SASS Wire Forum

Guntards: my new term for certain types of gun people

Pat Riot

Guntard: 

Gun guy or gal that has learned everything he or she knows from magazines and online forums and has no practical experience, yet speaks with authority on any given firearms subject. 

There is a young guy on another forum (not SASS related) that literally gives people advice and recommendations on guns, gun safety, self defense, opinions of what guns to buy and what not to buy. The kid truly angers me. He literally bought his one and only gun, Ruger Wrangler, a few months ago but has been on this forum for a couple of years. Why the Mods allow this is beyond me. 

Anyone else have a term for certain types of “gun” people?

I ran into a couple over the years as well. 

Talked a good game until you actually got to know them or invited them out for a range day or a day of bird hunting.

27 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yes, I use a term for certain types of "gun" people. People who claim to support the 2nd Amendment, gun rights organizations, own guns...but yet refuse to vote, or worse, vote for anti-gun politicians. I call those people IDIOTS.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Guntard: 

Gun guy or gal that has learned everything he or she knows from magazines and online forums and has no practical experience, yet speaks with authority on any given firearms subject.

It won't take long for them to say something that is obviously and factually incorrect. When they do, lay into them without mercy. :)

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

It won't take long for them to say something that is obviously and factually incorrect. When they do, lay into them without mercy. :)

Oh, I have. 

I mostly call them what they are.  POSERS!!!

They’re everywhere in the social media world!!

Set ‘em out whenever and wherever you find them!!  They’re often dangerous because they shovel out misinformation that can hurt others who don’t know they’ve listened to an ignorant idiot!!

On 9/6/2022 at 8:04 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Guntard: 

There is a young guy on another forum (not SASS related) that literally gives people advice and recommendations on guns, gun safety, self defense, opinions of what guns to buy and what not to buy. The kid truly angers me. He literally bought his one and only gun, Ruger Wrangler, a few months ago but has been on this forum for a couple of years. Why the Mods allow this is beyond me. 

We had someone almost exactly like that on another forum. Inexperienced, yet full of strong opinions that had to have come from stuff he read rather than experience, and I think his only handgun was a Wrangler IIRC. He hasn't posted in almost a year - he had a big blowup about training methods where a number of people called him out on his BS.

I think Guntard is a suitable term for such people.

Sometimes when you run across these people  what they say is so ridiculous that you just listen and don't bother to call them out on it.  Then you can just hear them telling their friends, "those people believed every word I said".  Some of them must actually believe what they are spewing while others know they are BSing.

What irks me is when some newbie comes on and asks a legit question about purchasing a firearm and asks about 2 or 3 or more different guns and then the Guntard gets in there and starts giving authoritative advice. It just frosts me. 

22 hours ago, Possum Stu said:

We had someone almost exactly like that on another forum. Inexperienced, yet full of strong opinions that had to have come from stuff he read rather than experience, and I think his only handgun was a Wrangler IIRC. He hasn't posted in almost a year - he had a big blowup about training methods where a number of people called him out on his BS.

I think Guntard is a suitable term for such people.

I think we may be talking about the same guy. THR?

On 9/6/2022 at 7:04 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Guntard: 

Pat, I couldn't agree more. Some people become overnight experts on EVERYTHING.

Rode my 1946 Indian motocycle (Yes, Indian called their bikes "Motocycles") to a local biker hangout. The M/C "expert" eventually came by and started badmouthing my Indian by stating that the new (early 2000's) Indians were not nearly as good as the originals. I was sitting close by and he did not know I owned it. After he went on telling his buddies about all of the bad features, I casually mentioned to him that the bike he was complaining about was an original 1946 Indian.

He immediately shut up and left the establishment.:P

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What irks me is when some newbie comes on and asks a legit question about purchasing a firearm and asks about 2 or 3 or more different guns and then the Guntard gets in there and starts giving authoritative advice. It just frosts me. 

I think we may be talking about the same guy. THR?

I thought so too, but this was on BushcraftUSA. Maybe he moved on to THR?

2 hours ago, Possum Stu said:

I thought so too, but this was on BushcraftUSA. Maybe he moved on to THR?

Could be. He was gone for a while and I think someone fed him his lunch and sent him packin’, but I noticed he returned recently. 

20 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Could be. He was gone for a while and I think someone fed him his lunch and sent him packin’, but I noticed he returned recently. 

Does he start multiple posts with arbitrary limitations ("If you can only have a pistol, rifle, and shotgun, what would your choices be?" etc) and insist that single action revolvers are great for self-defense?

On 9/6/2022 at 8:04 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Guntard: 

I really like "guntard"...would you be offended if I used it from time-to-time?

I think perhaps the only area where there are as many know-nothing keyboard warriors would be motorcycling. Incredible how many folks believe and perpetuate myths about riding...

55 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Just curious... how many of you have heard of the legend of Gecko45?

I read most of the stuff he posted. One of the funniest was  him talking about wearing a plate carrier on his back. The idea, he said, was that while he or his girlfriend were reloading his rifle he would be able to absorb hits from a .308 rifle. That was plan A. Another poster asked what plan B was. The whole post was really entertaining. 

57 minutes ago, Noah Mercy, SASS #29066 said:

I really like "guntard"...would you be offended if I used it from time-to-time?

I think perhaps the only area where there are as many know-nothing keyboard warriors would be motorcycling. Incredible how many folks believe and perpetuate myths about riding...

Nope. Feel free. :)

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Just curious... how many of you have heard of the legend of Gecko45?

Haven’t heard of that one. What forum?

17 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Haven’t heard of that one. What forum?

He was the origin of the term "Mall Ninja". A poster on Internet forums back in the early 2000s who bragged he was armed security at a local shopping mall. Claimed to be a weapons expert and a master in the art of Ninjutsu.

https://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

Some years ago, I had a customer come in to have his rifle/scope bore-sighted. I set it in the gun vise and he said, "I'm getting inch and a half groups with it, but I think I can get a little better if I have it bore sighted". :wacko:

I had another guy call and ask if we had 7mm ammo. 

"Yes sir, we have a lot of 7mm - what are you looking for?"

"7mm ammo, I just said that."

"Yes, but what cartridge - 7mm Remington magnum, 7x57, 7mm Weatherby, 7mm WSM, 7mm -08..."

"I just need regular 7mm's."

"What does it say on the barrel?"

"It's not here, it's over at my dad's house - c'mon man, don't you just have regular 7mm's?"

"Yes sir, come on in and we'll fix you up."

I punched out and went home - I don't know that they eventually sold him. 

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

He was the origin of the term "Mall Ninja". A poster on Internet forums back in the early 2000s who bragged he was armed security at a local shopping mall. Claimed to be a weapons expert and a master in the art of Ninjutsu.

https://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

Holy Cow is that hilarious! Thank you! :lol:
I now know where the Mall Ninja thing got started. This guy and his buddy “SPECOPS”, probably both the same guy, are definitely “special”. Or I should say were. I wonder what happened to him? 

Thank you again. I saved that website as a “favorite” for future chuckles. I only read 2/3 of the page. Gotta save some for later. 

Archived