SASS Wire Forum

Real Black Powder Shooters ONLY!

Mad Dog McGee

Greetings Fellow Soot LORDS and LADIES, Like to know why you shoot REAL Black Powder ONLY and refuse to shoot subs or the passing fad "smokeless" ?

My reason is that ANYONE can shoot smokeless, but I think that it takes real dedication and love , to shoot REAL BP. I LOVE to feel the concussion , see the smoke, flames and hear the BOOM of shooting REAL BP.

I cast my own bullets, load my own cartridges and enjoy it ! When Utah Bob was here in Florida I loved to shoot on the same posse with him. He always had his short barreled 45's loaded to the max with BP . Almost would blow your hat off AT the loading table !!!!! Cleaning is no big deal , I use baby wipes for my patches .

I feel the extra steps and dedication are well worth it. AFTER ALL, that's the way it really was in the OLD WEST in all the major gunfights ! SO i say .........

FLAMES , SMOKE , AND BOOM !!!!!!!!! IS WHERE YOU HAVE FUN !!!!! :P

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's in the SMOKE, FIRE and the BOOM!!!!!

Big Plus 1! If there's a stage where the walls are kinda' close or you're somewhat enclosed, the concussion feels great. When I was in the Army in Fort Knox, we were taught how to use dynamite, det-cord, anti-tank mines and blow up bridges (though we didn't really blow up any). Setting off dynamite and det-cord was fun....you might say it was a BLAST! Throwin' frags was fun too! I like things that explode. :D

Big Plus 1! If there's a stage where the walls are kinda' close or you're somewhat enclosed, the concussion feels great. When I was in the Army in Fort Knox, we were taught how to use dynamite, det-cord, anti-tank mines and blow up bridges (though we didn't really blow up any). Setting off dynamite and det-cord was fun....you might say it was a BLAST! Throwin' frags was fun too! I like things that explode. :D

If ya step back jest a tad ya can contain the smoke in the buildin. :P:D:lol: kR

I used to shoot muzzleloaders in a small club in Oklahoma. We always had a prize table at each shoot. Everybody brought a prize and the best shooter got first pick. Some new shooter brought a can of Pyrodex and put it on the table. One of our shooters took it and dug a hole on the range and buried it. No more subs. Needless to say we were pure black powder shooters. I now shoot old armies with a conversion cylinder and sometimes the cap & ball when I feel like it. Love the smoke and fire.

I don't always choose to shoot black powder, but when I do I always shoot real, smoky, stinkin', booming, black powder.

Out of all the things that get's used for, that's the best I've seen so far!! :)

Because that's what they had in the period 1860-1898 that I try to portray.

When I wear the clothes of the past,carry the period weapons and accessories shouldn't I use the correct type of powder?

Just saying

Practical. I decided to shoot only black powder in SASS. Real Black is available, affordable and easy to handle. I buy in quantity, frequently splitting a 25 pound order. We buy from Powder, Inc in Arkansas. If we have reached panic levels we order and have it shipped or wait until one of our members is going near Powder Inc.

If I were forced to buy subs my choice would be APP.

I have pitted guns from my venture into 777 and I really dislike the smell of Pyrodex.

OK guys.....I'll start by saying I've shot real BP & subs for 10 years or so in my CAS guns. I'll probably get some flack by what I'm going to say next......what's the big deal about subs. I shoot max loads in my .45 and 10 & 12 ga and can't tell a lot of difference when I shoot subs. Lots of recoil, smoke is the same OR MORE and flame out of the barrel is pretty close too. I've shot in 20 or so night shoots and no one can tell whose shooting what. Really hard to get real bp out here in the sticks where I live, but lots of sub stuff available. I shoot APP a lot and I really can't tell any difference....

So whats the big deal?

Okay, y'all ain't quite "girly-boys", but why not take the last step into manhood and shoot cap n' ball pistols... That's the real difference between grinnin' like you know a secret, and outright KNOWING the secret!

OK guys.....I'll start by saying I've shot real BP & subs for 10 years or so in my CAS guns. I'll probably get some flack by what I'm going to say next......what's the big deal about subs. I shoot max loads in my .45 and 10 & 12 ga and can't tell a lot of difference when I shoot subs. Lots of recoil, smoke is the same OR MORE and flame out of the barrel is pretty close too. I've shot in 20 or so night shoots and no one can tell whose shooting what. Really hard to get real bp out here in the sticks where I live, but lots of sub stuff available. I shoot APP a lot and I really can't tell any difference....

