SASS Wire Forum

Is CAS a Hobby, Sport or Avocation

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Competitive hobby perhaps?

Rules are too vague IMO to be sport - Most sports, be it soccer or basketbal or swimming or darts or pool or such are pretty much the same everywhere. I can't imagine every soccer game having a different fiield layout...maybe the ML of MLB should run the bases left to right instead of right to left, or vary it my inning mebbe? Perhaps the 100yd dash can be 90 this week and 110 next week?

Golf has some variation course to course, but not a lot in the overall stroke count. If you can break 70 you're good. Anywhere.

What is a good score in a SASS match? Yes, we have world records but I've been to some matches where 40s a stage is a great score. Apples and organges make this a hobby, not a sport IMO.

And while some sports don't change a lot, most advance technologically - ours is stuck in time, on purpose.

I don't know any sport that is played with gear that can't be newer than 110 years.

I guess you wouldn't count any shooting sport as being a sport.

I don't think you understand the concept of sport. We have very definite rules and they are enforced rigorously. Some of us might be old or have fat bellies, but CAS is physical. That is why they call it Cowboy Action Shooting. We keep score. We post winners and losers. Our game isn't stuck technologically. Within the rules there are improvements every year. I use a 3rd generation short stroked rifle, there are 4th and 5th generation short strokes out there. Since I started Ruger Vaqueros have been improved internally in several ways. So have the Colt clones some of which now sport coil springs instead of leaf springs. Don't confuse the fact that the guns look 110 years old with the internal workings. If I want to move to the next level I am probably going to have to buy the latest and greatest gear even though my gear is perfectly serviceable. Recently I looked at some scores from the early days of the sport. The winners at End of Trail a few years ago would have a hard time making the top 20 these days.

You would count bobsled as a sport right? Well just like CAS no two courses are the same. Except for an initial run, most of the participants just sit in the bobsled while gravity and the driver do their jobs. In bobsledding technology advances happen regularly, but they happen within the limits established by the rules. The same with golf and tennis.

Rules are too vague IMO to be sport - Most sports, be it soccer or basketbal or swimming or darts or pool or such are pretty much the same everywhere. I can't imagine every soccer game having a different fiield layout...maybe the ML of MLB should run the bases left to right instead of right to left, or vary it my inning mebbe? Perhaps the 100yd dash can be 90 this week and 110 next week?

Golf has some variation course to course, but not a lot in the overall stroke count. If you can break 70 you're good. Anywhere.

What is a good score in a SASS match? Yes, we have world records but I've been to some matches where 40s a stage is a great score. Apples and organges make this a hobby, not a sport IMO.

And while some sports don't change a lot, most advance technologically - ours is stuck in time, on purpose.

I don't know any sport that is played with gear that can't be newer than 110 years.

Take his opinion as a non SASS member guest. I wonder how many matches he has competed in?

Amateur Sport. None of us is making a living at this.

N-SSA is a hobby sport that the gear can't be newer than 150 years. I would consider this a hobby sport. But whatever you want to call it, it's fun to do. But I am surprised that there isn't any paper target competition events.

CAS Is different for different shooters. For some it is a sport where you compete for others it's a hobby were you socialize and for others it's a game based on history. That's why sass and CAS has survived for the many years it has. You may come into for one thing and that works for the first few years then you attitude changes as you mature in CAS. Next you find that you like playing the game better than competing. Then later on it becomes you social venue. Not to say you can't do it all at the same time but your focus will change why your doing it.

The answer is personal enjoyment.

A reported asked me some time ago a similar question for his article on SASS. I responded: "I am out here for about four hours and I shoot for about three minutes. There is no logical reason - I simply enjoy it - it is my preference to be here versus someplace else.."

mine, too.

cr

A way of life.

You are correct sir. Deep down I think we all feel that way, IMHO, of course.

I've always thought of CAS as a Sport, or in my case even an Avocation. On another thread someone called CAS a hobby. According to the definitions, I guess it could be any of the three.

But I prefer Sport. What do you think?

fun hobby..... not enough physical work to be a sport in my opinion.

