SASS Wire Forum

Real Black Powder Shooters ONLY!

Mad Dog McGee

I don't always choose to shoot black powder, but when I do I always shoot real, smoky, stinkin', booming, black powder.

[ /quote]

Yep I'm with Possum...Real black for me when I shoot on the darkside..can I say it!..I kinda' think subs is cheatin, there is more to it than shooting an obscured target when shooting black.!!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Formula goes like this;

Ruger Old Armys + 40grains of Swiss 3f + people who show up to matches way too early, so they can park too close to the bays = heavy concussions that set car alarms off.

Anything less, why get out of bed?

Formula goes like this;

Ruger Old Armys + 40grains of Swiss 3f + people who show up to matches way too early, so they can park too close to the bays = heavy concussions that set car alarms off.

Anything less, why get out of bed?

I love it !!!! Now that's a LOT of BOOM ! Like I say Flames , Smoke and BOOM it where it's at !!!!!!!!!!!!

I say we band together and have the rule changed to allow only REEEAL black powder in the true bp categories, of Frontiersman, BP Gunfighter and FCD. I leave out Frontier Cartridge intentionally as it allows two handed shooting which is totally bogus for those of us who demand that others follow our lead of doing it the only way that is totally righteous! But to keep this new movement totally pure we must root out those who would allow the tainted smell of modern guns, clothing and gear into the only real realm of the true Order of The Soot Lords of SASS. No more zippers on those Botas, narry a hint that one might want to wear blue jeans and the modern atrocities such as Ruger pistols or Henry Repeating Arms rifles must never be allowed again! Why go only part way, lets make this an all out attack on those who would taint our purity with modern bs. OH what a wonderful day, no more modern chemical smells to insult our fragile nostrils that have been trained to only appreciate the finer odoriferous odours of pure black powder as it blossoms up from our period correct firearms to delight our senses. :lol::lol:

I've used real BP since 2006. I buy at least 25 pounds at a time so the hazmat fee doesn't bother me. I find it's easy to load and clean and I like the effects when I pull the trigger. I know APP is plenty smoky, but the fire and smell is wrong to me.

11822819_10205910564580553_1866798500625

10325332_10202681024724075_1833256996911

I say we band together and have the rule changed to allow only REEEAL black powder in the true bp categories, of Frontiersman, BP Gunfighter and FCD. I leave out Frontier Cartridge intentionally as it allows two handed shooting which is totally bogus for those of us who demand that others follow our lead of doing it the only way that is totally righteous! But to keep this new movement totally pure we must root out those who would allow the tainted smell of modern guns, clothing and gear into the only real realm of the true Order of The Soot Lords of SASS. No more zippers on those Botas, narry a hint that one might want to wear blue jeans and the modern atrocities such as Ruger pistols or Henry Repeating Arms rifles must never be allowed again! Why go only part way, lets make this an all out attack on those who would taint our purity with modern bs. OH what a wonderful day, no more modern chemical smells to insult our fragile nostrils that have been trained to only appreciate the finer odoriferous odours of pure black powder as it blossoms up from our period correct firearms to delight our senses. :lol::lol:

The more BP shooters we have, the better. No matter what they use to make smoke. I have a good source for BP, and I like the fire and smell better than any of the subs, so that's what I use. That makes it right for ME. I have pards who would rather not look for exotic bullets - more power to them, and welcome to the fire. I do load APP for my bride whenever she decides to join in the smokey fun.

I think the point that the real BP users are making is that the powder is indeed available at a reasonable price, so that should not be a reason to avoid it. If you have other reasons, go for it. Just don't be intimidated or misled about the availability.

CR

The main reason I still play Cowboy...BOOM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Ca22Ds37I

I really wish people would stop talking about how great black powder is. If people keep pumping up all the virtues, there might be more people coming over to the dark side. I am really enjoying both the ample supply of powder any time I want as well as being able to make the most smoke on my posse. Please don't take that away from me!

Great Pictures and videos! Keep'em comming ! You guys make me proud !!

Long Live the Soot Lords !!!!! REAL Black Powder Forever !!!!

FLAMES , SMOKE , & BOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!! FUN, FUN FUN !!!!!!!

Howdy

With all due respect, I get a little bit tired of Black Powder shooters who are less than tolerant of shooters who choose to use subs or Smokeless powder. Not everybody wants to put in the extra effort requited to shoot real Black Powder. And some of us shoot modern firearms in other disciplines that actually require Smokeless. Show up at a sanctioned Trap match sometime with Black Powder shells and see what kind of welcome you get. And as far as the subs are concerned, not everybody has easy access to real Black Powder, for some, the extra local regulations regarding real Black Powder make buying it or keeping it at home impractical.

I shoot real Black Powder, and I have been doing it for a long time. As a matter fact I am the guy who wrote "It is expected the Blackpowder competitor shall contend with smoke obscured targets", the phrase that appears in the Shooter's Handbook.

But I do not stand around sniffing the smoke trying to determine if others are shooting real Black Powder or subs. I enjoy shooting Black Powder, but I also realize it is not for everyone.

Perhaps I should lobby that only the 1860 Henry should be used in CAS, nothing newer should be allowed.

BlackPowderCountryPond_zpsc1361063.jpg

Howdy

With all due respect, I get a little bit tired of Black Powder shooters who are less than tolerant of shooters who choose to use subs or Smokeless powder. Not everybody wants to put in the extra effort requited to shoot real Black Powder. And some of us shoot modern firearms in other disciplines that actually require Smokeless. Show up at a sanctioned Trap match sometime with Black Powder shells and see what kind of welcome you get. And as far as the subs are concerned, not everybody has easy access to real Black Powder, for some, the extra local regulations regarding real Black Powder make buying it or keeping it at home impractical.

