SASS Wire Forum

Coyotes and humans

Trailrider #896

A little girl in suburban Chicago was in her yard when a coyote came running at her! She turned and ran toward her porch. The coyote chased after her, brushing her with its fur, but apparently not injuring her.  :o  Ol' Wiley has become very adaptable to being around humans.  I've told this before, but a few years back, in suburban Denver, is was driving in my car and came to a large intersection, with traffic lights.  On one corner sits Wiley.  The light is red.  He waits until the light changes to green, gets up and trots across the street!  Genetically, coyotes are so close to domestic dogs that they can interbreed!  Don't know if the offspring can reproduce or not. :unsure:

Only place I've seen them around here on the VA hospital campus.  Bobcats, javelina, four varieties of deer, elk, pronghorns, skunks galore, and a fox, all in my immediate neighborhood, but no coyote.

And no poisonous snakes, although they abound hereabouts, I'm told.

Lots of birds all over.

There's been sightings of them here in the 'burbs east of Cleveland. Lots of deer around here so I'm not surprised. I've seen one about a half a mile from near the freeway under the bridge just looking out.  Cool looking animals if ya ask me.^_^ 

Cool until you catch one stalking your pup. 

I watched a pair try to run an ambush on my dog. One trotted in front of the pup, then took off when the pup started after it.  I called the dog back, and when I did a second coyote came out from behind a brush pile where it had been waiting for the chase to go past it and started trailing the dog back toward the house. 

I headed for the coyote, yelling at it. It looked at the dog, like it was gauging the distance and wondering if it could catch the pup before I got there, but it did finally take off. 

Apparently in Chicago, it is OK to shoot humans but not shoot coyotes.
If that little girl's dad had popped the coyote he would be in more trouble for shooting his neighbor.
We have the same problem here in CA.

"We are nice people and the nice coyote will love us."
They do this with sharks, too.. and with the same end result.

Betcha if you pop them in the backside with a BB gun it’ll scare em off! Works with deer! I can’t hunt here in the suburbs!

I remember many years ago when Los Angeles was still growing northward, a housing development was built near Magic Mountain.

The coyotes would come out of the brush and follow mothers pushing their children in strollers down the sidewalk. They would also stand and watch the older kids.  The neighborhood was warned that the coyotes had a right to be there and to harm them would be a crime.   So, Fish and Game would do nothing about the threat  by the coyotes to human beings. 

One homeowner climbed on his roof and shot one of the coyotes.  Fish and game arrested him.

Only a few days later, a five-year-old girl was grabbed by the neck by a coyote and dragged up a hill.  She died of a broken neck.  The incident was witnessed and people got to the child before the coyotes could eat her.   

I guess what I’m trying to convey here is that having wild coyotes roaming an urban environment is dangerous to humans. If those who are responsible to get them out do not do their job, my opinion is that the citizenry should do it instead.

It is widely thought that coyotes pose no threat to humans.   The actual evidence is to the contrary.

Can't shoot 'em here unless they attack you or someone else...only humans, not pets.  If one attacks my dog we'll see if anyone can find a jury that will convict me.

People in this area love their dogs and horses, and to a large degree, cats as well.

Unfortunately, humane encroachment on wildlife habitat has resulted in conflicts.  Along the Front Range of Colorado (and elsewhere) people having built homes in the foothills, have resulted in various critters being displaced, having their food supplies disrupted, as well as human carelessness in placing their garbage where it attracts bears, mountain lions, raccoons, etc, makes conflicts inevitable!   Only "solution" is to make people move (not going to happen unless forest/range fires burn them out), or wipe out the animals (which starts to happen when an animal attacks a human and the Game Dept. has to "euthanize" the poor critter! :(

I don't think its so much encroachment to the coyote and his highly adaptive nature.  Humans, their waste, and pets are just another niche coyotes can and do readily acculturate.   They need a little fear interjected occasionally to ensure they behave themselves.

See coyotes though our back fence often.  But they aren't bold here.  They see the least human movement or noise and they're gone.

The other night at about midnight, the Singing Dogs Choir sounded like they were right under our bedroom window.   Our killer Yorkie dog, Sally, yelled at them to stop or she was going to come out and get them. :rolleyes:

X0w5xO.jpg

Hear them most every night here on the South MS coast.

