SASS Wire Forum

Who makes a reliable sa besides colt and u.s. firearms

Jedd Coldtrail

Howdy. Just started looking into the game. I would like to get a good, reliable sa revolver. I know there is Uberti and Pietta and Cimmaron. They all look good. I looked at a Pietta at Cabela's and a Uberti and Ruger. They all seemed okay at least superficially but how do they hold up? I know Ruger is good stuff but something about the feel of the action I didn't like. Didn't have the right amount of clicks when you cocked the hammer. Back in the day as a kid I had access to a "real" Colt SAA in 32-20 and I will forever remember how it felt. Just wish I could afford one now.

Howdy. Just started looking into the game. I would like to get a good, reliable sa revolver. I know there is Uberti and Pietta and Cimmaron. They all look good. I looked at a Pietta at Cabela's and a Uberti and Ruger. They all seemed okay at least superficially but how do they hold up? I know Ruger is good stuff but something about the feel of the action I didn't like. Didn't have the right amount of clicks when you cocked the hammer. Back in the day as a kid I had access to a "real" Colt SAA in 32-20 and I will forever remember how it felt. Just wish I could afford one now.

Cimarron is strictly an "importer". They do have some guns they specially have finished to their specs... but they don't produce them. You said "reliable besides..." so I have to say "RUGER". Much as it pains me to do so... they do make very reliable equipment at affordable prices. Get a "New" Vaquero and most casual observers will not be able to tell the difference between it and a Colt. Most knowledgeable observers will... but as long as you don't claim it to be a Colt, you're good to go. Edited to add: Don't count out the Ruger, I don't particularily care for them, but shot a borrowed pair at a match not long ago... and let me tell ya, other'n the width of the trigger, when runnin' at speed, (even as slow as I shoot), I didn't miss that 4th "click" one little bit!

Well , first off , Cimarron doesn't build anything , they are an importer , as are Taylor's , Navy Arms , and EMF , maybe others. Uberti and Pietta are the biggies from Italy , both make good , reliable single actions. Rugers are very well made and tough , but as you found , the action is different. Rumor is that USFA is lagging in production , I can't say whether that is factual or not. Colts are fairly plentiful , but pricey.

Used stuff from all makers crop up on the SASS classifieds with regularity. You just have to decide what suits you and go from there.

PM me if you are interested in a nice pair of USFA Cowboy models. That is an all blue model , no longer offered I have been told.

Good hunting , Rex :D

RUGER - built like a tank reliability, easy to tune, reasonably priced, easy to to shoot and made in the USA. If you get them in Stainless they're even better - easier to clean, and less maintenance, especially if you decide to shoot BP. I've got Colts, I've got clones and I have about a dozen Rugers in assorted calibers. I normally shoot the Rugers for all the reasons above. They have in the past made special editions in 32-20 and 38-40 (guess how I know :rolleyes:) If you order them from Long Hunter you can buy them all tuned up and ready to roll.

Rugers.. and have Wes Flowers put a 4-click modification and transfer bar removal. :D Loved my pair of them ! Or if you have funds available, nothing else will ever be a Colt.

I've only been shooting for two years so you will probably get comments from people with lots more experience. I am a middle of the pack shooter, not a top competitor.

I would get to a local match and see what other folks are shooting. You will get honest answers about how different guns hold up and you can handle (if not shoot) lots of different guns back to back. What feels OK in a store and what works on the firing line might be different.

The Ruger is very rugged. A New Vaquero can be used right out of the box. You can tune it up a little for not a lot of money. You can have one of the top cowboy gunsmiths turn it into an incredibly fast, light "race gun". As you noted, though, it has a different feel than a Colt or "Colt clone". If you prefer the more traditional action, that's fine.

From the title of your post I assume you want something less expensive than a Colt or USFA but you might be able to find a (now-discontinued or "suspended") USFA Rodeo; that is USFA's plain-finished revolver at a lower price point.

