SASS Wire Forum

1847 Walker

sarcasmn

I am a big fan of Josey Wales after reading the book.   I am thinking of getting one of the monster Walkers just for fun.   I have a lot of experience shooting and hunting with muzzleloading rifles, both cap and flint lock. 
I do not however have any experience with black powder revolvers.  Is the Uberti replica ok.  I am sure there are members here that shoot black powder and could steer me in the right direction.  Like I said, I doubt I would try to shoot matches with this thing but would like to dip a toe into percussion pistols. 

I have 2, uberti makes awesome guns....only problem I ever had was the front sight fell off of one. The ram rod under the barrel drops if you use full loads but that was a failing common to the original as well. Someone showed me the small rubber bands ,like hair tie type, black, put over the rod and barrel after loading, works like a charm. I have plans on shooting Pale Rider gunfighter with them both one of these days. I'm earing my Wheaties first.

• Like 1

Yeah I know they are a handful.  I love history and these guns have great history.  I want one just because. 

• Like 2

Made belt holsters for several with Walkers or Dragoons. One customer was about 5-feet tall and couldn't have weighed more than 110 lbs. He had virtually no hips. I wonder how he kept his pants up, especially if he sneezed! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

One of the more impressive things I've seen in this sport was when a shooter named Lonesome Charlie Reynolds (now gone) showed up at a black powder shoot with his nephew.

They called themselves "The Boom Brothers" and they both shot gunfighter with Walkers and Dragoons.

It was fun to watch!

And, yes, Uberti makes a very nice Walker.

Had one when I was young & strong.

Too Much Fun!

--Dawg

• Like 2

Keep your off hand away from the cylinder face or anywhere forward.

• Like 1

They are a lot of fun to shoot. I loaded 60 grains of black powder and the boom is awesome . I shoot with a pard, alias is Sam Walker, from Cheyenne, who shoots gunfighter with his conversion cylinder Walkers at the last Hell on Wheels. Fun to watch. Enjoy, DC

• Like 1

You guys are bad for me to talk with. Now I want two walkers to shoot gunfighter with. 

• Like 2

I had a pair for awhile, but dang, are they awful things to carry around all day. 

If you shoot full 60 grain loads, you're going to eventually notice frame deformation start developing just behind the wedge. Without a top strap, the wedge on open top C&B designs bears the full force of the ball slamming into the rifling along with all that pressure behind it.

WalkerGunbelt.thumb.jpg.7d71cb0e863c57ba5c83749a7b61d4ea.jpg

• Like 3

If I shot gunfighter with any sort of Dragoons, I would by necessity have to shoot outlaw category.  Not because it is fun and would look good, I just couldn't hold them both up to eye level. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You better eat your wheaties, they weigh over 9lbs a piece unloaded.

They’re essentially hand held revolving rifles. 

They sure do bark thunderously loud, they’ll  make the mouse fart - powder puffers tuck their tails in shame and envy!

2C212980-3EDB-401C-9B55-3CA61E971440.jpeg

1F2E7F08-F5D7-4BCC-9D9D-91F62B8EEA24.jpeg

• Like 4

I'd opt for Dragoons over Walkers if shooting GF'r. The lack of a loading lever catch on a Walker might cause/will cause problems when the lever drops and ya have two loaded guns out simultaneously.  (Unless there is a trick... and yes, I am aware a Dragoon might/can drop a loading lever too, but my experience with a Walker is about 100% it will...)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I'd opt for Dragoons over Walkers if shooting GF'r. The lack of a loading lever catch on a Walker might cause/will cause problems when the lever drops and ya have two loaded guns out simultaneously.  (Unless there is a trick... and yes, I am aware a Dragoon might/can drop a loading lever too, but my experience with a Walker is about 100% it will...)

I made some leather strips with snaps to hold the loading lever from dropping. Will drop is what does happen. I kept them on my cart until time to cap, too much weight to carry all day. Walkers are beasts to shoot in a match. DC

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Loose Moose said:

They sure do bark thunderously loud, they’ll  make the mouse fart - powder puffers tuck their tails in shame and envy!

