SASS Wire Forum

How many more matches would you attend as a single shooter if the match had a bunkhouse

Blackey Cole

I've always thought if a match supplied bunks for single shooter to keep them from have to get a motel room or drag a camper just for them more shooters could attend as the cost of the match would be cheaper. Less fuel to get there without a Rv to pull,drive,carry. Because at a good match all you do is sleep in your Rv food is available,entertainment is available. If a match rented a tent during the mild times no heat or cooling would be needed. Throw some single cot bunks with a usable pad. The shooter brought his own bed roll. A plugin would be nice for each bed for those of us that use a CPAP or to charge their phone at night.privacy could be canvas curtains hung between the bunks and everything else.

The match could charge depending on the number of Nights. If it is over a couple nights a shower trailer like the military uses could be setup with a buck for five minutes of water or get some galvanized house troughs put hot water in it per bather and they could take a bath for ten or twenty bucks.

This actually would be good for a vender type operation one tent for housing one tent for bathing think of it you would need a water truck and a generator for power. The two or more tents.

Mc rally's that owe the land were the riders spend their money for food, entertainment have started buying these little log type storage buildings with a porch and placing them on their property and renting them out for the riders to use. I think they come with a bed and matrices chair and table at the most. They lock. The bikers bring their own light cooking gear if used etc. just the bare basics I'd provided. I think places like founders ranch and others that can should try it out. Charge the same as camping fee for each.

I for one would be able to attend a lot more events if they were available. How bout you?

A shower house and nice toilet facilities would allow many to tent camp. Thus, allowing many to afford to attend matches without having to pull a camper. Winter Range is a good example.

I'm to the point in life where "roughing it" is staying at a hotel that does not have valet parking!

Seroiusly, I'm sure there are many who would take advantage of primative bunkhouse type accomodations, but I prefer at least a private bathroom. I dont want to be caught stumbling around in the dark in my non-sass legal drawers. If a range had some sort of cabin I would be happy to use it, and pay a reasonable fee. I am staying at Flat Creek Ranch for the Whoopin. They did not have any cabins available, but did have rooms with private bathrooms availbale. Also going to Defend Old Fort Parker. They have barrack style rooms available, for 45/night, but I opted to stay at a hotel in town.

No thanks, never have liked barracks type accommodations.

I like having a private bathroom and hot shower every morning.

Why can't a bunkhouse have a private bath/ toilet facilities? As a charter member of the Cowboy Delta Shooter frat house in Paradise Pass, I don't mind bunking with others. I do appreciated a private bathroom, which is available at the Pass.

For those clubs that provide something like this...I congratulate you. However, as a past club president I want NOTHING to do with providing housing (think maintenance and housekeeping). Sounds expensive to establish, too. We do good to have enough money for insurance, prop repair/construction and target maintenance.

Oh, and I shared a motel room with my best friend and HIS CPAP machine. Once. I love him like a brother, but NEVER again will we share a room.

I think it's a GREAT idea.

It mines the bunkhouse lore of the Old West.

Like a youth hostel, it'd be a great way to make new acquaintances.

Not everyone shooting this game is well-heeled enough to afford umpteen-thousand dollar motor homes, or even boosted-rate-during-the-event hotels.

If we wish to entice shooters into the game, telling them they need $10,000.00 worth of gear, and then a $250,000.00 motor coach to haul it, may not be the best sales pitch...

Cheers,

FJT

With the advent of "mini-houses" the construction of a mini-house can be quite reasonable. My neighbor has developed one on wheels and envisions a mini-house commune type of society. First for low income folks and then for more of society.

A lot of stores now sell wood shed kits that can easily be converted to a mini-house. Our club has a top notch shower facility. The two combined could be nice overnite accommodations...for the young and/or hearty. I would use one, based on the price. Of course, I still sleep in the back of my pick up.

That being said, would it increase attendance? No, I don't think so.

Fillmore

Hmmmm lets think about this.....

snoring so strong it could peal the paint off the walls

so much gas passed that Exon would be trying to install pumps

a mile long line to take that 3:00am pee

nah I don't think so

Listen to Steeldust.