Kinda hoping the Olympic Committee will include Cowboy Action Shooting before I'm too old to take the Gold from Germany.

Then I woke up. :lol:

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Take his opinion as a non SASS member quest. I wonder how many matches he has competed in?

I didn't know I had to 'join the club' to be allowed to have an opinion. Thanks for the warm and welcoming attitude. Can't get my check book out fast enough to join you in this club now.

5 "SASS" matches. Quotes are because not all clubs/matches were SASS sanctioned/member clubs.

Those that were didn't require SASS membership to compete.

No two the same. One was very very speed oriented, not much movement, one was small and far and had stories and such, lots of movement. Other than the guns there wasn't much the same between them. It'd be like comparing IDPA to PPC - similar concepts (self defense skill)/guns but that's about it.

I also don't see a heir-archy (SP?) in most of the shooting sports. You want to shoot a national event? Show up. No need to qualify or demonstrate proficiency. Most all other sports don't work that way - you compete and only the best get to go on to regionals, states, nationals.

point being SPORT is COMPETITION. Only the best should be competing in a national COMPETITION.

Since everyone is welcome it's more of a hobby.

Cow Chip, You say a lot of inflammatory remarks then act surprised you didn't get a warm welcome . You get what you give and that is coming from someone who has been on both sides . Be open minded to the idea that most clubs run by SASS rules . Also know that within these rules there is enough room for a club to develop it's own personality . Then also realize that some rules have changed over the years and it is up to all of us to stay current . The rules are on the SASS home page in the shooters hand books . If you find a club that shoots the type of CAS you are looking for then get involved and you will meet the best people going .

I didn't know I had to 'join the club' to be allowed to have an opinion. Thanks for the warm and welcoming attitude. Can't get my check book out fast enough to join you in this club now.

5 "SASS" matches. Quotes are because not all clubs/matches were SASS sanctioned/member clubs.

No two the same. One was very very speed oriented, not much movement, one was small and far and had stories and such, lots of movement. Other than the guns there wasn't much the same between them. It'd be like comparing IDPA to PPC - similar concepts (self defense skill)/guns but that's about it.

I also don't see a heir-archy (SP?) in most of the shooting sports. You want to shoot a national event? Show up. No need to qualify or demonstrate proficiency. Most all other sports don't work that way - you compete and only the best get to go on to regionals, states, nationals.

point being SPORT is COMPETITION. Only the best should be competing in a national COMPETITION.

You don't have to join the club to have an opinion, but you do have to know what is going on.

Our little hobby has a lot more members than most of the big time shooting sports, but we don't have money pouring in from sponsors like some supporting professional teams and invitation only matches. Our top hobbyists, such as Randy Rhodes, have to go play one of the "modern" shooting hobbies to make a living. Instead we invite everybody to our big matches. I will assure you only the very best win and they have to compete hard to win.

Our shooters are every bit as competitive as anybody in one of the more "serious" shooting sports. We strive to win the big matches just like the others. While there are some who pretend CAS is just for fun, watch them compete with their friends at a monthly. Most of them really are trying to win. That said, I do have to say people who are willing to dress in 19th century role playing clothes are probably a little strange to "serious" people. That we don't use our real names isn't going to win the approval of the pompous blovators who say Bianci Cup is a sport, but Cowboy shooting is merely a hobby.

You are probably going to take a lot of heat here on the wire because denegrating what we do the way you have based on as little information as you possess is an insult to all CAS participants. Sorry, but that is just the short of it.

:wacko: ...thou doth knowest not much.

there's plenty of 'competition' in this sport. You don't know too much so the suggestion is you learn more about SASS/CAS before you start typin' away.

and pretty much the BEST are at the National match.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 2, 2014 - Chasing folks away.
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 2, 2014 - Chasing folks away.

Just maybe this isn't for you---

LG

And once again you prove to everyone just how little you understand about our sport and shooting sports in general......Any USPSA member in good standing can register for the USPSA Nationals being held later this month. Apparently there is a waiting list now......$295 to sign up. Nothing on their website stating you have to qualify to participate. They even have a category of "unclassified"....how about that.

