SASS Wire Forum

If you are traveling to see the eclipse...

Watch out for gasoline shortages.  

We are visiting our daughter and her family in Arkansas, in the 100% totality zone.  Some filling stations are completely out of gasoline already.  Friday afternoon.

We are planning to return to Springfield, MO tomorrow.  I have enough in the tank to get there.  Not staying until the eclipse is over, no interest in fighting crowds and traffic.

Just saying, keep your tank topped off if you can.  I suspect gas won't be the only thing in short supply in some places!

4 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Should I pass the info to my friend?  He drives a Prius.

I trust your judgement.

:D

As of  few months ago our plan was to go to Texas and meet up with my daughter, son-in-law, grandson and my son-in-law’s parents to view the eclipse. At Christmas time we found out those plans changed so we wouldn’t be headed to Texas.

So, my plan became that we would wait until a week before the eclipse then see where it would be sunny and head there for the eclipse. 
I got my telescope ready with a proper filter. I bought eclipse glasses and filters for binoculars and cell phone lenses. 
Well, my choices for the eclipse, Upper Sandusky or Carey Ohio or Erie, PA are now going to be cloudy with a chance of rain. 

So, I will not be wasting gas or money on food or lodging. 

Maybe I will hit the range in the morning and if it’s not cloudy I will watch the partial eclipse  in the afternoon. 

Don’t come to Northeast Ohio which is directly in the path of the eclipse. All the gas stations will be closed that day!:P

4 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Watch out for gasoline shortages.  

We are visiting our daughter and her family in Arkansas, in the 100% totality zone.  Some filling stations are completely out of gasoline already.  Friday afternoon.

We are planning to return to Springfield, MO tomorrow.  I have enough in the tank to get there.  Not staying until the eclipse is over, no interest in fighting crowds and traffic.

Just saying, keep your tank topped off if you can.  I suspect gas won't be the only thing in short supply in some places!

Where you coming to? I'm in Heber Springs!

11 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Where you coming to? I'm in Heber Springs!

Spending Friday night in Conway after 2 days in Hot Springs.  On to Springfield tomorrow.  Enjoy your eclipse!!  :)

We'll be here in sunny Florida listening to:

"And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon"

Erie - Cloudy with 30% chance of rain Monday. 
image.thumb.png.81419c8bf075f9f99a5576c7f79b95b0.png

Upper Sandusky / Carey Ohio

image.thumb.png.a99ace4b5294b67f901d27eff4ff28b4.png

My wife and I are staying home. 
My guardian angel tells me that where ever I go in the eclipse path it will be cloudy. 

For some reason, I just can't help but remember a book I read many years ago called "The Day of the Triffids". 

im not , ive seen one or two over the years , im not enamored with celestial things other than enjoying the stars when im camping - wherever that might be , i enjoyed the northern lights on a canadian island back a long time ago - nothing anyone would see routinely by any means - an exceptional show with no obstructions or distractions other than my fellow fishermen opening their beers , 

as to the rest of this - im a capricorn if anyone cares , and ill not be traveling to see this ,  

Here in Austin it is predicted to be cloudy with 70% rain and thunderstorms. Not going to be very visible. Just going to get darker. Fuel has also gone up around 30 to 50 cents a gallon depending on the station. 

TM

People going silly buying glasses here , Umm look at the weather buttercup , Its snowing now and storm until late tomorrow you wont even see the sun till Tuesday.

That being said Today is Day 3 , the Eclipse tomorrow is just a coincidence, but makes for a a target of opportunity for a attack that our Gov  is warning about but using eclipse as reason to hide their failures. 

Clouds and rain. God’s way of saying “£#€% Y’all!  You don’t get to see my works tomorrow. :lol::lol::lol:

I posted my plans earlier in this thread, but today’s forecast for Erie and Upper Sandusky tomorrow have sealed my decision. 
IMG_9758.thumb.jpeg.09253a678ff2f184cbfa8eb2918b8e7f.jpeg

I think I will go to the range tomorrow. Shooting in the rain assures privacy. 

You all can come over to my place. We will have 90.7% coverage of the sun at the peak and it starts at 2:12 pm, Totality begins at 2:53 pm, Max coverage at 3:26 pm, Totality ends 3:59 pm, Partial ends at 4:36 pm. I guess the whole afternoon will be shot for getting anything done.

The forecast for here is partly cloudy and about 70 degrees.

I bought a pair of glasses for $4. The gas station I get gas at had sign that stated they were out of glasses.

Looks like all stations were open here and had gas.

They have been having a bunch of events celebrating here since Friday evening mostly at the fairgrounds.

I have been mostly at home.

Last prediction I heard for our area is light high level clouds. Before, during, and after the eclipse I'll be sitting in my truck as part of ARES working with our county EMA as a traffic spotter, keeping an eye out for problems.

Gas prices went up in many places along the interstate here in the Nashville area!! :angry:

Schoolmarm and I went back toward Nashville to have lunch with some friends today.  The nearest place to see the eclipse to us is Paducah, KY, about a hundred miles from our house and traffic was nearly at a standstill going Northwest on I-24 when we came back to the house!!  :wacko:

I got off the highway at exit 31, the exit before my home exit, still inside Metro Nashville!! That’s more than a hundred miles from Paducah.  No evidence of any accident or road construction for at least thirty-five miles!!  :rolleyes: <_<

We are in the 100% area, with a forecast of 82 and partly cloudy. All bets are off as to how crowded we will be.

I noticed yesterday that ALL the gas stations around here had their Regular gasoline priced at $3.39 per gallon. Every station I passed had the same price. 
Why is that weird? Because Exxon is always 10 or 15 cents cheaper than BFS or Mobil. Mobil is usually a few cents higher than BFS. The gas sold at Circle K is always about 5 cents higher than Exxon, but it was also $3.39. I didn’t drive by the Sunoco that I go yo to get 93 octane gas for my bike and Miata. Now I kind of wish I did. 
I don’t know the reason for this. I just found it odd that every station was priced exactly the same. 

High cirrus on the soggy south shore of Lake Erie.

Two days ago, gas stations were PACKED and traffic was heavy and impatient.

I viewed this once in a lifetime event from my driveway.

When it was over I went inside, poured coffee and said "My, my, that's very nice."

Sunny and clear here. At a friends place in Olney Il, bought pork burgers and brats and sat out side and saw it. Took a couple quick looks during the full part with the glasses, made for a cool effect to see but my phone did not get a good picture to share. traffic was a mess everywhere.

Friend took these in SE Missouri. 

image000000.thumb.jpeg.a5f14bd7785fe47daf971ba5a11d50bb.jpeg

image000001.thumb.jpeg.f6d182285f6b2b1c4be843328f2b5cca.jpeg

image000003.thumb.jpeg.634641bd70122d24f2fae534cca50d06.jpeg

The red points a 2 and 5 o'clock are solar flares. Correction solar prominences. 

image000002.thumb.jpeg.77eb5da70a6f4cf42ea5491fabe8a95d.jpeg

No photos of the eclipse, but I had a great seat. Traffic stopped as it neared totality, and I was able to view it. I could make out one prominence.

I did get a picture of my truck complete with antenna and "EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS" magnetic sign attached.

IMG_2466.jpg

We had a perfect view here but I could not get my camera to get a clear picture.

Archived