Even if a club had enough in the treasury to afford to do this, why would they? A cash outlay of thousands of dollars, maintence nightmares, dealing with individuals packed into a bunkhouse with no choice of who their neighbor is. Using funds that could benefit every shooter, think restrooms with flush toilets and sinks to wash your hands. New targets, new props, a good bird thrower, perhaps a permanent kitchen, gravel for the ranch road, ground cover on the range, covered loading area's, a shaded area to relax after the match and enjoy lunch. All of these things would benefit every shooter coming to the range.

Twas a time, during the growing stages at Oakwood Outlaws, that a merry group of ( 8 to 12) shooters stayed at " the bunk house " , on the range, the entire weekend during the monthly shoot.

Twas gambling, drinking and eating, gun cleaning, gun selling/trading, movies watched, Shooting tips given and created, rules debated...clarified rulings.....jokes abounded, old times were remembered, new memories made, and it seemed that everyone that stayed there enjoyed the heck out of it......Then one by one, most of the original group, had a shift of priorites, but still today, there is a group of shooters that stay there.

Its not for everyone, but it can be a great place to stay...cheaply. And still have a grand time.

OkD

I've always thought if a match supplied bunks for single shooter to keep them from have to get a motel room or drag a camper just for them more shooters could attend as the cost of the match would be cheaper. Less fuel to get there without a Rv to pull,drive,carry. Because at a good match all you do is sleep in your Rv food is available,entertainment is available. If a match rented a tent during the mild times no heat or cooling would be needed. Throw some single cot bunks with a usable pad. The shooter brought his own bed roll. A plugin would be nice for each bed for those of us that use a CPAP or to charge their phone at night.privacy could be canvas curtains hung between the bunks and everything else.

The match could charge depending on the number of Nights. If it is over a couple nights a shower trailer like the military uses could be setup with a buck for five minutes of water or get some galvanized house troughs put hot water in it per bather and they could take a bath for ten or twenty bucks.

This actually would be good for a vender type operation one tent for housing one tent for bathing think of it you would need a water truck and a generator for power. The two or more tents.

Mc rally's that owe the land were the riders spend their money for food, entertainment have started buying these little log type storage buildings with a porch and placing them on their property and renting them out for the riders to use. I think they come with a bed and matrices chair and table at the most. They lock. The bikers bring their own light cooking gear if used etc. just the bare basics I'd provided. I think places like founders ranch and others that can should try it out. Charge the same as camping fee for each.

I for one would be able to attend a lot more events if they were available. How bout you?

To the original question------"0"

Listen to Steeldust.

Even if a club had enough in the treasury to afford to do this, why would they? A cash outlay of thousands of dollars, maintence nightmares, dealing with individuals packed into a bunkhouse with no choice of who their neighbor is. Using funds that could benefit every shooter, think restrooms with flush toilets and sinks to wash your hands. New targets, new props, a good bird thrower, perhaps a permanent kitchen, gravel for the ranch road, ground cover on the range, covered loading area's, a shaded area to relax after the match and enjoy lunch. All of these things would benefit every shooter coming to the range.

It's already happening at some ranges so it's not impossible.

It's already happening at some ranges so it's not impossible.

Never said it was impossoble. Said it was a bad idea IMNSHO. Before I, as a range owner or a sitting member of a BOD for a club voted to use monies for that sort of thing I would make sure that there was nothing else that needed doing with said monies. Something that benefits EVERY shooter, not a few.

I stayed in the bunkhouse at Oakwood and really enjoyed getting to know some new folks. It wasn't all line up like a barracks. Lori Darlin' had a crew hopping on making spaghetti and Gunfighter told a bunch of tall tales. We had fun.

I've always wondered why someone doesn't haul one of those portable shower houses out to EOT. Thinkin' that I'm in the camp with FJT and Blackey on this one. OK Dee is right, too... there are tall tales to be told, world events to be settled and tall buildings to be leaped in a single bound. Maybe not for everyone, but out of 3-800 shooters there are probably more than a few that would have a hoot.

Race you snorers to sleep! ;)

Build a running water toilet and shower facility first - everyone can use that.

Then, add your sleeping rooms clustered around the bath house.

Repeat. Maybe several times.