So whats the big deal?

Thanks Big Sage, I never seen any sub , and I've shot APP, Pyrodex, and 777. No flames, no concussion, terrible smell , but more smoke with APP. I guess the big deal is that it's the real deal. MDM

Okay, y'all ain't quite "girly-boys", but why not take the last step into manhood and shoot cap n' ball pistols... That's the real difference between grinnin' like you know a secret, and outright KNOWING the secret!

Thanks Griff, YES I love Cap N Ball. The original gunfighter revolvers were Cap N Ball . I've got 2 sets of 38-40's, 2 Richards Mason conversions, 2 1873 rifles , 38-40 and .357. I still plan to get : 44-40's, 32-20's, 45LC, and a set of 1860's cap n balls. Not enough money right now , but the're comming one day. Still would like to have a Colt Walker too ! It was the original magnum ! MDM

While I do shoot subs, I find real BP ignites most reliably in cap 'n ball revolvers. I sometimes get a noticeable delay when firing 777 in my ROAs. Real BP is my choice for cap 'n ball.

No flames, no concussion, terrible smell , I guess the big deal is that it's the real deal. MDM

Yep, real Flames.....Smoke...Boom!! and smells sweet. :) I don't know which ones, but one of the subs looks like yellow dust instead of smoke, and one chokes you like sheetrock dust. :o Recoil is not the same either. Like others I pour my own bullets and lube, and real BP is alot less expensive than the subs.......they will deliver up to 50lbs right to your door. No offense to the subby shooters, whatever gets you to the range is fine by me, I'll still shoot nothin' but real BP.

I prefer to use Schuetzen, it's cleaner burning and smells good. A few years back at the NC BP Championship I overheard a couple of ladies say "what's that Jefro is shooting??? it almost smells sweet". ;) Great for mosquito control......and smells sweeeeet :D Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Like others I pour my own bullets and lube, and real BP is alot less expensive than the subs.......they will deliver up to 50lbs right to your door.

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Maybe where you live, but I got 20# of APP delivered to my door for $14.00 per pound. I can't get real BP delivered to my door for anyway near that price.

Good post cousin Mad Dog. 1861 Navies with 22 gr fffg makes a nice fireball

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

I love to see so many Ruger users strut around cuz they are using reeeal bp instead of a sub!!!! Very very few shooters will even recognise what you are shooting during a match and this includes those who shoot the real bp. We are usually just to busy with our own makings to worry about the other guys.

Maybe where you live, but I got 20# of APP delivered to my door for $14.00 per pound. I can't get real BP delivered to my door for anyway near that price.

Yes, yes you can. I use KiK and Skirmish powders for the majority of my BP shooting and purchase by the 25 pound case. KIK is $14.10 a lb and Skirmish is $13.00 a lb currently when purchased by the 25 pound case and that price includes the haz mat fee and shipping. Buy it here: http://www.powderinc.com/cgi-bin/bpstore/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=order.htm&ORDER_ID=438284020

NAh! NAh! na NAh! NAh! I can get 25lbs. of REAL ffg BP delivered to my door for a little less than $13.00 per pound.

I love to see so many Ruger users strut around cuz they are using reeeal bp instead of a sub!!!! Very very few shooters will even recognise what you are shooting during a match and this includes those who shoot the real bp. We are usually just to busy with our own makings to worry about the other guys.

Bob,

Actually, it's easy to tell by the smell. The smoke from APP takes my breath away. And I shoot Rugers. Why not?

AIN"T IT GREAT!!

eHoYYi4.png

Tyrel "Ol' Smokey" Cody

and my buckaroo

Mustang Lewis

Tyrel, Looks like yore bringing Mustang Lewis up right ! Teaching him that FLAMES , SMOKE, AN BOOM IS FUN !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the pic and great video !

Tyrel, Looks like yore bringing Mustang Lewis up right ! Teaching him that FLAMES , SMOKE, AN BOOM IS FUN !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the pic and great video !

I loaded him some APP for a match last summer. He asked me not to do that anymore, it just wasn't the same without the flame and BOOM!!!!!!

Archived