SASS Wire Forum

I'm afraid East Coast Filly and I are in need of a little prayer.

Clay Mosby

6 Yrs ago Filly and I rescued this gorgeous 5.5yr old German Shepherd female named Lacey. A diminutive 70lbs firecracker she kept us and our 105lb male GSD on our toes.

Well, about a month or so ago we noticed that she was slowing down. At first we attributed it to her age, after all she was headed towards 12. But it got worse and a week ago we took her in for tests and xrays thinking arthritis. The tests showed arthritis alright, but also some disk disease.

Then around midnight last Friday I got up and discovered her back legs are paralyzed. Back to the vet and the worst possible diagnosis.  The paralysis is permanent with no hope of recovery. We brought her home and for rhe past 24 hrs cried and agonized over what was best for her. At last, this afternoon, Filly and I made the necessary decision. Tomorrow Lacey and I return to the vet where we will say goodbye.

They say you get one special Heart Dog in your life. 6 yrs ago we lost Arlo, my Llewellyn Setter. He was my heart dog. Then we adopted Lacey, and I discovered you can have more than one Heart dog. When Arlo passed I didn't think anything would hurt as much. Turns out I was wrong.

20220330_034004.jpg

Bless you and your family for facing these circumstances with faith, strength and love.

Your fur baby knows you care and will be there for her.

Never easy but facing it together makes it bearable (a little).

Screen is fogging up a bit so prayers up and gotta go. :(:(:(

Respectfully

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

With blurred eyes, we offer our sincere condolences Clay & Filly. Been there too many times ourselves, we believe you made the best choice for Lacey. She will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge. It's very hard and sad to lose our fur kids. Our hearts are with you.

Eyesa & Ellie

God bless you for rescuing Lacey, we've rescued 2 now including our beloved Kimber. They know what you have done for them and are forever grateful.

Prayers & condolences to you & yours. May you find happiness in your memories as time goes on….

Prayers for the both of you. The right decision is very painful. Lacey will be waiting for you.

It’s never easy!  I’m dreading the day when we have to let Jezebel go. 

You both have our sincerest sympathies.

CLAY,

Back in 2015, we faced the same situation with our 5 yr old Yorkie.   He was a jewel.   He loved to fight my

hand under a blanket and seem to never run out of energy.   A couple of expensive surgeries and more

health issues prompted Me and BJ to make the same decision you are faced with.

I held little 'Benji' in my lap during his last moments.   He went quietly to sleep and he suffered no more.

Still miss the little feller.    My wife said she would never want another dog.......... and then ole Bandit comes

along and my wife seem to get a new life in herself.     I no longer exist cause Bandit gets all the attention.

But that's o.k.      All is well again.

A lot of us Wire Pards know what you are going thru because we've experienced it also.

And we will experience it again with our present furry friends.

All we can do is hope and pray you know your decision is the correct one and its the best decision for

Lacey.

..........Widder

Many years ago I asked a Preacher if I would see my dog in heaven.

He said, "If you want them there you will see them."

I've always found great comfort in that.

We've been 4 years without our Percy. The total "heart" dog.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Lacey is now at the bridge being greeted by our past pooches. It was very calm and peaceful. The staff at our vet is very comforting and supportive. 

Filly and I want to thank everyone here in the saloon for their prayers and support. It means a great deal to us. 

Filly and I discussed things and after a few days of remembering her and comforting our male GSD Java, we will begin keeping our eyes and hearts open to finding another female GSD.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

We want to thank everyone again for their kind thoughts and prayers.

After a few tearful days of saying our goodbyes to Lacey, Filly and I began our search for a new furry family member. And so today we would like to introduce everyone to Hannah!  She is a rescue, the shelter guess she is around 4, but Filly and I suspect she might be substantially younger. We've made an appointment with our vet for a check up and will get a more accurate estimate.

She was submitted to the shelter as a stray, but she does show signs of at least minimal training. She is very shy, but showing signs already, after less than 24hrs of quite a sweet playful disposition. Our other GSD, Java, has his nose a wee bit out of joint but for 99% of the time he ignores her.

Our family is full again, and we can remember Lacey with love and happiness as we learn to love and enjoy Hannah.

20231028_121233.jpg

Clay, you and Filly did the right thing for Lacey.  We've seen that with our Shepherds as well.  You will meet again at the Rainbow Bridge.

Congrats on Hannah.  She looks like a beautiful pup.  Wish you many years of happiness together.

Thou'rt wise to rescue Hannah, for all the wonderful reasons you have long known.

Archived