SASS Wire Forum

question for BP shooters

watab kid

do you own multiple cylinders for your revolvers ? [1851/1869] or do you own multiple sets of guns ? 

i had a friend that got me into this game who owned multiple sets of revolvers , and cleaned them all after each match day , then reloaded for the next , ive known a couple people that said they have multiple cylinders [like jesse whales] for their revolvers , 

i recently bought a couple from taylors and have the extra cylinders they are packaging with them , so i now have enough cylinders to shoot a main match with at least one of my 1851s , not that im going to leap into this but thinking on it and thinking on the best approach if i decide to do so , 

• Like 1

When I did shoot JW .

I had Pietta 51's in 44 with Six cylinders for each gun with slick shot nipples in them .

I pre loaded all the cylinders at home with a cylinder press. 

Then you only have to cap at the loading table and your good to go .

It's not a cheap endeavor .

Rooster 

• Like 2

I shoot with 2F Triple 777 either with Pietta 1858 Remington C&B or Uberti 1851 Richard Mason's in .38 Special and I don't use extra cylinders with any of them.

Depending on how many stages I am shooting and how well the guns are working, I MAY take the cylinders out to add more lubrication so that the cylinders continue to rotate freely without binding.

I'm not going to spends hundreds or more on extra cylinders

• Like 2

At one time I had enough cylinders to load up for the entire match for each gun.

Here is what I found:

*I snap 2 caps on each cylinder prior to the first loading, so I was using a tin of caps before I even put a round downrange.

*Yes it was easy & convenient during the shoot just to change cylinders 

*I had to buy high-quality Slix or Treso nipples for 12 cylinders -- a lot of expense just for "easy & convenient"

*I can wipe down the fouled parts of the gun while loading them -- makes 'em shoot better

*At the end of the day, I had to clean 12 cylinders, 2 revolvers, a rifle, and a shotgun -- a lot of extra cleaning just for "easy & convenient"

In the end, it wasn't worth it for me -- I found that using a high-quality off-gun cylinder loader (Mine is a Powder Inc) much cheaper/convenient & I only spend about 5 minutes or so loading both guns at the unloading table, so that's the way I've done it for the last 20 years or so.

That's been my experience

--Dawg

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

At one time I had enough cylinders to load up for the entire match for each gun.

Here is what I found:

*I snap 2 caps on each cylinder prior to the first loading, so I was using a tin of caps before I even put a round downrange.

*I had to buy high-quality Slix or Treso nipples for 12 cylinders -- a lot of expense just for "easy & convenient"

*I can wipe down the fouled parts of the gun while loading them -- makes 'em shoot better

*At the end of the day, I had to clean 12 cylinders, 2 revolvers, a rifle, and a shotgun -- a lot of extra cleaning just for "easy & convenient"

In the end, it wasn't worth it for me -- I found that using a high-quality off-gun cylinder loader (Mine is a Powder Inc) much cheaper/convenient & I only spend about 5 minutes or so loading both guns at the unloading table, so that's the way I've done it for the last 20 years or so.

--Dawg

Don't know if this is good or not, but I've had no issue. I shoot 1860's and after thoroughly cleaning at home, I put a light coat of Eezox in the chambers and wipe the whole gun down. Eezox dried, so I have always skipped the popping a cap. Sometimes I load em the night before the match, sometimes in the morning. Haven't had a misfire yet using 3F real BP. Knock on wood!

I shot C&B for 20 years. 1858's and 1851'. I always loaded after each stage. Either at my gun cart or the while manned the unloading table. Had my guns tuned to wear I could shoot 6 stages and no maintenance. Never ever shot caps on an empty cylinder before shooting the guns.

• Like 2

Never saw the need for extra cylinders.  Much easier to reload between stages.

I no longer fire caps to clear chambers before a match. I use a can of compressed air (Dust-Off or similar brand). The little plastic tube fits inside the nipple and a quick shot of air clears out the flash hole.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, watab kid said:

do you own multiple cylinders for your revolvers ? [1851/1869] or do you own multiple sets of guns ? 

i had a friend that got me into this game who owned multiple sets of revolvers , and cleaned them all after each match day , then reloaded for the next , ive known a couple people that said they have multiple cylinders [like jesse whales] for their revolvers , 

i recently bought a couple from taylors and have the extra cylinders they are packaging with them , so i now have enough cylinders to shoot a main match with at least one of my 1851s , not that im going to leap into this but thinking on it and thinking on the best approach if i decide to do so , 

If you’re on Facebook, Captain George Baylor has just been posting about multiple cylinders and fitting them etc. I think it will be in an upcoming chronicle. His email is captainbaylor@hotmail.com

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 1

13 hours ago, watab kid said:

Yes...multiple pre-loaded percussion cylinders (and cartridge convertors) for both Pietta and Uberti Remington NMA revolvers.
...and, YES, I have multiple pairs of each.