I shoot real Black Powder, and I have been doing it for a long time. As a matter fact I am the guy who wrote "It is expected the Blackpowder competitor shall contend with smoke obscured targets", the phrase that appears in the Shooter's Handbook.

But I do not stand around sniffing the smoke trying to determine if others are shooting real Black Powder or subs. I enjoy shooting Black Powder, but I also realize it is not for everyone.

Perhaps I should lobby that only the 1860 Henry should be used in CAS, nothing newer should be allowed.

Is that you? Very nice picture and really sweet gun. But why the glove? I thought real mean could handle shooting a Henry with BP. Haha just kidding you. I doubt I could handle it even with the glove.

I agree with what you wrote. It seems that there is a lot of elitism amongst some members. If it isn't real BP, it's not the right caliber, or the right gun, or heaven forbid it's the jeans. It's just a game folks, and a really fun one at that so let's not get our knickers in a bind.

Howdy Again

Yes, that is me.

Black Powder burns hotter than Smokeless. On a not summer day, at the end of a string of ten shots the barrel of my Henry is too hot to hold without a glove. Notice there is no wooden forestock,. On the other hand, in the fall or the winter, the barrel just gets pleasantly warm.

Howdy

Nice Pic Driftwood! Love the Henry ,wish I had one , maybe one day. The REASON I started the post was to find out WHY some shooters (like me )use only Real Black Powder. Was it because of the different smoke, flames, concussion etc. That's WHY I said Real BP ONLY. You're right it's not for everyone. Some are unable to shoot BP, I do encourage shooting Real BP , it's fun !!!

In no way was I putting down the sub shooters. To each his own. I started out shooting subs, APP, Pyrodex, 777. They smoked , but I wanted something more , different.... , then at a match I got to shoot a pard's 45 with the real stuff !!! WOW ! Totally different !!!

I was hooked !!!!! The smoke, flames, concussion was fantastic ! Subs were good, but this was GREAT!

I sold my .38's and went to the 38-40(38WCF) . I didn't realize the amount of dedication that it required. Lubed bullets was the biggest hurdle . But I pressed on and now I love it ! A LOT of Preparation ,BUT a LOT of FUN !!!

I love slinging smoke and flames makes you feel alive with 45 colt cases full of real powder. listening to everyone cough and complain is great. wish there were more soot lords around here. I hardly ever get the chance to shoot with anyone who shoots real gunpowder. maybe ambush will have a bunch of us.

A-hem. Please don't leave out the Soot Ladies!

I started with APP. Had too many issues when I tried real BP with keeping the guns running. Then the Big Lube Bullets came along and I found someone that was making them. Switched to real BP again to get a better flame. Lou loves flames. Getting bullets got more difficult so I got my own molds and learned to cast. Figured out my own lube recipe and I make that, too.

If the sub shooters meet the smoke requirement, leave them alone. I don't personally like to shoot subs but there's plenty of good reasons why other people use them.

A-hem. Please don't leave out the Soot Ladies!

I started with APP. Had too many issues when I tried real BP with keeping the guns running. Then the Big Lube Bullets came along and I found someone that was making them. Switched to real BP again to get a better flame. Lou loves flames. Getting bullets got more difficult so I got my own molds and learned to cast. Figured out my own lube recipe and I make that, too.

If the sub shooters meet the smoke requirement, leave them alone. I don't personally like to shoot subs but there's plenty of good reasons why other people use them.

Lou, I apologize for leaving you out, You are one of the few Soot Ladies I know that shoot the REAL BP.(I corrected it on my post)

Like I said before , I'm not kicking the sub shooters , just saying that I like Real BP a lot better.

I realize that some shooters can't shoot the real BP because of the preparation and time involved. No PROBLEM. I'm glad they're making smoke.

But like you , I love the FLAMES, SMOKE and BOOM !!!!!! I consider myself fortunate to have the time,dedication and resources to be able to shoot BP.

I started this tread to see WHY other shooters were shooting REAL BP and if they loved it as much as I do !!!

Thanks to all for the post and great pictures of FLAMES, SMOKE ans BOOM !!!!!!!!

My pards shoot subs. We give each other grief all the time in fun about it..

They josh me for being the BP shooter that just HAS to clean guns after a match.

We are all smoky shooters. Yeehaw.

Some of us just smell better.

I mean our smoke smells better.

Big Plus 1! If there's a stage where the walls are kinda' close or you're somewhat enclosed, the concussion feels great. When I was in the Army in Fort Knox, we were taught how to use dynamite, det-cord, anti-tank mines and blow up bridges (though we didn't really blow up any). Setting off dynamite and det-cord was fun....you might say it was a BLAST! Throwin' frags was fun too! I like things that explode. :D

youre a man after my heart

A picture is worth a thousand words.

87fire.jpg

...well, I like things that go boom... ...and with the flame, smoke, smell and things rattling loose on the stage...

...and yes, Ms. Mary Matilda shoot Black Powder as well...

​Thanks everyone for the responses , kind words and Pictures. It's nice to know that there are still shooters out there that LOVE Black Powder Shooting as much as I do ! KEEP the ........

FLAMES , SMOKE , AND BOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOING !!!!!!!!!!!!

....Some delected for brevity.....

Driftwood, I'm with you. Brass Framed Henry's only! :)

By the way, at the Maine State I noticed *before* leaving the loading table that my bullets were behind my stick instead of in front of it :)

Willy

Archived