SASS Wire Forum

Howdy All, Soon to be SASS Cowboy

Tooky Slim

Howdy Folks, new cowboy here in Contoocook, New Hampshire. I've attended a shoot in Holderness NH last November, and I'm gearing up to become a member and to start shooting in local matches this summer. I have a lot of my gear already...two 5.5" Uberti Cattleman revolvers in .38/.357, a Henry lever action in .38/.357, a Stoeger Coach Gun in 12ga.

I'm looking to complete my collection with a Uberti or Taylor's 1873 lever action in .38/.357, a two holster right handed rig with left side crossdraw, and possibly/probably a guncart of some sort.

Please and Thank You in advance. I look forward to getting into the action this Spring. My name is Rick, by the way, and I'm a recently retired 64 year old ex-machinist, who always wanted to be a cowboy and now have the time to get into the game.

• Like 9

Welcome 

what you said you already have (gun wise) would make a fine starting set. Personally unless a really great gun deal walked up to you I would focus on my leather and cart. Possibly if you don’t already reload some equipment for that endeavor. 

Also I would suggest shooting a few matches before changing anything. 
After all if your current gear is satisfactory to you, you’re already done and if you haven’t reached the limits of what you have then how would you know what could be better?

Anyway, all the best and again welcome to the game!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

• Like 6

Welcome to the best game and folks goin Rick. Hope to see you this spring in Holderness and Candia. 

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

• Like 1

Gateway Kid hit the nail on the head Shoot with what you have before investing in other guns.  Reloading equipment is a must just a single stage loader will work. As you gain experience you will start to know what you really want/need. That us how I started. Welcome to the funest fantasy shooting in the world!

Butch

• Like 2

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!  As others have said, go to a match. Most clubs can arrange loaner carts and leather or make accommodations for you to go ahead and start shooting.

Randy

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I'll be out there this Spring, and ready to go.

Eyesa, I believe we met in November at the match in Holderness. Nice to see you here, and thanks for the kind words. I'm sure I'll see you in Candia and Holderness when the shootin' season gets going.

• Like 2

Howdy and welcome to the fire!

Ditto what Gateway Kid said, he's one smart cowboy.

Some clubs may have loaner gun carts for a match, but gotta check ahead.  Otherwise some may have racks each stage, or folks willing to share a cart.

Same for the leather, let the MD know what you might need, folks often have extra gear they're willing to loan for a match for new shooters.

Grizz

• Like 3

Welcome  Dont spend any more money until you actually know what you will need. Used guncarts are often available when someone upgrades or gets out of the game. Same for a lot of other gear. Or they can be built very reasonable, a machinist should have all the skills necessary. If you build make it modular, able to be easily taken down to manageable weights. And have fun...

Imis

• Like 2

Welcome to the dance Rick .

You can use your Henry to start with .

Just know it has limits. 

When you can afford to replace the Henry then do so .

God bless .

Rooster 

25 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Put the word out to your local clubs.

IIRC, a 'guest' can post a WTB, here in the Classifieds. 

"can't"
Ads initiated by non-SASS members will be deleted - SASS Wire Classifieds - SASS Wire Forum (sassnet.com)

• Thanks 1

I welded some tubing to make my first folding gun cart. Later I bought a wooden cart for $25. Next up was a $20 baby jogger I adapted. Recently bought a Rugged Gear cart for $60 and added my ammo tray from my jogger. A handful of carts were available within the last month with varying prices. There are options.

Whatever you do leather wise, do not buy cheap leather brand new. It will not hold its shape and you'll end up spending money again. I bought a used Kirkpatrick rig 20 years ago for $150 that is still in good shape. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rick A. said:

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I'll be out there this Spring, and ready to go.

Eyesa, I believe we met in November at the match in Holderness. Nice to see you here, and thanks for the kind words. I'm sure I'll see you in Candia and Holderness when the shootin' season gets going.

I was pretty sure I met you as well! Just couldn't quite put a face to the name! Hope to shoot with you soon. Warmer weather is coming!!

Howdy pard

I’m KingSnake in central Arizona. 
I am also a retired life long machinist. 

• Like 1

I would say, get " Captain Baylor's Big, Bad Book on Cowboy Action Shooting ".  I've been in CAS for 24 years and it has almost all of the information you could need.

Horace

• Like 2

My local club had a collection of old gun carts donated by former members.  We gave some of them away at our recent state match.  One might be available for you in NH for the asking.  As a retired machinist you have the skills to build a serviceable gun cart.  Old baby strollers make good chassis.  Rugged Gear Carts are great but new ones sell for $800+.

If you don't reload start shopping for equipment.  Used presses are durable and available at gun shows and estate sales.  I load with both progressive and single stage presses.  Both are useful.  Shop for once-fired brass now.  You can buy quality once-fired brass on auction sites for ~10-cents a case.  Up to 2,000 can fit in a USPS flat rate box.  We can advise you on what brass to avoid.  Handloaders are at the bottom of the food chain for ammunition components.  Increased armed conflict in the world or civil unrest increases the demand for manufactured ammunition and reloading components dry up for handloaders.  Fortunately, components are available right now though at awful prices.  Now is a good time to stock up on pistol primers and suitable powders.  Cast bullet availability is less affected by shortages as our small-scale casters are not suppliers to major ammunition manufacturers.

