SASS Wire Forum

UPDATE 9:00PM 3-31 Need some prayers for my wife

I've included your wife and you in my prayers, Forty. I trust your wife's medical team are hitting her medical crisis with every tool at their disposal. We pray that God is guiding their actions. You, Forty are the best advocate for your wife. Stay in there. My prayers will continue.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely in my prayers. I am just over the hill in Cornville and while we have never met , I am available for any assistance I can offer.

We'll have to correct that "never met" situation once Shawna's back on her feet.

Glad it turned out to be NOT a stroke, but, bad happenings none the less.

Prayers and hopes for a speedy recovery for her, Forty.

And, I've come awful close to having mine kicked by a nurse a few times in the past, too. :o

She asked when I had eaten last, how much sleep I had gotten in the last few days and if I were hydrating properly. I told her maybe Tuesday night, probably five of six hours in the last two nights, and I didn'y know how much I had been drinking.

Then she ORDERED me to get a good meal, take a hot shower, drink all the water I could hold, and go to bed for at least four hours. She told me "I'm not a doctor so my prescriptions and orders can't be enforced, but I'll do my level best to kick your ass if you don't follow them". I asked her how she could tell. She stated very simply that she was the best nurse in Arizona and I looked like pure-dee hell.

Thanks for the update, Rod.

Nurses are pretty observant and they know the signs of someone close to exhaustion. Plus, they CARE.

When I left this morning the head nurse asked she could speak to me in the hallway. BAD NEWS, think I but no!

Nope, the doctors are the ones who give the bad news. It's the nurses who deal with the aftermath. God bless every one of them.

Doctors in a hospital are like officers in the military. They give directions and think that means they're running things, but the nurses are the sergeants who get things done.

Anyway, keep your head up and follow the nice nurse's orders. We'll keep up the prayers as long as they're needed, and then some.

You listen to that nurse. Your wife doesn't need to come home and take care of you.

Prayers up for you BOTH.

Knarley

Still standing up on my Prayer Bones for you both!

If you see that nurse again tell her there's a long tall grey bearded nurse in Northern Ohio that says she done good!

'Nother update... sort of: not much change. Blood count is leveling off and the infection is being beat back. Nothing major yet. She's still heavily sedated and almost comatose, but that is deliberate.

I want to thank everyone for their prayers and positive remarks. Sure makes a body feel better to know how many friends he has and that he's never met. Bless all of you (Even the two agnostics and two atheists who asked their religious friends to speak up.)

Prayers and good thoughts are still up, Tom...

And do give her our best when you can. I've met her, and yep... she's special!

AND take care of yourself... we need ya around these parts!

Prayers up for Shawna and you, too, Forty. My sincere best wishes for a full &a speedy recovery. Just saw this post or would have replied earlier.

Another update:

infection is being beat down, they are taking her off of one sedative, and adding a diuretic because her lungs are a bit worse than yesterday. All of her other vitals are good and they can't even detect her heart murmur from a childhood disease. I'll call again this evening and if she is even remotely conscious I'll go over and spend some time with her.

Thanks again.

Forty, when you're there, go ahead and talk to her and like Badger Mountain Charlie said, squeeze her hand.
Hearing is the last sense to go, and there are deeper senses science can't explain that let us know when someone is there.

She might not respond and she might not remember later that you were there, but take it from a man who's seen it many times ...

She'll know.

And like others have said, take care of you too!

Okay, they took her off of 2 out of three sedatives and were weaning her off the last one when she started trying to reach the tubing to pull it out. They have her % of breathing on her own (does that make sense?) up to 22% and when it gets to 35% they plan to take her off the tube altogether and work on her breathing via a CPAP device similar to what they give folks with COPD.

Looking better every day, but she still has a huge field to hoe and I can't help her.

Just being with her and supporting her are more help than you know. I will continue with my prayers.

Don't forget to take care of yourself.

Dale

Still standing up on my Prayer Bones for you both, and Brother Harrison said it right!

Archived