SASS Wire Forum

SS Card Denied

Yul Lose

With the power being down yesterday I almost decided not to go to my DMV Real ID appointment that I had made 6 weeks ago. I wasn’t real sure if they’d be open if their power was down. They were open and I got in line about 40 minutes before my appointment and when I finally got up to the counter and presented my DL, Passport, SS card and two other forms of ID (water bill, electric bill) with my name and physical address on them the clerk asked where my SS card was. Right there I said. He says “Laminated SS cards aren’t acceptable”. I told him that it didn’t say anything about that on the acceptable ID section on the website. It didn’t matter and he told me I had to come back with a non laminated card if that’s what I was going to use. I asked for a supervisor and he told me the same thing. My Medicare card that I tried to use in its place is not an acceptable form of ID either. So I went home and found an unlaminated card in our file in the safe and will make another appointment. What a day.

2 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Appointment?  At the DMV?  

That's enough to keep me out of California.  

Even with the appointment I still stood in the line with all those without appointments. 

My DMV you just walk in and usually the only person there. Just bring in the paper work sent by the state. Since I'm a disabled vet don't even pay anything.

If I had to make an appointment for the DMV I'd find another place to live. Yul, get out while you can.

There's nothing worth all that stress. I drive 13 miles to work and it takes me 13 minutes, and that's driving on the Interstate around Wyoming's most populated city.

There's a house on 279 acres just up the road from my house for $750,000 . 

Appointments at CA DMV are a  joke. People just walk in and sign the appt doc and they call people in order.

I get faster "service" just by walking  in. 

I will admit that CA DMVs are way better than they were 20 years ago. Twenty years  ago people would get so mad that it seemed like at least once a month we heard of people driving their cars into the DMV buildings in various locations  across the state.all over the state.

Laminated SS cards have always been a no no as far as I can remember.

Here in Tucson, I went to get my upgraded driver's license and they wouldn't accept my Social Security card either.  My SS card is from the 1960's and has printed on it "Not for Identification."  I told the fellow that no SS card is valid for identification.  Didn't matter.  I had come back a couple of days later with a tax return that had my SS number on it. 

They accepted my wife's SS card because it didn't have "Not for Identification" printed on it.  Go figure???

Years ago, someone threw a hand grenade through one of the big glass windows at the San Luis Obispo, California DMV office on South Higyera Street.  The office was closed at the time, and then, closed for repairs for about a week.

I don’t think too many people were upset.

Yul, you should be able to go back in there and they should honor your appointment and put you first in line.

Cat Brules

2 hours ago, Assassin said:

Yul, get out while you can.

No.  You guys need to stay where you are and put up a fight. Every one that gives up and moves out just add strength to the stupidity.  

And please don't Californicate Wyoming!   

2 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Appointment?  At the DMV?  

That's enough to keep me out of California.  

You aren't required to have an appointment. It is supposed to speed up the process. However, many times, like Yul's it does not.

When they first implemented it, in the '90s, I made one and they had no record of it. However, they took me immediately.

6 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

So, I thought I'd wait until then to get Real ID.

Wow, I live in the boondocks of north Florida and had to google Real ID to see what you all were talking about. I'm pretty sure our Florida driver's licenses are Real ID compliant, but I guess I better make sure before I try and get on a plane next October. You'd think my CCW card would be an acceptable form of ID ^_^.

39 minutes ago, Colonel Kraken said:

Wow, I live in the boondocks of north Florida and had to google Real ID to see what you all were talking about. I'm pretty sure our Florida driver's licenses are Real ID compliant, but I guess I better make sure before I try and get on a plane next October. You'd think my CCW card would be an acceptable form of ID ^_^.

Look in the upper right hand corner of your license. If there’s a star, it’s Real ID compliant. Depends on when you renewed your license. Mine is good to go because I renewed it recently with the required documents, but my wife needs to renew hers to make it compliant.

1 minute ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

my wife got her "real"id a few months back.  They accepted her laminated SS card.  I have heard many other stories of both rejections and accepted laminated cards.  I think it depends on how bad of a day the DMV Zombie has had.

The Feds won’t accept a laminated card for some reason. Locals might or might not.

Just checked Alabama's website concerning the new ID.  

Much to my horror, sex offender registration is an acceptable document for proving registration :( 

11 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Just checked Alabama's website concerning the new ID.  

Much to my horror, sex offender registration is an acceptable document for proving registration :( 

I don’t have a problem with that as long as the stamp SEX OFFENDER all over the license. ;)

Here's a tidbit on the "Real ID." The wife had to get hers this year but  DMV wouldn't accept her "Certificate of live birth" from an Indiana hospital so we had to get a copy of her actual birth certificate. While getting it I asked the lady behind the counter just how a certificate of live birth could vet Obama to be President for 8 years but wasn't good enough to get a simple drivers license. You know the old saying, "If looks could kill?" Yup, nuff said.

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

If you think American bureaucracy is bad, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

My card has been laminated since March of 1960 when I got it.

It's NEVER been questioned.  Not by the Army, the Marine Corps, four federal jobs, the California justice (?) system where I qualified for a number of juries, or the lady at J. C. Pennys where I got my first credit card in 1960.

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

No.  You guys need to stay where you are and put up a fight. Every one that gives up and moves out just add strength to the stupidity.  

Isn't that what they told Custer.

Had a similar issue getting my new license. Two trips as I found out on arrival my original birth certificate was not acceptable. Really? Went home and found an old photo copied one and they were happy. My SS card was signed when I was a little kid and they had no issue with that old tattered piece of paper with a signature that had no resemblance to mine now. I guess scammers must steal real birth certificates as compared to anyone walking into a town hall and getting a copy! But, jump the fence and we'll give you ID no questions asked.:angry:

9 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I put in forty years in California fighting for what turned out to be a lost cause.  I was called a coward (not to my face) and a quiter, a closet liberal, and a lot of other names.

All I have to say if you're stuck there I don't want to hear about your troubles. There are ways out, some mot pleasant but they beat staying there.

If any of you folks think some one should continue fighting a battle like that, YOU should move there. Most of you wouldn't last a year, maybe less.

Archived