SASS Wire Forum

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Dang It Dan 13202

Ok,

So you are running a stage. The timer has sounded and everything seems to be going just fine but then something happens. Maybe something small but it gets you out of your "zone" and now you are faced with having to do something unintended, or creative to get you out of this spot. Something you really don't have time to think about, but it seems like a good idea at the time.

Well, here's mine:

Last Sunday I traveled down to Ruskin to shoot the opening match of the new season with the Doodle Hill Regulators. It was hot, mind you, so maybe I wasn't really thinking clearly. Somewhere about the fourth stage, we had to start by shooting two shotgun targets, moving to our left and shooting two more. Then pick up the rifle and continue the stage. All I was really thinking was to hit the first two hard, and then watch the muzzle of the shotgun while I moved (moving left for a right handed shooter is challenging if you are trying to really run).

I hit the first two with no problems, leaned left, loaded the next round into the chamber, six steps later I was in position so I closed the action and fired One, Two. That's when it happened. I did not quite ejected the spent round from the 97' on the last shot but my right hand had instinctively grabbed the rifle. What to do?

The mind is an amazing thing. In an instant I evlauated the choices I had which were to put the rifle down and use both hands to clear the shotgun, or, set the shotgun down with the empty in it and take the MSV. I didn't really like either of those two choices so, my brain said, "Hey, you are holding the forend of the shotgun all you need is something to hit the buttstock on thus clearing the shotgun". No, the table wouldn't work for fear of breaking the 170 by pointing the muzzle straight up. "I know", my brain continued, "just hit it on your gunbelt!". No a bad plan, but my aim was a bit too LOW. Yup, you guessed it. I just used the butt end of a 12 ga. shotgun to hit myself right in the, uh, twins.

Now, to my credit, it did work, but I had to finish the stage with some discomfort you might say. Kinda hard to aim with a tear in your eye. My wife (Dang It's Darlin') noticed that I didn't really walk upright to the unloading table and said she saw something that looked an obscene gesture involving my shotgun but could figure out what the heck I was doing. I didn't have the nerve to tell her until we were back in the truck and headed back home.

All I know is that the double barrel is starting to look better all the time.

Dang It Dan

We named it the "DDM" That's the Dang it Dan Maneuver. Only recommended for Advanced Shooters.

It probably wouldn't hurt any less to wack yourself there with a double... :lol:

Possum: Thats Funny. You shouldn't have told him. He would have found out the hard way..... :lol:

I've already heard the rumor that PWB and the rules committee are trying to find out if there is a 'call' on this type of gun handling. It may not equal the dreaded Trifecta but its surely is one heck of a 'Double Jeopardy' type situation, ifn ya know what I mean..... ^_^

..........Widder

Yup, you guessed it. I just used the butt end of a 12 ga. shotgun to hit myself right in the, uh, twins.

Come on man.....who you trying to fool.....We all know Darlin won't let you use those things!

I'm sure they were nice and safe in her purse.....LOL

Stan :P

Come on man.....who you trying to fool.....We all know Darlin won't let you use those things!

You owe me a keyboard. :lol:

BTW, Darlin did offer him ice to prevent bruising. I believe it was refused.

I was the TO for DID on said stage,,,,I pride myself on anticipating what a shooter is going to do next,,, got to say....I did not see that one coming...

Cheyenne

Gee, this coming from a man who is in THE SAME SITUATION if I am not mistaken. Mine are at least in her purse. Yours are in a mason jar on top of the frige.

P.S. It's nice to have friends. ;).

From page 23 of the RO1 Manual:

PENALTY OVERVIEW

5-SECOND PENALTIES

• Rifle, revolver, and shotgun targets must be engaged with the appropriate type of firearm. A “miss” is defined as the failure to hit the appropriate target type using the appropriate type firearm.

From page 24 of the RO1 Manual:

10- SECOND PENALTIES

Procedural Penalties

Any unintentional procedural errors caused by “brain fade,” confusion, ignorance, or mistakes (not to exceed one for any given stage).

• Engaging the stage (firearms, targets, or maneuvers) in an order other than as required by the stage description.

Now I can't see how ANY firearm could be considered appropriate for hitting said targets but, I sure ain't gonna be the one to say anything was missed either. I also think two seperate targets were engaged simultaneously. For that reason I'd lean toward a P in this instance but I await further guidance from PWB. :lol:

Now I can't see how ANY firearm could be considered appropriate for hitting said targets but, I sure ain't gonna be the one to say anything was missed either. I also think two seperate targets were engaged simultaneously. For that reason I'd lean toward a P in this instance but I await further guidance from PWB. :lol:

I dunno Slim, after something like that happens.......a P is kinda hard to take. :huh::unsure:

From page 23 of the RO1 Manual:

PENALTY OVERVIEW

5-SECOND PENALTIES

• Rifle, revolver, and shotgun targets must be engaged with the appropriate type of firearm. A “miss” is defined as the failure to hit the appropriate target type using the appropriate type firearm.

No way. I want to see where the spotters were standing in order to see if I actuall hit the target(s). And, even though I have been accused of having brass, uh, twins I am pretty sure the only "ding" that was heard was only in my head.

Normally I try to learn all I can from the good shooters, however I think I will have to pass on this technique. ;)

It could work if ya wore a cup!! :) Rye

No way. I want to see where the spotters were standing in order to see if I actuall hit the target(s). And, even though I have been accused of having brass, uh, twins I am pretty sure the only "ding" that was heard was only in my head.

I don't care where they were standing, if that's where they were looking I'd be calling for new spotters. :lol:

Dan; If you haven't noticed....as you look around at the older men in this sport we are all a bit hunched over.....that's from constantly getting kicked in the boys by reality.

See you in Jan if all goes well...

KK

Archived