That sounded ridiculously heavy, so I weighed one and it looks like a hair under 4 1/2 pounds. Uberti's site says the 1847 is 4.46 pounds.

• Like 2

Howdy Sarcasmn,

I occasionally shoot a .45 Colt converted 3rd model dragoon. When moving from one target to the next you can build up a lot of momentum that can be hard to stop at the next target in addition to finding yourself shooting lower and lower on each succeeding target due to the weight. Still it's a bunch of fun and style points.

I would caution you to consider a later dragoon not just because of the ramming lever dropping. The Walker, like the earlier Patterson, has oval cylinder notches with no tapered lead. To operate reliably, a Walker has to be well set up and timed. On the other hand, if that's a handicap you are willing to accept, go for it. If you do, I'd suggest an '87 shotgun would also be right up your alley. I know as I often shoot one with my dragoon. Great fun and frustration.

Rev. Chase

• Like 2

Funny you would say that.  I have managed to get two 97’s one is a 08 coyote cap and the other was set up by Jimmy Spurs so I think I have two pretty good 97’s. 

Howdy Sarcasmn,

I said '87! I'm sure you are well prepared with the two '97's , but if you are going to go the Walker route you need to get a lever action '87. That way you can overcome any inconvenience that the walker creates in the stage with a true train wreck when you shoot the shotgun portion. In fact, you could actually go for the trifecta by picking up a Colt Lightning repro for your main match rifle. You'll have a blast then.

Rev. Chase

• Haha 5

i have one - its very nice , but im not gonna buy a second to use as main match revolvers - as stated above its a lot of weight to carry around all day - id use the 1860 or my 1851s before the 1847 , and i have those as well , so there you go , 

On 2/14/2024 at 1:24 PM, sarcasmn said:

I am a big fan of Josey Wales after reading the book.   I am thinking of getting one of the monster Walkers just for fun.   I have a lot of experience shooting and hunting with muzzleloading rifles, both cap and flint lock. 
I do not however have any experience with black powder revolvers.  Is the Uberti replica ok.  I am sure there are members here that shoot black powder and could steer me in the right direction.  Like I said, I doubt I would try to shoot matches with this thing but would like to dip a toe into percussion pistols. 

The Dragoon's are so much better guns then the Walker and almost as big .

Easier to hang on too & holster all day .

But still to heavy. 

So Saith The Rooster 

On 2/15/2024 at 4:36 AM, The Loose Moose said:

2C212980-3EDB-401C-9B55-3CA61E971440.jpeg

1F2E7F08-F5D7-4BCC-9D9D-91F62B8EEA24.jpeg

The Walker weighs 4 1/2 lbs. empty. Still plenty heavy to lug around all day.

I read that from 1847 until the 357 magnum came along (@1935) it was THE most powerful handgun in existence.

The loading lever can be a challenge as it drops down sometimes.

I read that the reason the 1st model Dragoon came along soldiers were blowing them up overloading them because of the length of the cylinder.  This and loading conical bullets backwards.

I have had one.  Recently I bought a used ASM 2nd model Dragoon.  It I will never part with.  It’s a moose as well.

I watch for used Walkers on Gunbroker.  Don’t see many.  People get excited and bid em up too high.

Now, soldier On With The Hunt!

When you buy a LaMat know that a Minie Ball fits perfect inside a 20 gauge plastic wad in the shot shell barrel. Snicker

Edited by Come On Christmas
Addition of LeMat Referance.
  • Like 1

Before you try the "road agents spin" with the Walkers like Josey Wales, According to the Article in the latest American Rifleman, he used rubber replicas for that scene.

A friend of mine had an Original Colt Walker. He never shot it. He was offered a lot of cash for it but it was handed down through his Wives family as far as I know he never sold it. Very Cool shootin iron!

Good Luck!