SASS Wire Forum

Would you kill this dog

One of my dad's friends about 60 years ago had bought an expensive hunting dog, gone through training with it.  Everything seemed fine.  First hunt it took off after something and wouldn't heed commands so he shot it on the spot. 

I think she did the right thing in the wrong way.   

• Like 5

Regardless of what I think or would have done...she's a dumbass for publicizing it in the manner that she has. Same with the goat. There are things that have to be done in life that are unpleasant, these things are better off left unsaid beyond immediate family.

I don't know if I would have shot the dog or not as I wasn't there. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

When dogs start biting humans, while unprovoked, and with regularity, it's lights out time. But, talking about it in public is likely considered poor form.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Regardless of what I think or would have done...she's a dumbass for publicizing it in the manner that she has. Same with the goat. There are things that have to be done in life that are unpleasant, these things are better off left unsaid beyond immediate family.

3 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

When dogs start biting humans, while unprovoked, and with regularity, it's lights out time. But, talking about it in public is likely considered poor form.

8 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I think the reason she put it in her book was that it was going to come out eventually so she decided to explain it herself. I don’t blame her for what she did.
My ex had to put a rescue dog down because it bit a few of her friends and my son. The APL put it down because they couldn’t put it up for adoption.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Going back in time, there was an old Southernism or maybe Ruralism, "You shoot your own dogs."  The broad meaning of the phrase was that you did the hard thing if it was right even if it hurt.  I have never had to shoot one of my dogs, though one died in such pain that I probably should have.  The others have been gotten to the Vet, some 75 miles away, a trip they did not enjoy.  When you live in the country, you have few neighbors and they must be valued.  Their stock, even chickens cannot be at the mercy of your dogs.  Hindsight is 20/20, she probably have taken the problem dog to be euthanized.  The last time I had an old boy who had to go, and it was not a point I considered, it was the price of a pretty nice handgun.

• Like 4

Not being in her shoes, I won’t judge her. I’ve had to shoot two dogs on our property in the last 30 years, both very agressive. One was a Rottweiler that the owner let run while he was at work. I was in my shop one day and stepped out and the dog was right there with bared teeth and a growl. I stepped back into the shop and the dog followed and I shot him with the gun that I keep in my tool belt. I called the sheriff and they sent a deputy out and the dog catcher showed up and they both agreed that I did the right thing. The neighbor was pissed and threatened to sue me, but never did. The other one kept coming around and jumping into my dogs pen and fought with them so when the owner refused to pen his dog and it came into their pen I let him have it. Getting animal control to do anything about dogs running loose out here is nearly impossible. I have a neighbor that has 2 huskies that get out a lot and come down and play in the creek behind my house, my wife or I call them up and they show up very fast and retrieve their dogs, they’re very well behaved dogs and I wouldn’t think of shooting them. There are some homeless camps around and they leave gates open when they go into get water for their camps. Can’t do much about them either.

• Like 3

While I would not want to do it, I would if it had to be done. Living in the city, I don't have to, but if it ever happens that I need to, I will.

I tend to agree that trying to get in front of the story is probably her best plan. By the time election time is here it will be old news. 

My personal opinion, that she did it herself shows that she can and will make the hard decisions. To me, a point in her favor.

“If it has to be done, a man—a real man—shoots his own dog himself; he doesn’t hire a proxy who may bungle it.”

Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I didn't like hearing it, but I'm not judging her. You do what you gotta do, and I wasn't there so I don't know.

I don't know if I could pull the trigger on my dog:(. It's bad enough when I have to take them for their last ride.

I think I'd have preferred for her to have kept those details from me, but like I said earlier, "you do what you gotta do". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I take the second part of my signature very seriously.  It’s most often some human’s fault that a dog goes bad.

However, a really bad dog has to be dealt with and I HAVE  done the deed myself.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I take the second part of my signature very seriously.  It’s most often some human’s fault that a dog goes bad.

However, a really bad dog has to be dealt with and I HAVE  done the deed myself.

I agree, sometimes "you do what you gotta do"....I just wouldn't do it myself...not judging or saying it didn't need to be dealt with, just not a job I chose to do...or write about in my memoirs

• Like 2

Life is tough and sometimes requires a good bit of grit.  When I lived in a suburb, with a large fenced yard, unbeknown to me since I worked for a living, a nasty, small portion of kids passing on the way home from school tortured my Labrador, not an aggressive breed, and made him so unpredictable I had to have him put down when he treed a neighbor on top of a car.  He never bit anyone, but civil society requires hard choices.  It is most often the owner, but sometimes other forces or a breed anomaly that causes issues.  The vet told me the dog had a brain tumor - almost as credible as "moved to live on a Farm".

• Like 1

1. The three S's. 

2. The media is calling it a, '14 month old puppy' -- as if it's a human child. A 14 month old dog is NOT a puppy. It's a grown-ass dog capable of doing a good bit of damage if it's unruly around livestock and people.

3. The media gets even more mileage out of the story because the dog had a cute name. If she'd named it 'Trump' or 'The Donald', the talking heads would be exploding over how to deliver the story.

4. The arc of the coverage (especially coming out at the beginning of the week) reinforces the idea that Noem was on the short list for a VP pick, and there are people who would hate to see a competent, dynamic female republican on the ticket as a counterpoint to the current cackler.