Learn how to get good at following all the appropriate building codes and permits needed for such. Arrange for a little housekeeping, clean up, and maintenance.

All for a couple of weekend and maybe longer matches at each range each year? More work than I would want to honcho, for sure.

If you build something new, it has to be occupied and generating revenue about 40-50% of the time. Can't EVER plan for that at any range I've been to except Ben Avery, where events are stacked up several at a time all year long.

Good luck, GJ

Hmmmm lets think about this.....

snoring so strong it could peal the paint off the walls

so much gas passed that Exon would be trying to install pumps

a mile long line to take that 3:00am pee

nah I don't think so

:lol: So funny it needs repeating.

Waimea

:lol::FlagAm:

For each their own!

Those that shoot .32s with smokeless can do it their way. Those of us that were "ALLOWED" to camp out and, also, live in barracks with the joy of sharing a head with other Marines are allowed to revisit those joyeous adventures. If anyone wants to do either or all of the foregoing, feel free!

I escape to my RV with all of my shooting gear, personal items, cell 'phone, the food I like, especially breakfast, etc. and take a nap whenever I want. I treasure my privacy.

Everybody to their own tast said the old lady as she kissed the cow!

The Canadian River Regulators annual match is almost here Oct 11 and 12. We shoot at the Bar H Working Dude aka Guest Ranch. The Bar H has cabins, rooms, bunkhouses and a chuck house where 3 meals a day will be served during the shoot. Breakfast is scrambled eggs sausage and biscuits and gravy. Lunch will be mesquite grilled burgers or brisket and trimmings and supper is mesquite grilled rib eyes. I have not missed one yet and it cannot get here soon enuff.

Best of all possible worlds. The club has all these facilities available but no responsibility for running or maintaining them.

Almost forgot, dry camping is available and ye kin park yer camper no hook ups.

Y'all all come.

Twas a time, during the growing stages at Oakwood Outlaws, that a merry group of ( 8 to 12) shooters stayed at " the bunk house " , on the range, the entire weekend during the monthly shoot.

Twas gambling, drinking and eating, gun cleaning, gun selling/trading, movies watched, Shooting tips given and created, rules debated...clarified rulings.....jokes abounded, old times were remembered, new memories made, and it seemed that everyone that stayed there enjoyed the heck out of it......Then one by one, most of the original group, had a shift of priorites, but still today, there is a group of shooters that stay there.

Its not for everyone, but it can be a great place to stay...cheaply. And still have a grand time.

OkD

I stayed in the bunkhouse at Oakwood and really enjoyed getting to know some new folks. It wasn't all line up like a barracks. Lori Darlin' had a crew hopping on making spaghetti and Gunfighter told a bunch of tall tales. We had fun.

I've always wondered why someone doesn't haul one of those portable shower houses out to EOT. Thinkin' that I'm in the camp with FJT and Blackey on this one. OK Dee is right, too... there are tall tales to be told, world events to be settled and tall buildings to be leaped in a single bound. Maybe not for everyone, but out of 3-800 shooters there are probably more than a few that would have a hoot.

Race you snorers to sleep! ;)

I have stayed at Oakwood before also. Had a good time. We all went to eat together. And as stated above.

Told tall tales when we got back. Then we put in a movie and all watched it.

Lori Darlin cooked us up a little breakfast the next morning.

Might have to do that again pretty soon.

Maybe the clubs with these things should let us non local shooters know about it. It looks like I'll have to put oak wood on my list in the future as well as some of the other locations.

Dan, if he's anything like me, the sound of the machine was much less noisy than if he hadn't had it :D

B

Boy that's for dang sure.

I would not want to listen to a bunch of old far cowboys snoring and getting up to go to the bathroom a several times a night. All the while trying to sleep. Add a dinner containing beans would make it totally unbearable.

A clean shower/restroom facility would make a difference for me - not just a simple bunk shelter (I can bring that), and certainly not in the "bunkhouse" format for all the colorful reasons above!

Cost verses return on investment

Restrooms and showers etc require meeting current building code , fire codes , for that specific area

Septic tanks, sewer connection fees, water , hot water , lights and all that stuff does not come cheep

If your club can move in that direction or if your club has that already, then enjoy it and advertise that you offer it

Archived