SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bgavin

Pros and Cons: Henry Big Boy vs Marlin 1894CB in 44 Mag

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Mine started with a 20 gauge and quickly went to a 12 gauge w/ BP loads. Hard to find factory low recoil rounds for the 20 gauge.

A 12 gauge Baikal single trigger is pretty light(if you can find one). Use BP or sub and cut short to fit can be very comfortable for children and ladies.

I have a really nice Browning BSS I was considering selling, but I think I will instead cut the barrels and save that for the boy. He's got nicer holsters than me, so why not nicer guns?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I have a really nice Browning BSS I was considering selling, but I think I will instead cut the barrels and save that for the boy. He's got nicer holsters than me, so why not nicer guns?

He's probably better look'n than you too :P

OP-When you see the price of 410 ammo.

You'll go with either 20 or 12ga.

OLG 

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz

18 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

He's probably better look'n than you too :P

OP-When you see the price of 410 ammo.

You'll go with either 20 or 12ga.

OLG 

Without a doubt. That's not even a close one for debate. Fortunately, he got his looks from his mother.

I live in California, as you well know, so no buying ammo for me. I have to reload it all anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I live in California, as you well know, so no buying ammo for me. I have to reload it all anyway.

Same for me.
By the time the 44s get out of CA waiting periods, I will be ready to reload 'em.
Starting out with some Starline #4400 Russian in mouse fart loads.

I use lightly loaded 20 gauge doubles for Scout CAS. They have less recoil than the .410s. I only have one 20 gauge double. I use that for newbies with my .38s.

I ordered some brass .410 shells and plan to lightly load them for the kids. I hope that works out.

Just today I watched a video by Hickok 45 reviewing the HBB in .357/.38spl.  Since I never shot one I can't give a first hand critique, but just watching the video it looked to have problems with ejecting spent rounds.  Here it is

I can speak about the .44 Marlin having owned and used one in CAS from 2001-07; still use it for Wild Bunch. Switched to .38 in CAS and started using a Codymatic 73. The Marlin has been worked on (not short stroked) by Mid-Maryland and is not quite as fast as the 73, but equally reliable. Use medium cowboy loads of Trail Boss under a 200 gr. LRFP. Had one issue with the "Marlin Jam" afterabout 10 years which was quickly fixed with a new carrier. Had the old one repaired by one of smiths on the wire and have it for a backup. Just remember to keep all the screws tight and the Marlin is like a Timex, just keeps on ticking. As it's a JM made gun, can always get way more than I paid for it. Was thinking about a Uberti 73 in .44 but only shoot about six Wild Bunch matches a year.

I am one of the few individuals who has had issues with a Henry .22 and got rid of it when I found a Marlin "B" prefix Model 39 made in 1941 for the same price as a Henry .22. Don't know about the .44 Henry's, but the .22's internals appear to me to be a low-cost design and very difficult to service.

I use a Henry Original at some matches. It works just fine and is historically correct, which is important if you compete in NCOWS. I know of one shooter that used the Henry Big Boy and the one issue that he has was when he lost his grip on the magazine rod and it almost shot out onto the range. Luckily a screen stopped it.

I load my own shotgun ammo using brass shells in .410, 28, 20, 16, 12, 10 and 8. That way, I control the loads, recoil and shotsize. :)

I found that even low recoil 20s kick and the .410s bring "owies". The tens and the 8 recoil is "memorable"!  :P

For kids, I lightly load .410s and 20s.  :wub:

I shot 1 1/2 stages of my very first SASS match in November of 2012 with a Henry Big Boy. It jammed, & Arizona Ranger loaned me a 73 to finish the match. The Big Boy is beautiful as best I can remember. It's been in the back of the gun safe since then.

The Henry Big Boy is a nice rifle, but not the best choice for Cowboy Action Shooting.  The Marlin is a much better choice, for this game.  Smart to ask; pay heed to the information provided.

Cheers,

FJT

• Like 2

Another Option for Buckeretts and Buckeroos is a S X S in 28 ga.

With the "Right" size frame they are light and responsive and kick less with a 5/8 oz. load that a .410 with the same shot weight ...

Now I shouldn't have said that as ,,,,,,, a 28 ga. double is a Favorite of mine, for up-land game ....

Jabez Cowboy

I am not aware of an inexpensive 28 double.  :angry:  Factory ammo is also a tad dear.

I bought a 28 semi auto for my spouse. That was her very first gun. She, like most girls of my acquaintance, was a "meat" hunter. That little thing accounted for a ton of pheasants and quail.  :)