See a few dead on the side of the road occasionally.

Can hunt or trap them year round, with certain restrictions, depending on location/time of year.

We've never had coyotes here but since the explosion of the deer population they're starting to show up. I live in the suburbs but there's the Cleveland Metro Park system which is close by which is populated by lots of wildlife. The Lake Park system is also within about 10 miles. Bears have been sighted there.

On 9/25/2019 at 1:52 PM, Trailrider #896 said:

Genetically, coyotes are so close to domestic dogs that they can interbreed!  Don't know if the offspring can reproduce or not. :unsure:

Hybridization usually only occurs when coyotes are expanding into areas where conspecifics are few and dogs are the only alternatives. Even then, pup survival rates are lower than normal, as dogs do not form pair bonds with coyotes, thus making the rearing of pups more difficult.[3] Nevertheless, hybrids of both sexes are fertile, and can be successfully bred through four generations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coydog 

Coyotes are one of the most adaptable creatures in the world. They increase their range constantly, unlike most other wild animals. It’s gonna take a lot to make them extinct.

On 9/25/2019 at 1:41 PM, Alpo said:

On the bus in Portland Oregon. 

Coyote in Portland Oregon.jpg

This guy was on a Light Rail Vehicle (train) and they were pretty sure he was a repeat rider. 

44 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

This guy was on a Light Rail Vehicle (train) and they were pretty sure he was a repeat rider. 

Canids (dogs, coyotes) are incredibly smart if not allowed to let their brains rot. In Moscow they (dogs, coyotes haven't made it there yet) know how to evade the subway guards, travel the very long escalators and use the trains, count the stops, change to another train and get off at their favorite stops, again use the escalators and go to their favorite begging places. and then go home in the evening, reversing their route.

9 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Canids (dogs, coyotes) are incredibly smart if not allowed to let their brains rot. In Moscow they (dogs, coyotes haven't made it there yet) know how to evade the subway guards, travel the very long escalators and use the trains, count the stops, change to another train and get off at their favorite stops, again use the escalators and go to their favorite begging places. and then go home in the evening, reversing their route.

Marshal’s right about how sharp coyotes can be. The two that set up to ambush my pup had to watch and pattern our morning routine to be ready the way they were. 

There’s a reason why in Native American fables the coyote usually managed to trick everyone. 

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Had a monthly pass, did he? How many punches were left on it?

Coyotes were virtually nonexistent east of the Mississippi prior to the late 1980's. Quite a few crossed the frozen rivers in the winter of 76-77, and in a couple more extremely cold winters after then. Just goes to show how adaptable they are as a species. Probably the most opportunistic animal on the planet. They are very smart as they watch other animals being born, they are more interested in the afterbirth than exerting energy to kill and have a potential battle with a pissed off mother.

5 hours ago, Assassin said:

Coyotes were virtually nonexistent east of the Mississippi prior to the late 1980's. Quite a few crossed the frozen rivers in the winter of 76-77, and in a couple more extremely cold winters after then. Just goes to show how adaptable they are as a species. Probably the most opportunistic animal on the planet. They are very smart as they watch other animals being born, they are more interested in the afterbirth than exerting energy to kill and have a potential battle with a pissed off mother.

Got news for you.

The reason coyotes made it east has nothing to do with their smarts. It has everything to do with states like Pennsylvania importing them to quell the deer population so hunters wouldn’t have game. They did this in the late 70’s. The dumbas...morons will n charge of the DFG weren’t Biologists. They were scum...you know, bureaucrats. The idiots thought the coyotes would go after fawns. Those same idiots didn’t think about the rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, etc... that made easier prey than a fawn and a mama willing to protect it.

10 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Good 'yotes = dead 'yotes.  We chute 'em day or night, year round.  No season, restrictions, or bag limits.

Same here, they're vermin. I used to shoot IHMSA with a guy that worked on a big ranch in eastern New Mexico. He said every now and then they'd take a chopper up and kill them by the dozen if not hundreds. Month or two later they couldn't tell any difference.

JHC

Archived