SASS Wire Forum

Who likes suppressors?

Vail Vigilante

My first can is a SilencerCo Hybrid 46. I paid for it last November. I still don’t have it. I was at the end of the paper submissions. The eforms go faster. I’m wondering now if I should pony up for suppressor number 2 on eforms on the chance that suppressor number 2 will beat number one.  I’ve been working with Silencer Central. It’s out of their hands at this point. I’ve been holding off on calling the ATF but I might. A friend had his van in 7 months.  I was not as lucky. Then when my eforms form 1s got done I was thinking the 46 would slip in there because they don’t have a issue with me on principle. 

I have a 308 can that I use on my 300 blackout AR. I also use it on a couple of my 22s. Subsonic ammo tends to be a little more expensive and for the 300 can be harder to find sometimes.

Now that I live in the USA again I am considering a suppressor for my Kel-Tec CP33. I have decided to wait until next summer as I plan to buy a home and may end up in Pennsylvania. I am not sure about the regs on moving state to state and suppressors / silencers. I need to look into this. PA dies allow them. 

Yesterday I was at my indoor range and the guy in the next lane was firing an AR-15 with a suppressor. At first I thought someone was shooting a 12 gauge with black powder loads but there was no smoke. It sounded like more of a “thump”. It sure wasn’t the Hollywood “silencer” sound we all know and love. 
I was wearing double hearing protection, but I wasn’t about to pull my muffs off and listen as there were other guns going off in the range. 
It sure was a lot nicer than that annoyingly loud “CRACK” with concussion that ARs produce in 5.56 & .223. I often wonder if that is my bias against them. I hate the sound of them even with hearing protection. 

Sorry…going off into the weeds. 

I will follow this thread with interest. Thank you. 

Pat, you ever heard a subsonic 300 Blackout suppressed?

I thought not.

No one can. :D

Those ARE darn near "Hollywood" quiet.

I understand the Swiss consider it very bad manners to NOT use a suppressor.
On the other side of the salt water pond, they're an over-the-counter accessory, no NFA required.

I guess they regard them the same as they call them ...

... mufflers!

Easily made if you have the tools and the proper licensing.

I had suppressors made locally, for our Tactical Team to fit on our H&K MP5s etc.

That worked as well as the factory suppressed versions, because we could easily take them apart and clean them when they got coked up with residue and started getting noisy.

I've been considering one for a while.  I keep a S&W Model 60 (with .38 specials) under one of my pillows but I think I would probably go deaf if I had to use it in the middle of the night.  Of course, you can't suppress the danged thing so I'd have to go with a racked and ready semi auto.  But which one? I own several double action   self loaders and three have decockers but none have a threaded barrel.   Also a suppressor would add quite a bit of length and bulk to the weapon rendering kind of awkward in an emergency situation.  Still looking, though.

I bought a 30 cal. suppressor from Silencer Central a year ago.  The submission was  electronic which is supposed to be faster, NOT.  Still getting monthly email from Silencer Central stating still in ATF's court.  Bought it for a 300BO AR.

Everybody likes suppressors…except the government.

Picked up my second one yesterday.  SilencerCo Omega 300.  Going on my Ruger Scout Rifle.  Going to pick up another ASR muzzle brake or two for use with an AR or two.  

• 3 months later...

Update...

My suppressor (Hybrid 46) has arrived and I wish I had gotten one sooner.

Really makes a difference. So far have tried it on 308 (AR10) and supersonic 300 Blackout. Both direct thread.

This weekend we see what it can do for the 338 Lapua Magnum. This is the first outing with the ASR brake.

Eventually many of the rifles will have ASR brakes.

ASR = Active Spring Retention.

All the ASR brakes have the same thread pitch, so you never have the wrong direct thread insert.

Im thinking about getting a smaller diameter suppressor for the handguns.

But while I wait the Hybrid 46 can fill that role.

Looking at a Gemtech, locally, and also a Silencerco Octane 45.

My LGS has about 20 people still waiting. He said it'll probably take 6 months or more!:(

On 10/23/2022 at 7:14 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Everybody likes suppressors…except the government.

They should like them since they get $200 every time one is transferred just for giving it their blessing 

I considered one for my .300 Wby mag. It is my primary elk rifle and a suppressor would be nice while I am hunting. But with all the ATF BS and only using it a few times a year, I decided against it.

On 10/21/2022 at 2:17 PM, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

I understand the Swiss consider it very bad manners to NOT use a suppressor.
On the other side of the salt water pond, they're an over-the-counter accessory, no NFA required.

I guess they regard them the same as they call them ...

... mufflers!

I don't know about the Swiss, but in Sweden and Norway they are required for hunting either by law or custom. The idea being that people out in the woods or rural areas shouldn't have to hear a lot of gunfire in hunting season.

On the other hand, in Belgium you'll go to prison if you own one. Laws vary, and not just here in the US.

On 10/23/2022 at 3:30 PM, J.D. Daily said:

I bought a 30 cal. suppressor from Silencer Central a year ago.  The submission was  electronic which is supposed to be faster, NOT.  Still getting monthly email from Silencer Central stating still in ATF's court.  Bought it for a 300BO AR.

The ATF approved in middle of Nov.  It was shipped to me on Nov. 30th after the county sheriff approved.  It has been too cold for me to spend a lot of time outside to try.  I have a 30 cal & 223 mounts for it.

Okay, question here. If you have a .30 caliber suppressor, could it be used on both a .30 rifle and a .30 pistol? Is there any legalities on switching between long guns and hand guns?

Legally, they don't care what you put it on. It is silencer itself that is the registered item.

Physically, a can big enough to actually quiet something like a 30-06 or maybe a 300 win Mag - you go to put that on an AMT Automag II 30 carbine? Well, it should quiet it. But it's going to be awful damn large and bulky on that pistol.

Archived