Jessie Whales? ---> Josey Wales.

I use only two per match, no extra cylinders, and I have never snapped a cap on a nipple/empty chamber to clear it. Nipples are removed from the cylinder and cleaned as part of the cleaning process after every match. No need to torque those things down really tight when reinstalling either - just snug 'em up, they aren't coming loose during a match.

• Like 5

Multiple sets of guns or multiple sets of cylinders just means more guns and cylinders to clean.  I find one reliable pair of cap guns and loading the cylinders on the gun the simplest method IMHO.  Because I load my cylinders on the gun with the factory load lever I have always preferred cap guns with proper 7"+ plus length barrels.   

• Like 1

PLUS ONE for THE Prairie Dawg

At one time when I started down the Percussion Road, I had (and still have) enough cylinders to shoot a whole entire TWO day match.  Horse Feathers!!  Atz a whole gob of cleaning and I'm lazy.  TWO cylinders are plenty.  My Main Match Percussion guns are a pair of Pietta 1851 .44 SNUBBIES.  I load between stages on a cylinder loading stand.  I Wipe down the cylinder face, the Arbor and the Barrel Breach between each stage.  That way the guns run free and easy the whole match. I DO run a cap thru each chamber before first match loading.  I also "PIC" each nipple after loading during the match.  My guns are built to be as reliable as any Suppository shooter.  When you shoot Gunfighter with Cap Guns, hiccups and fail to fire cannot be tolerated.  Same same applies to my Pietta .36 Capt. Schaffer 1851 replicas.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

At the end of the day, I had to clean 12 cylinders, ...a lot of extra cleaning just for "easy & convenient"

In the end, it wasn't worth it for me --

Another plus one for PD.  I am a black powder shooter 100% of the time.  I don't break out the cap guns very often because, above all else, I hate to clean the cylinders.  I can't imagine cleaning 12 of the dang things!   

:o    :FlagAm:

• Like 1

I shoot Colt 1851s (2nd Gens), one cylinder per gun... I load on the gun, at home prior to leaving.  Cap at the loading table... The only time I deviated from that I capped empty chambers at stage one to clear nipples... and guess what... had a bit of fission material plug the nipple.  After that, I load all six chambers, cap 5, and shoot the stage, go to the unloading table with my loading kit and recharge the 5 chambers emptied at that stage.  Repeat for up to 12 stages over a 3 day match.  Clean guns at home, at my leisure, been doing it that way since they made Frontiersman.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scarlett said:

If you’re on Facebook, Captain George Baylor has just been posting about multiple cylinders and fitting them etc. I think it will be in an upcoming chronicle. His email is captainbaylor@hotmail.com

Hugs!

Scarlett

thanks , ill look at that 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Yes...multiple pre-loaded percussion cylinders (and cartridge convertors) for both Pietta and Uberti Remington NMA revolvers.
...and, YES, I have multiple pairs of each.

so you use both in the same match ?

or do you do it differently at some than others ? 

Edited by watab kid

In pairs, I could be shooting 51s, 60s or 61s depending on how I feel that day. I do not carry spare cylinders and always charge the cylinders “on the gun”. A dab of grease over the ball and I never have a problem completing a match.

49 minutes ago, watab kid said:

so you use both in the same match ?

or do you do it differently at some than others ? 

I only use one set of matching revolvers with multiple cylinders when shooting Plainsman or Frontiersman.
Carry a spare set (same brand) for backup "just in case".
Most of the extra cylinders are stainless which makes cleanup MUCH easier.

cylinder boxes open sm.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I shot C&B for 20 years. 1858's and 1851'. I always loaded after each stage. Either at my gun cart or the while manned the unloading table. Had my guns tuned to wear I could shoot 6 stages and no maintenance. Never ever shot caps on an empty cylinder before shooting the guns.

What Ike said!!!

I always charged my ‘60s the first time before the day’s shooting and then I’d take over the unloading table when I finished the first stage.  There, I’d pick off any remaining spent caps, wipe down the cylinder face, visually check to see that the nipples are clear, and recharge the cylinders on the gun.

I could check maybe three shooters, and have my guns ready to cap when I got to the next stage loading table. I would do that for every stage.

I built a neat little box with all of my possibles and a stand for loading the pistols.  Made my shooting simple, low maintenance, and enjoyable.

