SASS Wire Forum

HOW is a PERSON SUPPOSED to SAY NO!

Fallon Kid

For over 10 years I have refused to get a 44-40 caliber gun. Absolutely adamant I tell. LOL The 44-40 is a fiddley case, prone to bend easy, bottle neck rubbish and a bugger to expand and load and an extra step to crimp. Plus very easy to get mixed in with 45 colt. A person would have to be out of their mind to own one.

Monday, I swing by to pick up some canvas loading bags I ordered from a nice lady. ( Jax Leather) and the husband said I looking to sell some sequential S/N Uberti 73’s all tricked out and a slicked up  73 Oct barrel Uberti steel ringer. (4speed w/posi traction and 3 duces) And he said “they are 44-40”. I picked up one pistol and my fingers would not move to the open position when I tried to set it down and walk away. I felt off balance so I picked up the other pistol. The same thing happened to the other hand.  My first thought in times of stress is  ‘God, grant me the courage to accept the things I cannot change’

The loading bags are great and very pleased. To keep this happy train rolling, I went to my local gun store this AM and they had a consignment NIB Starline 44-40 brass 500 count. (under a 100 bucks) This brass is gonna work really great in my new black powder SAS shooting irons. 44-40 of course.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!  SASS gives me more fun than any person should deserve.

• Like 8
  • Haha 12

You're gonna love 'em! Once hooked I got of the 45 bidness. Good shootin'!

• Haha 1

Once you go dash (caliber) you never go back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Fallon, it sounds like you have fallen off the wagon & into a pile of FUN!

Just be careful as you ride down the dark & smokey trail.... dash caliber a very contagious, lol.

• Like 3

I shot .44-40 for about 7-8 years bp and then smokeless for a couple years. It’s a fussy cartridge for sure. I went to .38 spl and I’m not looking back!

I have several modern revolvers in .38/357 so going to .38 for cowboy was a great choice for me.

• Thanks 1

I started out a 45Colt guy. It was what I had and what I added to with Marlin 1894 in 45Colt.  Then Sawmill Mary got into the game and she wanted the 38/357 route - 2 1894s and 4 handguns. 

Then I don't know what came next but got into 44WCF.  Pistols and rifles.  Then Sawmill Mary converted over to 44WCF in rifle and pistols.

His and her's Smoke Wagons in 44WCF. 

1720549165_HisandherssmokewagonsSept2018.jpg.0d442425c7f55162fbfc1157d32566d1.jpg

• Like 2

Kid, I know whereof you speak.  I started out in the game with 45 Colt, and sympathetically listened to pards complain about their troubles reloading the 44WCF.  Even politely listened to them telling me that my 45 Colt Uberti 1873 rifle was an affront to all Winchesters, everywhere, withheld my retorts and simply smirked to myself about how easy the 45 Colt is to load!  

And then came a feller down in South Texas offering up an AWA Lightning for a bargain basement like price!   OOO, my imagination took off with flights of fancy as to what a wonderful addition to my WB arsenal this would be... and maybe even sneak it into a cowboy match or three!  ACH DU LIEBER!   It's a .44-40!  A painful debate raged in the my head!   To 44WCF or not to 44WCF...  An obvious philosophical conundrum!   As luck would have it, Starline had just put in on their "ok to backorder" list...   Two obvious signs the die was cast... or, as a practical matter... yet to be ordered.  So, off to Midway for a set of RCBS Cowboy dies, to Dillon for a conversion kit and to a local bullet purveyor to see what could be had. 

Yes, I crushed a case or two...  Tends to happen when you don't line up the case with the sizing die...  Or forget to replace the locating button by the powder drop and think that "just a little more force" might overcome the hesitation mid-way thru the stroke!  And yes... the trombone rifle is a fun addition to the WB arsenal!  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I have been shooting 44's sence the beginning. 

My Daddy & Granddaddy seen to that .

I'm one of them guys saying 357-38 ? 

That's for kids to learn how to shoot .

Men shoot 44's 

Plus what is  better then a 44 ? 

A Pair of 44's :D

Screenshot_20240327_060853_Photos.jpg

ive not gone to 44s but those could change my mind , 

ive always shot 45 colt , im now dabling in 38spcl 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 12:53 PM, slow poke gear said:

Love my 44-40s, it is in my opinion the best cartridge for black powder. It's also just about as origami as you can get in cowboy action (as far as age).

I even use mine to hunt with

Screenshot_20240130_205134_Gallery.jpg

Nice Hunt with a Henry !

Congratulations Pard. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 4:51 PM, Fallon Kid said:

For over 10 years I have refused to get a 44-40 caliber gun. Absolutely adamant I tell. LOL The 44-40 is a fiddley case, prone to bend easy, bottle neck rubbish and a bugger to expand and load and an extra step to crimp. Plus very easy to get mixed in with 45 colt. A person would have to be out of their mind to own one.

Monday, I swing by to pick up some canvas loading bags I ordered from a nice lady. ( Jax Leather) and the husband said I looking to sell some sequential S/N Uberti 73’s all tricked out and a slicked up  73 Oct barrel Uberti steel ringer. (4speed w/posi traction and 3 duces) And he said “they are 44-40”. I picked up one pistol and my fingers would not move to the open position when I tried to set it down and walk away. I felt off balance so I picked up the other pistol. The same thing happened to the other hand.  My first thought in times of stress is  ‘God, grant me the courage to accept the things I cannot change’

The loading bags are great and very pleased. To keep this happy train rolling, I went to my local gun store this AM and they had a consignment NIB Starline 44-40 brass 500 count. (under a 100 bucks) This brass is gonna work really great in my new black powder SAS shooting irons. 44-40 of course.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!  SASS gives me more fun than any person should deserve.

Hey Buddy,

I was in Wiley Brothers yesterday and they had a real pretty Uberti '66 in 44/40 all engraved for sale. Sounds like it could be right up your alley!! They got some of my hard earned cash but that's another story!!

Jasper

• Like 1

I started with 45LCs, but when I could no longer find any commercial 45LC Ammo, I bought 38 Specials.  I had not yet started to reload and could not find 45LC Ammo, but 38 Spl was available and cheaper.  A pard taught me how to reload and everything was going smooth.  Then, I thought if one is trying to shoot Cowboy Action as being from the old west, shouldn't you be shooting what the early cowboys shot.

Thus, here came the 44-40s and black powder.  I do not shoot black powder in any of my smokeless firearms.  I shoot 38 Special Smokeless for all the monthly matches and 44-40 black powder for all annual or bigger matches. I enjoy them both and reload them both.

• Like 3

MY main match rifle is 44-40...that said there is a bit of a learning curve to reloading them. Yes I do still occasionally mangle a case but I have done that with straight walled cases too. The only time I have really had any issues was when I have reloaded with smokeless powder. I ended up with some collapsing bullets but have resolved that issue with a Redding profile crimp die. 

Have been shooting frontiersman for the past few years but am thinking of shooting my 44-40 USAF's this season since my capguns have been giving me some fits.

Sgt Hochbauer

And just wait, 44-40 is only a gateway drug! Before you know it you'll be fiddling around with 38-40, 32-20, telling yourself you can quit anytime, 40-65, 50-70, 50-95, it's just one more caliber, I don't need to, it just sounds fun, 45-75, 32-40, and before you know it, it's three am and you're researching how to make 577/450 Martini Henry brass out of 28 gauge brass shotgun hulls. Welcome aboard!