SASS Wire Forum

Am I right or wrong?

Frenchy Yukon

I have been shooting CAS matches for 11 years and have completed RO1 and RO2 classes. I have also been a match director/Stage Writer many times in the past. That being said when safty issues were brought to my attension I always tried to take care of them as soon as I saw them or as soon as they were brougt to my attension. I was always taught and figuered that was the correct and the (Cowboy Way)to handle those problemes. Recently my son and I were pulled off to the side before the shoot had even started and told that someone (no name given) had made a complant about the way we were shooting. We were told that the above no name given person had said that we were shooting to fast and were close to breaking the 170 rule.I guess he was refering back to a previous match since we had not even started that match. To say the least I was dumbfounded and a little hurt. I have allways tried to play this game with the utmost respect for safty and have instilled the same respect in my son. We are both human and do make mistakes like everyone else but can't figure out where this person is coming from. I always assumed that if he or I had done something wrong we would be told about it immediately and not confronted with it weeks later by someone who was not even there. I asked several people who where on our possie at our last match if they had seen either of us do something unsafe. The answer was unanimously NO.I even asked the person who was the possie leader if he had seen anything wrong and he said no. I don't understand why this (no named person) is starting this but feel that if they have a problem with the way we shoot thet sould confront us with it personally. AM I WRONG!

Don't worry about it. Who knows what their motive was? It was someone with very little backbone.

It's called "head games" and that is what's being "played" on you........

Cheers,

LG

There are even books on this sort of Gamesmanship to teach you how to put the other person off of their game

http://www.amazon.com/Theory-Practice-Gamesmanship-Stephen-Potter/dp/1559212233/ref=sr_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302018768&sr=1-1-catcorr

and yes it stinks but wherever people are competing for anything you will find it going on

I have been shooting CAS matches for 11 years and have completed RO1 and RO2 classes. I have also been a match director/Stage Writer many times in the past. That being said when safty issues were brought to my attension I always tried to take care of them as soon as I saw them or as soon as they were brougt to my attension. I was always taught and figuered that was the correct and the (Cowboy Way)to handle those problemes. Recently my son and I were pulled off to the side before the shoot had even started and told that someone (no name given) had made a complant about the way we were shooting. We were told that the above no name given person had said that we were shooting to fast and were close to breaking the 170 rule.I guess he was refering back to a previous match since we had not even started that match. To say the least I was dumbfounded and a little hurt. I have allways tried to play this game with the utmost respect for safty and have instilled the same respect in my son. We are both human and do make mistakes like everyone else but can't figure out where this person is coming from. I always assumed that if he or I had done something wrong we would be told about it immediately and not confronted with it weeks later by someone who was not even there. I asked several people who where on our possie at our last match if they had seen either of us do something unsafe. The answer was unanimously NO.I even asked the person who was the possie leader if he had seen anything wrong and he said no. I don't understand why this (no named person) is starting this but feel that if they have a problem with the way we shoot thet sould confront us with it personally. AM I WRONG!

Let's see.....there is no such thing as shooting TOO FAST!......and then.....CLOSE to breaking the 170 is NOT against the rules......BREAKING the 170 is......

there is nothing wrong with letting someone know they are close to the 170.....that way they know how much harder they can push or how much they need to back off.

Stan

" had said that we were shooting to fast and were close to breaking the 170 rule"

Hmm :blink: No rule against shooting too fast, no rule against almost breaking the 170 rule :wacko: I would think if you were close to breaking the 170 something should have been said about it right then and there. :huh: Don't worry about it, keep on keeping on :)

Jefro :ph34r:

I've shot with you many times and your son a few times. Fast confuses people. SLOW DOWN so I can win the dang category!

Har!

Yer a good pard and a safe shooter Frenchy. Some folks get a might uptight about crossdraws...don't know if that was the issue. Personally, if a feller keeps his thumb off the hammer and his finger away from the trigger whilst drawing....and I count 5 shots fired before reholstering, cross-draws don't bother me all that much.

But, yer gonna git the good with the bad....especially the namby pamby types who don't have the stones to bring it up to you but feel it is their God-given right to go squeel to the MD.

Fuggedaboutit. You'll find out who it is eventually, then we can penalize the crap outta them.

Boy, nobody has ever accused me of shooting too fast.

Well, Frenchy....you have had plenty of good responses to your post. Knowing you, I am a bit surprised you didn't clear the air right then and there. I do hope both your range guy and the one who's bitching reads the responses. I think it is time you came back and visited us at Daleville.

'shootin' too fast'..???:lol:

You're fine - the other fella is just bein' a boob :lol:

yeah...and I hope he reads this!

Like all families - a boob or two are bound to perk up ...:lol: I'm on a roll!!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Yeah, Frenchy .. you shoot too fast. Can ya slow it down a little?

Sounds like the (true story) spotter who scored misses if the target didn't move enough or ring loud enough to his liking. My mother thinks I drive too fast, because she can't keep up with all the things going on at interstate speeds.

CR

Frenchy, I think you should approach the individual that confronted you and after you had told them what the other possee members had said. Insisit that he tell you who it was that complained and let him know that he should he go to the other person and tell him/her of the general consensus of your possee. You should stay away from the trouble maker. Turn the mind games back on that person. You just keep smiling at that individual and drive them crazy with niceness.

