SASS Wire Forum

Using Gun Broker - Is it worth it?

Moe T Vator

I search  the site for supplies I can't find at local stores or at reputable online stores. I have bought smokeless powders several times on Gunbroker, but only if someone is selling locally where I can pick it up and not pay the high shipping & hazemat fees. Other than that, I check occasionally  to see if particular items are back on the market so I can then start inquiries locally.

• Like 1

Yes, I use GB.

Wider range of buyers, many of whom are not adverse to spending $$.

Depends alot on the gun.

Pure cowboy (like Vaqueros, Uberti cattleman, etc) guns do well here, but guns that have a non-cowboy appeal (like Blackhawks) do well on GB.

They charge 6%, so there's that.

And the buyer pays sales tax, shipping, and a 1% fee.

But it is an auction, not fixed price, so you may get more.

--Dawg

• Like 3

I'll buy if the price is sane, but I do not sell on GB.

• Like 3

I have bought on GB, but mostly use it as an easy reference to see if the asking price for something I am interested in is a good value (answering the question "can I buy it cheaper on GB?).

Having never sold a gun, I can not comment on that side of using GB.

• Like 1

I quit buying on GB years ago. Before they stared adding fees. Got Grafs 20 minutes away. MidwayUSA about 40.  Starline 90 minutes.  Missouri Bullets 2.5 hours. (Although both MidwayUSA and Grafs stock both Starline and Missouri Bullets) As far as guns,  has a couple of hunney holes. One place charged $20 over his actual cost to order a gun. Often times less than GB. Plus I could work out a trade and lower what I had to pay difference. 

• Like 3

I have used GB many times. No issues ever.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Moe T Vator said:

Are there any other reputable auction and or gun purchase sites? 

Guns America and Guns International. I don’t sell there as their traffic is probably 1% of Gunbroker. 

Edited by John Barleycorn, SASS #76982
  • Like 1

I have never sold anything, but over the years, I have bought a few things on Gunbroker.  The caveat is to know what your personal willing to pay price is, and stick to it.

Bargains?  Hard to find, but not impossible.

"Good prices?"  More often than you would think.

Overpriced to the point of insanity?   Absolutely!   Especially if you look at some of the buy it now prices.

The other online site I have used is gunsinternational.com.   I've found some nice stuff there.   That's a non auction site, so you know what is being asked.

I’ve used GB for about ten years now, both buying and selling, but primarily buying.

I bought all our SKBs on GB, most recently an SKB 100 I bought a few years ago for less than $600 delivered.

Deals can be found, but you have to be patient. I have it run automated search’s every night for SKBs, 1873s and Vaquero’s. I get emails every morning with new listings.

Every now and then I see a deal and it keeps me aware of current prices.

• Like 1

I use it a lot. The completed auctions search is nice for determining gun values. 

Selling I use my local FFL even for non-FFL items.  His fee is reasonable and it is a lot easier to sell an item and it will bring more money, when you have built up a reputation as a seller.

I still use gunbroker to sell.  I just add about 10% to my opening bid over whatever I want to get out of the item.  I always list cowboy stuff here first but 99% of the time move it to gunbroker and it sells for much higher than my original asking price here so the fees that get deducted at the end still result in a net gain.  Also don't have to deal with sass members that are just asking question and making what I would consider low ball offers.  Only issue I have ever had with gunbroker is winning bidders that have poor reading comprehension.  I ship all firearms as an individual with a copy of my DL, this I clearly state in my listing but I still get the occasional buyer that didn't check with their FFL at there end and have to void the transaction.  

Edited by July Smith

11 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I occasionally find a deal on things on Gunbroker.  I just bought two used RCBS lockout dies for $30+shipping.  Non FFL items.   

Thats a good price! They’re usually twice that for one! However, at twice the price they are a bargain compared to getting a squib!

Tommy and I use GB for a reference AND we occasionally find something we are looking for specifically…

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Moe T Vator said:

Are there any other reputable auction and or gun purchase sites? 

Lock Stock and Barrel. Lead Dispencer , Artic Annie, Whispering Wade… Cowboys own/run it. They are GOOD PEOPLE!! 
https://lsbauctions.com/auctions/

Hugs to you, Shannon and the baby! Kiss her for me and tell her Scarlett loves her! 

Scarlett

• Like 1

I've been winding down my collection for a few years now. 95% is sold on GB. I use my local gun dealer who photographs, posts, ships...all I do is drop them off. He gets 20%. Well worth it as I've yet to sell a firearm for less than 50% more than I paid for it. And many have sold for WAY more than I expected. Not as good of an investment than the stock market. But show me any other sport equipment that returns 2-3x(+) what you paid for it after using it for 20+ years.

• Like 1

It IS still possible to score a very good "pre-pandemic priced" firearm on GB. Occasionally though and you have to get lucky but I've done it a couple times.

If there's something you want, just search for it using different search words and sometimes you'll find a gem.

I've sold a lot of guns on GunBroker over the years. Just add 10% over the minimum amount you'll take. Also sold several on Guns International. I'll put higher end antique or hard to get guns there. They are not an auction site so list it for what you want for the gun. Again, I'll add 10% to my bottom price. You'll get emailed offers from customers.

The important thing is to give a very accurate description and a lot of decent pictures on both websites. In the description, I'll always rate the guns condition a little less than what it actually is and give the customer a three day inspection. Between my old and new accounts, I've probably sold 700-800 guns and never had one returned. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

A lot of my sales are through Gunbroker 

And you sir are great to deal with!

• Thanks 1

Learned this secondhand: Pay attention to the details when you're looking at a seller's rating. If you're buying from a private seller, it's possible their high rating/number of reviews is due to purchases and not sales. You can view their profile for details.

• Like 1

I have been using GB from the start .

You have a much much wider range of people then any other place I have ever found .

I sell or traid a lot of my stuff right here on the wire.

But I also buy & sell it on GB if it's something other the Cowboy stuff .

I recommend GB 100%

Rooster