I know people who shoot Ubertis and Piettas. I've heard of the occasional broken spring or whatever but I also got a flat tire on my car. Mechanical things need maintenance and they break on occasion. There is a wide range on price and features on these guns. Ray Tanner has been offering the Uberti Hombre revolvers on GunBroker at $250 each; here is a link to a current auction on a .357; .45 Colt is also available: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=269029151 These are very plain finished guns and there's no choice of barrel length but you can hardly go wrong for the price. If I were starting from scratch I would take a hard look at them. A friend of mine bought a pair of .45s and they worked out fine.

If you want a little nicer finished gun take a look at the factory tuned models like the Smokewagon or Evil Roy. Cimarron has the birdshead grip models available and there are lots of other choices and variations.

Good luck and have fun.

Ruger new Vaquero 100% American Made :FlagAm:

You can buy them from Long Hunter all tuned up and with Three clicks :blink

I'm new to the game as well. Got a pair of Rugers in stainless steel from Long Hunter. No regrets what-so-ever. A great pleasure to shoot. A real great pleasure... however you're the one you have to make happy. Try out a few before you buy and good luck and good shooting!!!

A set of New Vaqueros with a Jimmy Spurs action job are hard to beat! (posted by someone who just got a pair and can hardly stand to put them down) :wub: :wub:

You be careful with those.

I shoot Uberti's ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, got NMV as back-up about 4 years ago (One of the First)got maybe 120 rounds through it ...

Good enough for back-up but I don't like the long heavy trigger pull (56oz.) verses 28oz. on my Uberti's, With zero creep or over-travel ....

So far I have broken one bolt/trigger spring and the bulls-eye off one ejector rod ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that is the total breakage on all my Uberti's in about a dozen years ....

Pietta ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Fixed Hand,fitted arbour,fitted bolt,fitted barrel and smoothed all the insides ..... Shoots about 12 inch groups at 7 yards needs more work !!!! has fired about 45 shots has never made it around the cylinder with-out a problem once ....

I own just the one pietta now ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, wonder why ???

I get 11 pietta's in for fixin for every 1 Uberti ...

Jabez Cowboy

I have Ruger OMV's and Ubertis. I have sold my Colt. The Uberti's Piettas, Rugers, Colts and USFAs will all give good service but can all brake due to being just a machine made of somewhat small metal pieces being cycled fast, controlling thousands of explosions and being exposed to the environment.

Sam Colt was passionate about innovation. He developed the first real working revolver and continued to develop new models until his death in 1861. He never saw the SAA, Peacemaker or other famous Colts that were developed by the men that he surrounded himself with. If he somehow had lived to today, he would be making a gun just like the Ruger Vaquero/Blackhawk (and the Python).

Colts and Colt-copies are typically smoother but can be more troublesome than the Rugers. When I shoot my Colt and Ubertis, I always carry a spare gun. Not so much with the Rugers.

The Pietta Great Western II series, marketed by EMF, were highly regarded & affordable. Haven't seen much mention of them lately, so not sure if opinions about them have changed.

Howdy Jedd, before you buy anything, start going to some local matches and try out the different firearms, try before you buy. Rugers are built like a tank, but I prefer the Colt style. I have GW II and Cimarron Frontiers, both by Pietta, both excellent firearms. I've had great service from Uberti also. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

You mentioned 'reliable' as part of the description.

A good many of our revolvers are reliable to some degree or another.

BUT, ifn ya want a SA that you can cycle over a million times for dry fire practice and still have confidence in it to shoot a big match, then in my humble opinion (and experience), your talkin RUGER!

Plus, the gunsmiths mentioned in previous post can fix em up to give you abunch of clicks you desire.

..........Widder

Jed Coldtrail said "Who makes a reliable SA besides Colt and US Firearms"?

Methinks you are confused, or else looking for a S A that is NOT the most reliable.

Nobody, and I mean Nobody, makes a more reliable and longer lasting SA Revolver than RUGER.

Want clicks?? They can be added. Reliability however is unmatched, by any other S A in the World.

RBK

The Pietta Great Western II series, marketed by EMF, were highly regarded & affordable. Haven't seen much mention of them lately, so not sure if opinions about them have changed.

