember, I believe it was back in 48. :unsure: Old uncle Billy-Bob was staying with us at the earth-worm ranch..we were all out on a earth-worm drive becouse of the big drought of 48. :o We had to move the earth-worm herd from the north 80 to the south 40 near the Carp pond so they could drink. :mellow: old uncle Billy-Bob wasa complaining about Grand-Pappy's coffee becouse he kept getting coffee grounds stuck in his new store-bought teeth.. :o Needless ta say Grand-Pappy was not happy with Old uncle Billy-Bob..The next day there was narry a ground in the morning coffee, But it tasted like it was made inside an old boot and smelled about the same.. ;) Grand-Pappy used his only good sock for a coffee filter. Old Uncle Billy-Bob never complained again.. :huh:

Buck, I used a bucket like that to draw water from a 125' drilled well to water 60 head of dairy cows. I wasn't very big at the time but I had forearms like Popeye.

Holy smokes! Reminds me of my situation when I was a 5'1" 80 lb.14 year-old. After seven years of being a widow, my mother remarried and my step father thought I was a bit spoiled. Now mind you, I had always taken care of whatever my mother needed taken care of. The grass was mowed. The hogs (when we had them) were fed and any other chore that needed to be done. I did manage to find time to ride my horse at every opportunity.

My step father arrived and began cleaning up the place (40 acres) and cutting firewood for our use and to sell. It turned out that a lot of people wanted firewood, so there was much wood to be cut. In the beginning I was his brush stacker, wood splitter, loader and unloader. He had the "easy" job of running the chainsaw and somewhere along the line I might have implied such. Apparently that was all that was necessary to convince him that it was time for me to learn to run a chainsaw. It turns out it wasn't so "easy," but as Ray Stevens sang about Ethyl in The Streak, it was too late! He'd done decided I was good at it.

Sooooooo, after a while, I would arrive home from school each day to two oak trees on the ground. Although he wouldn't let me fall them, there in the yard was our farm truck, a '54 Ford F100, with the chainsaw, ax, wedges and post mall in the back waiting for me to head out to the trees. I remember begging to go horse riding and him telling me, "Cut up those two trees, stack the brush, split the big stuff, load it, bring it to the house and unload it. Then you can do whatever you want." On Saturday I returned to being his assistant, but he would only work me (well, I guess it worked him too, but it felt like just me) until noon and off I'd go on my horse, typically with my neighbor, David Priest, on another of my horses. David was a horse addict as well and would sometimes help me on school days so we actually would have some time to ride.

It's not exactly walking uphill both ways bare-footed in the snow in order to get to school, but it felt close. When I was sixteen, he thought I should get a job...which I did working for Ralston Purina in a turkey processing plant. I worked the summer driving his 65 Chevy truck to work and back many times working double shifts. At the end of the summer, he gave me my first car, a '63 Chevy, two door, hardtop. Apparently he thought I'd earned it.

Years later, the turkey plant job experience would pay off separately, but that's a whole nuther story.

Archived