Crosscut Jack

:)

I really appriciate all of the responces I have got on this. I do have a pretty good idea where it came from. I just hope that he reads it and has the stones to tell me to my person the next time he sees me. I don't plan on slowing down and won't be telling my son to do it either (even if I would like to be able to beat him again :rolleyes: ). I do want to thank KK and Furball for helping me to over come the anger that was building up in me. They helped me to put things back into perspective so I could go on and enjoy my day. Thankyou all again!!!

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

me either

Frenchy Yukon

Slow down, pard.

Enjoy the sunshine.

Sniff the flowers. Pick a few while yer at it.

Life is too short to run through it.

Oh and don't worry about that timer they just stuck in yer ear. It don't mean nothin':lol:

Yeah Right!

This is a game of SPEED and ACCURACY.

Ya can't shoot it too fast.

Just have fun and don't let the head games get to ya.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Yep, I'm not much impressed with the one who said it or the one who told you about it. Beware of those who bring bad news just for the sake of bringing bad news.

Hi Frenchy,

I thought this was worth repeating.

I hope that, after reading posts by folks who know you, you can laugh at the stupidity of someone who says you shoot too fast and almost break the 170. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Allie Mo

...shooting to fast... !

Yur OK cowboy...but,

I need to know exactly how fast "to fast" is.

Would that be like the timer running out of sand before I finish fast? Or "to dark to see the sun dial" fast? Maybe "can't see where to plant the stick to see if I moved" fast?

Jus' askin'.

Olen :huh:

quote name='Frenchy Yukon' timestamp='1302017511' post='2156077']

...we were shooting to fast....

I ain't even close ta bein' in yer's or Scattergun's league and I get a kick outa watchin' fast shooters. Shoot as fast as ya can. Thats how we slow pokes learn.

...close to breaking the 170 rule...

"close"?? Horseshoes and hand grenades comes to mind...sheesh :rolleyes:

...AM I WRONG!

Nope! I'd shoot with ya anytime! And I'd agree with the above replies. Head gamers! And don't say nothin' unless yer man enough to back it up.

ol' poke

Yur OK cowboy...but,

I need to know exactly how fast "to fast" is.

Would that be like the timer running out of sand before I finish fast? Or "to dark to see the sun dial" fast? Maybe "can't see where to plant the stick to see if I moved" fast?

Jus' askin'.

Olen :huh:

"Calendar ran out of pages" fast. :P

Prolly cuz u dont. :P

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

In a speed game you can't be too fast.

On the 170 rule, it could be that whoever complained thought you broke it but wasn't sure. Or maybe saw that you have one habitual behaviour that consistently brings you to an estimated 169o 59' and even a minor repositioning of your feet, or a twitch, could cause you to break the 170. In which case he should have taken you aside and said "You may not be aware of it, but when you do (X) it looks to me like you are always within a gnats hair of going over 170, or maybe just a tad over. Just wanted to mention it so you don't get a DQ."

Passing it on to get passed on is a bunch of chicken guano.

Yep, yer right or wrong.

Here is my take on this issue,

Since I was your Posse Marshall on the last 3 shoots we were at, I suppose I should be a little more observant.

Also...maybe I should be watched to be sure I watch you more closely. HeeHeee ain't it fun. Oh..hmm, maybe I was asked to be posse marshall so I COULD be watched watching you. HaaHaa, relax Frenchy, I'll posse with ya!

Oh and Frenchy, If ya do slow down a little.............I got ya.

Blood Washed

Yep, yer right or wrong.

Here is my take on this issue,

Since I was your Posse Marshall on the last 3 shoots we were at, I suppose I should be a little more observant.

Also...maybe I should be watched to be sure I watch you more closely. HeeHeee ain't it fun. Oh..hmm, maybe I was asked to be posse marshall so I COULD be watched watching you. HaaHaa, relax Frenchy, I'll posse with ya!

Oh and Frenchy, If ya do slow down a little.............I got ya.

Blood Washed

YOU BETTER WATCH OUT BLOODWASHED you might be the next one to make the better be watched list. As for Scattergun and I being on that list we like to be watched. We are watched at most places we shoot at as are every other shooter there. I just hope that the person that thinks we are not being safe comes to us at the time of the foul and tells us about it right then. On the other hand if all this is just about playing head games we are over it. We plan on shooting our best and fastest at every shoot. You can bet i'm not slowing down just so you and Spittoon can beat up on me. We like to go fast SAFELY!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

!@#$ I shoot "too fast" sometimes also... has to be it... otherwise HOW COULD I MISS SUCH CLOSE TARGETS! Now, drat... I see that ploy didn't work... have to figure out something else...

Hey! Where's the "stirrin' the pot" smilie?

(I ain't got a clue how that "email link" got in there... must be this new confuser!)

It's also possible that the conveyor of the information from no-name misunderstood the intent of what no-name was saying.

I know the reason my mouth is so big is because I often put my foot in it. :wacko:

And sometimes, I'll say something, while I'm thinking A, but I didn't discuss it right, or fully, or from the right angle, and someone else gets an impression other than what I meant to convey, or other than what I meant.

Example: What if you and your son were doing just fine, shooting your prior stages. And no-name, thinking about safety, makes a comment about the importance of the 170 rule---NOT criticizing you, but just watching you shoot was inspired to think of the concept. Then the Conveyor of the information hears it, is thinking no-name meant you, and....

These things, communication problems, happen a lot, and are some of the "small stuff" we're not supposed to worry about. Others think you're fine, so don't sweat it. :)

Love and blessings

Aunt Jen

Archived