Keep the Henry after you buy the '73.  Eventually the '73 will need repair and the Henry can be used to finish a match.  Both my wife and I have had rifles break during major matches both due to fatigued springs that broke.

Edited by Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971
  • Like 1

Hello Again Dudes and Dudettes, I'm now officially a SASS member, with my SASS # added to my profile. However, I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer. How do I go about removing my name from my profile, and add my official cowboy name? I've gone to the "edit profile" page , but the name is the only piece of info that doesn't have a "change" button.

Thanks for all the welcomes, and all the good advice...Thank You All, Tooky Slim

• Like 4

I reported your post to our fine Moderator who'll be able to assist.

• Like 2

Just now, Eyesa Horg said:

I reported your post to our fine Moderator who'll be able to assist.

Thank You Eyesa

58 minutes ago, Rick A. said:

Thank You Eyesa

My understanding is that you need to call one of the lovely ladies in the SASS office for that kind of magic. They are very patient and very helpful. And they will accept pizza deliveries.:D

Howdy and welcome to the game. You've got a good start with firearms. 

On 3/11/2024 at 7:59 PM, Rick A. said:

Hello Again Dudes and Dudettes, I'm now officially a SASS member, with my SASS # added to my profile. However, I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer. How do I go about removing my name from my profile, and add my official cowboy name? I've gone to the "edit profile" page , but the name is the only piece of info that doesn't have a "change" button.

Thanks for all the welcomes, and all the good advice...Thank You All, Tooky Slim

Done.  Welcome Tooky Slim!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

Done.  Welcome Tooky Slim!

Thank You very much...now I'm starting to feel like a real CowboyB)

• Like 4

And welcome from here too!

Looking forward to seeing you on the range soon! This crummy winter should be ending soon! 

Here's a link to all the matches in the New England area, spear headed by Dead Head.

https://www.northeastcas.com/CASdates.htm

welcome , i know im latte to this party but will ditto all you have been told above about getting started with the guns you have they will work fine for now , concentrate on your leather and costumes and such to round out your startup , the reloading equipment will help you tune your game and save you money and time , the cart can be a project or a purchase , mostly put off more guns till you know what you need and want or you could find yourself going thru a lot off money getting to where you want to be , 

Howdy Again Cowpokes/Cowpokettes, I just received my SASS Welcome Kit, and had a good time looking through the goodies. I loved the certificate informing me that " I shall henceforth be known as Tooky Slim". by all you great folks. Also loved the badge and SASS lapel pin. I'm almost ready to get started in my "Cowboy World", as my wife refers to it. :D

Anyway, I'm still in need of some gun leather, and maybe I'm being too particular, but it is an expensive purchase, so I want to do it right the first time. I've had some rigs offered up by a couple of folks here, but they were not quite what I am looking for. One was almost "it", but not quite. I'd like to thank those that offered up their rigs for consideration.

So to get to it, this is the general idea of what I'd like...Dual holsters, with a right hand cross draw, with 38/.357 loops, in a darker brown or mahogany color. I wear size 36/38 waist pants, so about a 44 inch gunbelt, and I'd like the belt and holsters to be suede lined. Not to particular, am I? So if anyone has one like this that they have outgrown or have no use for anymore, I'd love to hear about it, or see some pics...

Thanks for welcoming me in, and reading to the end, Tooky Slim

• Like 2

your not too particular - its what most of us use in leather but yes , it will be an investment so pick wisely , 

i started out with galco leather and still shoot with that mostly , i have a set of elpasso sadlery as well , i shoot both a strong side/cross draw as well as double strong side depending on my mood , ive been at this over 20 years and have what i wanted , all that said there will be a plethora of recommendations coming to this post , there are great mfgrs out there like mernickle and a lot of custom guys that will make to order at all of the ranges i shoot at , i have two leather folks around here that i go to as they do as i ask , its a really personal thing in the end , 

sounds like you know where you want to start , - you can get started on low end with tripple K leather if thats where you want to get started but they may not stand up past a few years use , the big thing here is to get started and evolve into what you want , you can find used leather at gunshows , gunclub flea markets and LGSs just find something to get you by till you know what you want , the bottom line is knowing what you like and what works for you , if you already know invest - its gonna be an investment just like your guns were , 

Look at the Mernickle Starter rig. Great quality and the Starter Rig is dirt cheap for what you are getting.

+1 to Deacon's suggestion. 

I recently bought a Mernickle SASS starter rig as a backup to my  Mernickle HP rig.

Same great quality as their other products.

Choctaw 

• Like 1

Thanks for that info Deacon and Choctaw...I'll look into Mernickle, I actually think I have the website saved in my favorites from a little while back. I forgot about it until I saw it typed out. Seems to happen a lot lately:huh:

• Like 1