SASS Wire Forum

And the suspects are.....

Over the past few years while on walks with Custer, we have encountered numerous rabbit carcasses with just the head missing. 

What predator would just take the head and leave the rest of the rabbit untouched?

Around here we have:

• Hawks
  • Owls
  • Foxes
  • Coyotes
  • Bobcats
  • Mountain Lions
  • Feral Cats
  • Martens or weasels
  • Jealous Rabbits?

My neighbor found only a rabbit head one time.

I really wish I could tell the joke I just came up with, but I would be banned for life…

:lol:

42 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Over the past few years while on walks with Custer, we have encountered numerous rabbit carcasses with just the head missing. 

What predator would just take the head and leave the rest of the rabbit untouched?

Around here we have:

• Hawks
  • Owls
  • Foxes
  • Coyotes
  • Bobcats
  • Mountain Lions
  • Feral Cats
  • Martens or weasels
  • Jealous Rabbits?

My neighbor found only a rabbit head one time.

You left off a predator, man.

TM

• Like 1

My neighbor had a cat one time that ONLY bit the head off of mice/rats and left the body in the driveway.

Apparently, the cat either knawed on the head/brain for taste, and/or carried the head to the owners front porch

to show proof of a kill.

Its not ordinary, But some animal behavior is really contrary to some of our beliefs in their crazy personalities.

..........Widder

• Like 1

I suspect aliens and not the ones coming across the border from Mexico

I found a squirrel in the backyard one time. Head was missing and his trunk was tore open and the viscera was gone.

Couldn't have been the dog - she was on a tie out and could not reach. So I presume it was a cat.

I've seen weasels just cut the heads off chickens in multiple and eat nothing. Just kills them for sport I guess.

I’ve got a weasel that visits the shop occasionally and I’ll find rat and mice bodies without heads and I believe it’s the weasels work. I try to get our cat to eat the remains but she won’t. She gave up mousing years ago and when she does catch one she bats it around with her paws a few times and lets it run away. I caught her doing that out in Mrs. Lose greenhouse awhile ago. I told my wife to quit feeding her so she’d start earning her keep again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’m guessing Mrs. Rabbit has had enough of Mr. Rabbit’s romping around. 

Jessica Rabbit isn't bad, she's just drawn that way.....BTW, she was the one caught playing paddy cake.

• Haha 2