SASS Wire Forum

A Question About Aircraft Design

Subdeacon Joe

I was pondering that the other day, looking at that video on Spitfires (four blade) which also contain pictures of gooney birds (three blade).  And in an online story I was reading they have the Pilatus, which is a single engine turbo prop, five blade.

aircraft-turboprops-pilatus-pc-12-ng-360

As I remember from back when I did model aeroplanes, the more blades the less efficient is the propeller. You just chose more blades for less diameter to get ground clearance if you don't want to have a super hight alighting gear.

Umber of blades is determined by power of the engine and the clearance available for the blades tip Path. The propellers efficiency decreases as the number of blades increases, but ground clearance (that's why the F4-U has bent wings ) or fuselage clearance  can limit blade length so more blades are added to use the available power.

1 hour ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

The propellers efficiency decreases as the number of blades increases, but ground clearance (that's why the F4-U has bent wings )

And why the P-47 had gear that extended as they deployed.

1 hour ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Umber of blades is determined by power of the engine and the clearance available for the blades tip Path. The propellers efficiency decreases as the number of blades increases, but ground clearance (that's why the F4-U has bent wings ) or fuselage clearance  can limit blade length so more blades are added to use the available power.

I believe I'v seen F4-Us with three blades and later versions with four.  I seem to remember something about the four bladed ones having more powerful engines.

Showing my age a bit, but I recall the Spitfire Mark 1s were a two blade version, while succeeding Marks had three and eventually four blade props as Rolls Royce developed better engines.

Loved that Spit 9

28 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Showing my age a bit, but I recall the Spitfire Mark 1s were a two blade version, while succeeding Marks had three and eventually four blade props as Rolls Royce developed better engines.

Loved that Spit 9

Yup. The earliest were fixed pitch and made of wood. Variable pitch were added shortly. 

The theory that the # of blades reduces efficiency is  true however the drop in efficiency can be more than offset by the ability to make use of a more powerful engine.

Engineers testing eight-blade prop for C-130

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/23009/what-are-the-advantages-of-more-than-4-propeller-blades

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, it's slightly more complex than "efficiency."  Yes, a two blade propeller is more efficient as it's traveling thru undisturbed air.  However, the real question determining the number of blades, is "thrust."  Increasing the number of blades increases the amount of available thrust.  That thrust is what propels the aircraft forward.  And there is an entire book about Propeller length (arc) vs cord vs pitch vs angle of attack.  And, of course, it takes more power to effectively turn bigger propellers with more blades.  As an example, we have the B-29.  Enormous horsepower, yet to turn it's enormous propellers effectively, the engine/propeller interface required a gearbox to increase torque.

Contra rotating propellers are a whole different ball game.

Remembering, the desired result is Thrust. 

What Colorado Coffinmaker said. Thrust is king. Efficiency is well down the hierarchy.

Now ponder helicopter rotor heads. Why does the ubiquitous Huey have two rotors, the OH-6 Loach have four, but the Hughes 500, it’s civilian counterpart, have five blades?

4 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

What Colorado Coffinmaker said. Thrust is king. Efficiency is well down the hierarchy.

Now ponder helicopter rotor heads. Why does the ubiquitous Huey have two rotors, the OH-6 Loach have four, but the Hughes 500, it’s civilian counterpart, have five blades?

....... maybe the Hughes is just greedy ....  :mellow:

It must be considered, Like the Ubiquitous Bumble Bee, Helicopters are unable to actually fly.  They just beat the atmosphere into submission.  And when the "loud" part get real quiet, they become metallic "rocks."  

27 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

It must be considered, Like the Ubiquitous Bumble Bee, Helicopters are unable to actually fly.  They just beat the atmosphere into submission.  And when the "loud" part get real quiet, they become metallic "rocks."  

Not so!  Those loose assemblages of oil leaks are so ugly the Earth repels them!

I had two buddies that were aerospace engineers with a hobby of building homemade custom airplanes. Those two gave me lesson on propeller dynamics one day at lunch that gave me a headache. During my lesson (lunch) there was a table full of guys next to us that never said a word to each other. They just ate lunch. As we were finishing up I started thinking these two were BS’ing me when the guys at the next table complimented my two buddies on their grasp of propeller design and dynamics. Then a new discussion began. I left. Those 2 didn’t show back up to work that Friday afternoon. 
On Monday I asked what happened. These two spent the afternoon drinking and talking with that table full of Northrop Grumman guys. 
All of them were into airframe design and their hobbies revolved around propeller driven airplanes. 
My one buddy had a room full of books on airplane design. One wall was all books on propellers and their design. 

OOPS!!  I neglected to include, with all of the above, the biggest driving consideration in propeller design, is the GROSS design weight of the aircraft.  Propellers are designed to be able to move an aircraft at gross weight at the design'd airspeed and to be able to CLIMB.

In WWII Europe, if a Luftwaffe pilot wanted to "extend" and run from a fight, he just climbed away from allied fighters.  Until . . . . that big herky prop on the front of the P47 was redesigned.  Our pilots stated, with the "new" propeller no FW 190 was able to climb away again (dead meat) as the descriptive.

1 hour ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

i guess , if , you were the have enough engine , you could get a Gray Hound bus to fly 

CB :wacko:

I do believe they call it the space shuttle!

Archived