5. Grew up in the country, understand shouldering the burden of a hard choice when it comes to livestock. Have had to put down dogs; never liked it, but never needed to put the deed on someone else. Still have a clear memory of one of my dogs laying by the side of the road, and Dad handing me the rifle, "Son, he's your dog. He needs you to do what you know he needs done."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'm more concerned that this is a devisive story instead of a 'well duh' moment.

Soft people make hard times.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

I'm more concerned that this is a devisive story instead of a 'well duh' moment.

Soft people make hard times.

The left is after her and they jumped on this! It happened 20 years ago for goodness sakes! She’s been doing a decent job as Governor! 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The left is after her and they jumped on this! It happened 20 years ago for goodness sakes! She’s been doing a decent job as Governor! 

Exactly.

Just wait until the left finds out she got an after school detention in 2nd grade!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The question was, would I shoot the dog. NO. Would, and have on occasion, take him to the vet for a humane death. But our dogs are our family and the last thing for my faithful friend to feel when it's his time will not be the shear terror ,pain and horror of a bullet blasting thru them. It's not me. They will go out peaceful and loved with me by their side. 

image.thumb.png.902f5666abf10ef5968ed21fc4c79489.png

This is just another political hit piece against Noem.
City people simply do not get it.. they do not understand the concept of livestock protection, because they think beef grows in supermarkets.

IMO rotten dogs and rotten people should both be euthanized.

• Like 2

Real life is not a Disney movie.  Not every animal is your friend.  

I recall a particular large purebred dog that was taken to the local humane society shelter because it was biting family members.  The bleeding hearts at the shelter could not bring themselves to euthanize the dog because it was a "purebred", so they adopted it out.  Several times.  Each time it was returned to the shelter because it kept biting people.  Finally  after several children were injured, the shelter euthanized that dog.

If someone had had the courage to make an unpopular decision sooner, several kids would have been protected from injury.

Dogs who are going to be around kids should have a lot of tolerance:  they should allow a baby to crawl up and start chewing on its ear.  There are such dogs. But not all dogs are that safe.

Ms. Noem?  She made the right choice.  She shouldn't have publicized it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bgavin said:

This is just another political hit piece against Noem.
City people simply do not get it.. they do not understand the concept of livestock protection, because they think beef grows in supermarkets.

IMO rotten dogs and rotten people should both be euthanized.

Political hit piece against Noem? Really? She put the bait out there and wonders why the wrong fish are biting? Dumb move. 

For the record, I have zero problem with nuisance animal abatement, including dogs. I have no idea if the dog was, in fact, menacing/killing chickens...I assume it was. My problem is that Noem herself brought this scrutiny on herself willingly while trying to hawk a (supposed) memoir. Dumb move. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Local sheriff deputy recently told me they don’t have an animal control department and if a stray comes, especially the pit bull that kept showing up, shoot it.  

a local farmer took his injured hog to the vet after his former dogs got in the pen and tried to eat it.  Note he said former dogs.  

once a dog gets a taste of livestock it won’t stop.  Ask my chickens.  

• Like 1

A wolf will take a chicken and go eat it. A dog will kill all the chickens before looking for his bowl of kibble.

I had a half-breed Husky who liked to roam. I had a GPS on his collar as he was also a Houdini and understood how door knobs worked. Smart boy.

I did always manage to track him down, but would have understood if anyone on the mountain shot him to save their chickens. There are a couple other dogs on the mountain. They have roamed there for years. They seem to be smart enough to leave chickens alone.

Kristi Noem may be country enough to not understand how city folk will react to her experience.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Kristi Noem may be country enough to not understand how city folk will react to her experience.

Exactly.

What is normal for her, is "appalling" to the city crowds, and supremely appetizing to her political opponents.
Anybody who thinks the Left does not pounce on exploiting any detail, is living under a rock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Apparently she has been telling the story for years so she put it in the book to show how she is decisive and is prepared to do difficult things.  Years ago, I remember, more than once, neighbors digging a hole and placing their animal in it and having it dispatched by the local PD, after which they covered up the hole.  Back then dogs were considered by many to be protectors, hunters and such.  There was a thread on here way back discussing dogs and their use and some folks never let them in their home but kept them outside to guard animals and property.  Nowadays many more dogs are house pets and fashion accessories.  Just look at videos on sites such as Facebook where the dogs are considered "brothers" or "sisters" to young children.  Sort of like the Bambi effect where deer are portrayed as having human qualities.

• Like 1

I was born and raised on a large ranch east of Helena, MT, and still live on part of it. Some 45+ years ago, developers started buying up small farms & ranches out here and subdividing them. A very common theme is someone buys a five acre lot, builds a house and "barn", and pens up a couple horses so they can be "horse people" to their friends in town. Then they let their dogs run free because "that's why we moved to the country". The dogs pack up and have no trouble traveling a couple miles or more where they chase and chew up new calves, lambs, chickens, etc. and kill them just like the coyotes do. I've warned lots of people not to do that and what the farmers & ranchers will do, which is normally met with a retort such as, "You kill my dogs, and I'll f**king kill you" or "You shoot my dogs and I'll sue you for everything you've got". Four or more decades now, I'm still alive, no lawsuits, and the shovel has plenty of wear left.

• Like 5