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I only use one set of matching revolvers with multiple cylinders when shooting Plainsman or Frontiersman.
Carry a spare set (same brand) for backup "just in case".
Most of the extra cylinders are stainless which makes cleanup MUCH easier.

cylinder boxes open sm.jpg

ok , that makes sense , seems a big investment but i can see how itwould save a lot of time during the match 

12 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Here is what I found:

--Dawg

That's what I do.  Shoot early in the posse and reload at the unload table with a press and pre-made loads.

If you like owning and cleaning lotsa cylinders, indulge yourself.  If you think you need a lot of pre-loaded cylinders because percussion revolvers can't be recharged quickly, you are either reloading inefficiently or talking too much.  Video proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYDHrO29fwM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

If you like owning and cleaning lotsa cylinders, indulge yourself.  If you think you need a lot of pre-loaded cylinders because percussion revolvers can't be recharged quickly, you are either reloading inefficiently or talking too much.  

FWIW...that is NOT the reason I usually use pre-loaded cylinders when shooting my Remington revolvers. :ph34r:

19 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

FWIW...that is NOT the reason I usually use pre-loaded cylinders when shooting my Remington revolvers. :ph34r:

I really don't care why you use preloaded cylinders, as long as you agree they are not necessary for a Frontiersman to be able to perform posse chores.  I don't mean that to sound snarky, but I'm just tired of listening to Frontiersmen who claim they can't reload and do posse chores.

• Thanks 2

ok m, now your into an area i was thinking might come up - also why i was ;looking at the extra cylinders ive accumulated and starting to think i should shoot BP more or sell off all my extras 

9 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I really don't care why you use preloaded cylinders, as long as you agree they are not necessary for a Frontiersman to be able to perform posse chores.  I don't mean that to sound snarky, but I'm just tired of listening to Frontiersmen who claim they can't reload and do posse chores.

I'll probably take a lot of flack for this but this is my issue with BP shooters with only one cylinder per pistol. While the rest of the posse is loading, unoading, manning the loading & unloading tables, operating the timer, spotting, resetting targets, and picking up brass, the BP pistol shooter with one cylinder per pistol is sitting back at their cart cleaning and reloading their cylinders for the next stage. On a small posse of 12-15 shooters 11 are busy with a job at any one time. Having a couple of folks sitting at their carts every stage on a break gets a little annoying. The pards with multiple cylinders are right there helping out with the posse like everyone else.

Edited by High Spade Mikey Wilson

16 minutes ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

I'll probably take a lot of flack for this but this is my issue with BP shooters with only one cylinder per pistol. While the rest of the posse is loading, unoading, manning the loading & unloading tables, operating the timer, spotting, resetting targets, and picking up brass, the BP pistol shooter with one cylinder per pistol is sitting back at their cart cleaning and reloading their cylinders for the next stage. On a small posse of 12-15 shooters 11 are busy with a job at any one time. Having a couple of folks sitting at their carts every stage on a break gets a little annoying. The pards with multiple cylinders are right there helping out with the posse like everyone else.

You obviously haven’t read my post or those of several others who have explained how it is done!! <_<

In the course of a regular monthly, (read that “small match with ten or twelve posse members”) match, I have worked the unloading table, spotted, run the timer, and or served as Posse Marshal!!

While doing so, I STILL checked and charged my cap ‘n’ ball guns and never held up the show!!

Get your possibles organized and your routine down and you spend little extra time reloading your “single cylinder” guns!!  <_<

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

You obviously haven’t read my post or those of several others who have explained how it is done!! <_<

In the course of a regular monthly, (read that “small match with ten or twelve posse members”) match,

While doing so, I STILL checked and charged my cap ‘n’ ball guns and never held up the show!!

Get your possibles organized and your routine down and you spend little extra time reloading your “single cylinder” guns!!  <_<

+1 to what Blackwater sez

I too,  work the unloading table, spot, run the timer, and/or serve as Posse Marshal!!

--Dawg

Edited by Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

In the course of a regular monthly, (read that “small match with ten or twelve posse members”) match, I have worked the unloading table, spotted, run the timer, and or served as Posse Marshal!!

+2!  I might not be as fast at charging my cylinders as others, but I can usually get it done in 3 or 4 shooters and either stay there, or spot, score or otherwise help out.  The key is being ready to shoot early in the rotation, (another reason why "shoot in order" is problematic). :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

this has been very informative , thanks to all , i may stick with my cartridge SAAs , that way i can take all the time i want reloading at home , 

i expect ill stick to my C&Bs at the local range as i have been so far , 

• Like 1