SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter Reload

Billy the Avenger

So you have a stage that calls for a pistol reload, and you shoot gunfighter

How would you reload...

I was thinking of starting with the right gun first so as I finsh with the right gun I could be putting it away, shoot the 10th and have the reload in my right hand ready

So what do you guys think

Billy the Avenger

I keep my reloads on my right side so I would do it like you said unless I can have a round on the table and set the right pistol down after firing the 9th shoot ( starting with the right)

If it were reload anytime, I would shoot it double duelist shooting the left hand first, fire one shot from right pistol and open the loading gate with my right thumb. Load the round in the empty hole, close the gate and finish the string.

That might work for rugers but it's a little trickier with colts. You can't just open the loading gate and load. You have to go to halfcock first. Still, I think I would try to draw and shoot one shot out if my left gun first, reload, then draw the right gun and shoot the next ten shots just like I normally would. At least that's the working theory right now.

If it were reload anytime, I would shoot it double duelist shooting the left hand first, fire one shot from right pistol and open the loading gate with my right thumb. Load the round in the empty hole, close the gate and finish the string.

I like that idea, just tried it a few times with snap caps, very smooth. redwood kid is right about putting it on half clock but you do that while your right hand is opening the gate and already has the round in it

The few times I've run into a pistol reload, just shot both guns dry, put one away and reloaded the one still out. Never worried about "speed." Seen to many fumble away the reload cartridge trying to game it or go too fast.

PS: Since I now shoot Cap Guns, I just cap the uncapped chamber after I shoot em both dry. Or take the miss.

PSS: What I meant to say was I Cap the charged un-capped chamber before I start the string. Un-Fun to try and run a string with an un-capped but charged chamber. Chain fire is exciting. Not fun, but exciting.

I would shoot it duelist shooting the left hand pistol first, fire one shot, and open the loading gate and load the round with right hand in the empty hole, close the gate and draw right gun for last 10 shots.

Need to add a pistol reload to my next match!

READ, I SAY READ THE RULES OF SHOOTING GUNFIGHTER.

I BELIEVE THE ONLY WAY TO COMPLY FOR GUNFIGHTERS TO RELOAD ONE ROUND THE RULE OF THIS STAGE WOULD HAVE TO MAKE ALL SHOOTERS RELOAD

WITH THE SAME HAND, AT THE END OF THE 10TH ROUND, SUCH AS, WHEN YOU HAVE SHOT THE LAST ROUND ON YOUR RIGHT HAND, HOLSTER YOUR

LEFT GUN AND RELOAD THE RIGHT HAND GUN AND FIRE THE RELOAD AT,SUCH OR SUCH TARGET.

A NIGHTMARE TO DO IN MY OPINION.

Of course there are other ways.

for the first time our govt has just broadcast yesterday a RUSSIAN WARSHIP CAME INTO THE LONG ISLAND SOUND about 30 MILES OFF THE CONNETICUT COAST

I shoot like normal for the first ten. While my left hand holsters my right hand thumbs open the loading gate. Draw a round off my left side and load. Shooting double duelist adds a second and a half to three seconds before the reload for me. Too much wasted time.

IMHO, the stage writer needs to be fired!!!! :-)

He's entirely too cute!!!

We've come a long ways in the last few years. Only two whiners, and they came in late. In the early days of gunfighter, the whining would have started immediately and completely taken over the thread. I'm glad we're past all that.

Not to hijack the thread, this is an interesting discussion...

But I was wondering, if a Gunfighter shoots the first round as a Double Duelist (no revolver in the other hand) and performs the reload, is he required to complete the stage as a Double Duelist, or is he allowed to draw the second revolver after the reload and finish the stage in Gunfighter style?

I shoot Gunfighter once every two years, just to convince myself I still can't do it well, so this is a curiosity question for me. But it might be of interest to ROs and TOs if they ever see it happen.

I believe that a gun fighter MAY shoot double Duelist if needed, but have seen some, particularly new to gunfighter, pull both pistols with the INTENT to shoot them alternating, but end up shooting one for 5 rounds, then the other for 5 rounds. No Penalty as they MAY do double duelist, so with that in mind.

Shooting the first round duelist, Loading the reload, drawing second pistol and shooting alternating rounds is within the GF rules.

I must say that I am NOT a gunfighter, the few times I have done it though I have NEVER had so much fun missing!!!

If I am mistaken, please let me know.

Not to hijack the thread, this is an interesting discussion...

But I was wondering, if a Gunfighter shoots the first round as a Double Duelist (no revolver in the other hand) and performs the reload, is he required to complete the stage as a Double Duelist, or is he allowed to draw the second revolver after the reload and finish the stage in Gunfighter style?

I shoot Gunfighter once every two years, just to convince myself I still can't do it well, so this is a curiosity question for me. But it might be of interest to ROs and TOs if they ever see it happen.

If both revolvers leave the holster at the beginning of the string then your commented to shooting gunfighter. If one revolver leaves the holster then your shooting duelist for the rest of the string. Now you can pull both shoot 5 from one reholster shoot one out of the 2nd revolver reload and finish

If both revolvers leave the holster at the beginning of the string then your commented to shooting gunfighter. If one revolver leaves the holster then your shooting duelist for the rest of the string. Now you can pull both shoot 5 from one reholster shoot one out of the 2nd revolver reload and finish

I agree that if you pull both, you can not reholster until the gun you wish to holster is empty. However, you are at no point locked into shooting double duelist. If you pull only one gun and fire 3 rounds, you can then pull the other and alternate for the next 4 before holstering the empty one and then finish the last three with the second drawn gun. There is nothing in the rules which prohibits this.

I agree that if you pull both, you can not reholster until the gun you wish to holster is empty. However, you are at no point locked into shooting double duelist. If you pull only one gun and fire 3 rounds, you can then pull the other and alternate for the next 4 before holstering the empty one and then finish the last three with the second drawn gun. There is nothing in the rules which prohibits this.

Interesting, I always thought of it like once you fire the first round you were stuck.

So you could be firing the rifle finish and while holding the rifle be shooting the revolver and putting down the rifle grab the 2nd revolver and finish shooting gunfighter

Interesting, I always thought of it like once you fire the first round you were stuck.

So you could be firing the rifle finish and while holding the rifle be shooting the revolver and putting down the rifle grab the 2nd revolver and finish shooting gunfighter

There is always so much misinformation and mysticism about shooting gunfighter. Where did you ever come up with the after first round you are stuck with it idea? I have never seen anything even remotely like that in any manual. Not that it doesn't exist. I just can't recall ever reading it.

Sure.

Hi Folks,

I didn't see this one. Excuse me if I missed it.

Pull one gun, fire one shot, load one in it. Pull second gun and fire second gun. Continue like normal, alternating. Not shooting DD. Shooting GF the entire time. There is no specification in the rules, that when shooting GF style, both pistols must be pulled at the same exact time.

I'm sure PWB will correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Allie

Hi Folks,

Pull one gun, fire one shot, load one in it. Pull second gun and fire second gun. Continue like normal, alternating. Not shooting DD. Shooting GF the entire time. There is no specification in the rules, that when shooting GF style, both pistols must be pulled at the same exact time.

Regards,

Allie

Yeah that was my idea. It might take a little longer than the load at the end, but I think it would help me keep the gunfighter rhythm I have going in my head.

Hi Folks,

Regards,

Allie

Both pistols do not have to be out at the same time,nor pulled at the same time

The way Smokestack suggested pull one fire and reload is great and every easy

You would not have to rotate the cylinder after reloading but this all depends on the stage description on when to reload

Archived