SASS Wire Forum

Rust Protection Oil

What do you favour as a rust protection oil for your blued firearms?

I've used G96  for a long time (always bought the large aerosol cans). 

I keep a G96 soaked rag in a salsa jar (with lid) and use that to wipe down guns before putting them in the safe.

Castrol 5w30, same as my Chevy.  Excellent lube and rust prevention. Try it. 

Eezox works well. The only thing I've used in my muzzleloader barrel and don't get any orange on the patch next time I shoot it and wipe before loading. Cleans BP guns too! Thanks for the tip @Wagon Box Willy

• Like 1

@Sedalia Dave, thanks for the link. Very informative. That would also make a great high school science fair project.

La Sombra 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Looking at the test results, looks like ONE SHOT is a pretty good item.

..........Widder

It is. I use both the gun lube and case lube. Case lube sure saves on my elbow when using carbide dies. Even works on 44-40 brass

Just be sure to shake the cans well before using.

For rifle brass I use Imperial Sizing Wax. 

• Like 2

The only place I have trouble with rust is inside the magazine tube on my 73.  I suspect that the inside was never blued.  I try to clean it after every match and it always takes several patches to get the red (orange) out.

I like Mobil 1 motor oil.  Full Synthetic and plays well with BP and Subs.  Quart bottle goes a loooooong way.

DIAMOND JAKE:  Source up a can or two of Boeshield T-9.  Rust preventative lube.  Spray in the Mag tube and also soak a patch or two.  Leave the Mag uncapped for it to dry.  Once dry it's a great dry lube rust preventative and does not attract dust and such.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

The only place I have trouble with rust is inside the magazine tube on my 73.  I suspect that the inside was never blued.  I try to clean it after every match and it always takes several patches to get the red (orange) out.

I polish the insides of my magazine tubes with a hard car wax. Clean and degrease the inside of the tube. Choose a shotgun bore mop that fits the inside of the tube. Chuck an old SG cleaning rod in my drill, attach the bore mop to the rod, apply a liberal amount of wax and then insert it into the tube turning it slowly to evenly coat the tube. Remove and allow the wax in the tube to haze over. Then reinsert the bore mop and turn at high speed while moving it up and down the tube, being careful to not get the tubed too hot.

Polish to a mirror finish.

15 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Looking at the test results, looks like ONE SHOT is a pretty good item.

..........Widder

I have used One Shot since 2014 and been very happy with it.  For long term storage I use Birchwood Casey Barricade.

Randy

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

Clean it really well and soak it with Barricade, then run a patch through it to remove the excess. also if you haven’t done it change the spring out with a stainless one.

Randy

Edited by Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903
Information added
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

Usually caused by condensation.

Look at adding a vent hole near the top of the tube so it can 'breathe'.

On 5/10/2024 at 4:34 PM, Rattlesnake Slim said:

DON'T trust Larsen, he lives in the dry part of the desert.

DO trust KingSnake, it occasionally rains in the Verde Valley, and they have a river there.

yeah, it is a dry heat. LOL

TM

• Haha 1

ONE SHOT gun lube and cleaner. (Black tin) It's a dry lube, you can just spray the firearm lightly and leave it, don't even have to rub a cloth over, it will dry, dry.

I only use this for all my smokeless cleaning. I have never used oil, as a protective, only for lube purposes like the moving parts, etc.

It doesn't dry and collects all sorts of crap that will stick.

ONE SHOT case lube for the cases before loading. (Red tin)

• Like 2