SASS Wire Forum

Will 44-40 load and shoot in a 45 LC rifle & pistol?

F. Greysmoke ,#12093

The .44-40 bullet diameter is .427 - .430 in diameter.  The .45 bore is .452 diameter.  So if it did cycle and fire, the bullet would rattle down the barrel and not engage the grooves.   Your accuracy would be awful.   There are those who say "its good enough for CAS".  Well no, not really.

But it's a dandy reason to buy some more guns!! :lol:

2 hours ago, F. Greysmoke ,#12093 said:

Howdy pards,

A sass friend of mine passed and he has some bp loaded 44-40. Will it chamber in my 45 LC rifles and pistols? I know accuracy will be bad but just to plink with and I would think it would be safe.

Thanks.

My first thought was "Why don't you trade the 44-40 for 45?  Then you don't have to worry about any rifling damage as McCandless points out.

My second was "Well I wouldn't trade for, let alone shoot ammo from an unknown source.

My final thought "Your gun, your fingers and face, shoot what you want.  But if I'm beside you please let me know so I can move a safe distance away from y'all.

Short answer....yes

Long answer....NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

:(

Some .45 Colt shooters would do it on purpose, trying to fireform the .44 cases to .45 dimensions.  Then they can reload them as .45's with BP and the thinner .44-40 brass expands to seal the chamber better than 45 Colt brass.   Some of the brass might split, but pressures will be low so easy on the gun.  

I once loaded 44 specials in a .45 Colt and the brass bulged but hit the target 5 times.  Accuracy will not be "too good" but probably no worse than shooting regular .357 bullets in a Kirst-converted .36 caliber without lining the barrel (I haven't missed with that combination in 4 matches).

1 hour ago, Caladisi kid said:

Short answer....yes

Long answer....NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

:(

I feel the same way, though I am shooting .44 Russian in revolvers chambered for .44 Special.

The bullets would probably come out of the barrel with a bit of rattling and start tumbling way too soon, but they would most likely come out; And the brass probably would not split -- at least not on every shot -- though I hope it would not then be sold as "once-fired reloadable."

But then, in the vein of @Sammy Jack, run a few rounds (at your risk). Then you might decide to buy something chambered in 44-40, maybe a rifle like mine.

It won't hurt the gun. It will not be accurate at distances much greater than CAS. There is no danger involved. You will get less blowback from the 44/40 ammo than you will from 45 colt ammo, the case is thinner and will seal the chamber better. Several pards have done this to fireform cases so the 44/40 cases can be used in a 45 colt. Same way a 30/30 is fireformed to make a 38/55 case.

kR

DON'T DO IT!!  Trade it to someone or sell it. Don't bother firing it, you'll be disappointed and ruin good ammo. 

"I feel the same way, though I am shooting .44 Russian in revolvers chambered for .44 Special." - John Kloehr.

NOT the same thing.  The .44 Special and .44 Magnum have the same base diameter as the .44 Russian, differing only in the length of the case.  Same with .38 Spl and .357 Mangle-em or .22 Short RF, .22 Long and .22 Long Rifle.  All are basically straight cases.  But .44-40 is slightly smaller at the base and is bottlenecked, whereas the ..45LC is relatively straight.  Get away with shooting .44-40's in a .45 LC? Yeah, but it isn't the best practice.  There are probably a bunch of .44-40 shooters who would love to get those rounds. (Sorry, not me.  I've got 500+ pieces of brass on my loading bench I haven't had time to load.)

Best of luck. Stay well and safe!

I'm not a big fan of running 44-40 with 44 bullets thru a 45 Rifle.  44 Bullet will just rattle down the bore, give you some leading and perhaps some blow-by.  The 44-40 brass will also expand kinda funny and perhaps split.  All this covered above.  There is no danger, real for imagined.

On the other hand, I DO run 44-40 Brass thru my 45 Colt dies (carefully) and reload as 45 Colt.  Come out really funny looking.  Kinda wonky if you will.  Cases expand nicely to seal the chamber and eliminate Blow-By and fire form to really efficient 45 Colt.  You wind up with a really clean running 45 rifle.  Especially with BP or Sub (APP).  YMMV

In order to get leading the bullet has to be almost big enough to fill the grooves in the bore with the difference between the 44/40 bullet (.427 to .429) versus the 45 Colt bullet (.452) you are not going to have any significant contact between the bullet and the barrel, it may melt or soften the bullet a little but you are not going to deposit lead on the barrel in any significant amount.

kR

Archived