There was an article about the Alchemista II in the Chronicle!

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Cleecks? Cleecks?

We don't need no steeking cleecks!

I would go with a pair of Rugers. You will need two, by the way. The post referred to a revolver.

It's better to have two revolvers in SASS. It's also good to have then in the SAME caliber as your rifle.

MG

Your Colts may have the correct amount of comfort clicks, and your Italian clones may look slick, but when the cutting is all done and the smoke has cleared them Rugers will still be going. You will know what tough is when you accidently drop a 44 Mag into a cylinder.....the gun still in the original configuration after you touch if off.....that will be the RUGER!

Oglesby & Oglesby, Springfield, ILL are the leaders in my opinion. No one can do things with a Ruger like Bill. Call him and he will tell you why.

Jedd,

I don't know where you live or with whom you shoot, BUT, buy what you can afford, they will last you a long time, so think investment!

THEN talk with shooters in you area and see if there is a "Smith" nearby. Ask what they can do for you.

These things will need attention from time to time.

So find what you like and have soemone close do your work,

Everything or anything you buy for this game will need work before it meets your needs,

Ol' #4

I have just started also and my two revolvers are a Uberti 1875 Remington and a Cimmaron 1873 Pistolero made by Uberti. Both shoot fine for me and as soon as I can find another I will get a second 1875 Remington by Uberti. I just like the way Remingtons feel in my hand. Maybe it is because I started shooting with two Italian 1858 Remingtons.

I shoot Uberti's ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, got NMV as back-up about 4 years ago (One of the First)got maybe 120 rounds through it ...

Good enough for back-up but I don't like the long heavy trigger pull (56oz.) verses 28oz. on my Uberti's, With zero creep or over-travel ....

So far I have broken one bolt/trigger spring and the bulls-eye off one ejector rod ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that is the total breakage on all my Uberti's in about a dozen years ....

Pietta ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Fixed Hand,fitted arbour,fitted bolt,fitted barrel and smoothed all the insides ..... Shoots about 12 inch groups at 7 yards needs more work !!!! has fired about 45 shots has never made it around the cylinder with-out a problem once ....

I own just the one pietta now ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, wonder why ???

I get 11 pietta's in for fixin for every 1 Uberti ...

Jabez Cowboy

Jedd,

I've been shooting SASS for about three years (not often enough - work and life seem to get in the way, sometimes), and I had your exact question when I began.

I now have multiple Rugers, Uberti's and Pietta's. Can't afford Colt's yet - but Lord willin' I'm saving my gold for a couple.

All are good - it is what seems to fit you and your "persona" the best. In the Italian clones, Uberti had a quality advantage for a long while, but IMHO, Pietta has caught and maybe passed them in the C&B pistols in the last three years (& maybe SAA replica). My last three pairs of Pietta C&Bs were GREAT out of the box (much better than the 4 Uberti's I have). I have needed fixes on my Ubertis, but not yet on my Pietta's of similar vintage. When I shoot C&B now, I shoot Pietta. AND my next pair of SAA replica 44-40s will be Alchemista II's (Pietta). ;)

Bottom line - you've already heard it above - it is Personal Preference, and you can get a feel for it, and what you like at a few local matches where the members will eagerly let you shoot their hardware - TRY IT!!

WELCOME to the addiction - (shooting) old guns and great folks!! :D

Harvey

Double tap!?!

Marianne!

Seriously, you'll find top shooters shooting all the brands. Somehow you have to find a way to make whatever you buy work for you. They'll all work for you, but you're going to need to either 1) buy them already worked or 2) get whatever you do buy worked. And 3) fix them or get them fixed from time to time.

The brand only matters to the shooter. The target doesn't much care.

I shoot Colts. Always wanted to shoot Colts. Never thought for a moment about shooting anything else. When I first bought I bought Colts. Everytime since then I've bought Colts. I like to save up and get 1 nice thing rather than 2,3,4 "ok" things. Just a Ruger? Nawwww... no thanks... a Longhunter Ruger or a Jimmy Spurs Ruger...well now you're talking.

They make them work like a Colt. B)

Archived