There are some really good shooters up in your area. You shot at Tusco in August.....talk to some of them cowpokes this coming month. Look up Split Rail or John Barleycorn......They can help you learn more about our sport and what it takes to be a good cowboy. I can assure you that neither one will recommend coming on the wire and throwing out insults.

There's more to being a cowboy than buying leather and guns designed before 1900........

Stan

PS. You are allowed to have an opinion....Personally I prefer to know about a subject when I go to form mine.....

You don't have to join the club to have an opinion, but you do have to know what is going on.

Our little hobby has a lot more members than most of the big time shooting sports, but we don't have money pouring in from sponsors like some supporting professional teams and invitation only matches. Our top hobbyists, such as Randy Rhodes, have to go play one of the "modern" shooting hobbies to make a living. Instead we invite everybody to our big matches. I will assure you only the very best win and they have to compete hard to win.

Our shooters are every bit as competitive as anybody in one of the more "serious" shooting sports. We strive to win the big matches just like the others. While there are some who pretend CAS is just for fun, watch them compete with their friends at a monthly. Most of them really are trying to win. That said, I do have to say people who are willing to dress in 19th century role playing clothes are probably a little strange to "serious" people. That we don't use our real names isn't going to win the approval of the pompous blovators who say Bianci Cup is a sport, but Cowboy shooting is merely a hobby.

You are probably going to take a lot of heat here on the wire because denegrating what we do the way you have based on as little information as you possess is an insult to all CAS participants. Sorry, but that is just the short of it.

And once again you prove to everyone just how little you understand about our sport and shooting sports in general......Any USPSA member in good standing can register for the USPSA Nationals being held later this month. Apparently there is a waiting list now......$295 to sign up. Nothing on their website stating you have to qualify to participate. They even have a category of "unclassified"....how about that.

There are some really good shooters up in your area. You shot at Tusco in August.....talk to some of them cowpokes this coming month. Look up Split Rail or John Barleycorn......They can help you learn more about our sport and what it takes to be a good cowboy. I can assure you that neither one will recommend coming on the wire and throwing out insults.

There's more to being a cowboy than buying leather and guns designed before 1900........

Stan

PS. You are allowed to have an opinion....Personally I prefer to know about a subject when I go to form mine.....

What both of these pards said 110%.

What really ruffles feathers the most, is some FNG (friggin new guy) insulting CAS and trying to change it to suit the way they think it should be. Go to some more matches, get involved, study the rule books and learn. At least you'll have a educated position to state your case.

CS

To me it's a sport/game that has become my favorite hobby. All other hobbies have suffered as a result. When I entered this game I came with an open mind and a sense of humility. As a result I've had the opportunity to meet good folks from all parts of the US and Canada and have had the good fortune to become friends with a whole bunch of them.

Motor Racing, Mountain Climbing and Bullfighting are the only true sports. The others are simply children's games played by adults. - Ernest Hemingway

motor racing: competive? yes; rules and/or penalties? yes; scored or timed? yes; sport? yes

mountain climbing: competitive? no; rules and/or penalties? no; scored or timed? no; sport? no (avocation)

bullfighting: competitive? yes; rules/penalties? yes; scored or timed? yes; sport? yes

Cow chip, until you have been to a state, regional , national and world match as a shooter you have a lot to learn. I've shot with clubs at the monthly level and had some of the same experiences. I spoke out against it thinking that sass's way was the only way because there the governing body. I paid dearly for it. Now I shoot with clubs that shoot the way I like. I may not shoot every weekend anymore, or shoot at the top of the list now but I was close at one time before things happened to slow me down.

Like I said above CAS is different for everyone. Some emphasize the shooting, others the costuming, while others it's a SoCal gathering with common interests. I once said on camera that sass was the most fun you can have with your clothes on and it's the only place you'll see men talking about clothes and outfits while women are talking about guns.

I go to away matches for the fun of it and a chance to shoot my best on that day, meet new friends and help my fellow shooters if needed. I'm usually at the unloading table most of the time although I'll give spotting a try on each stage after I have shot if possible. I was at a regional the weekend before last. Met several new friends saw a bunch of old friends and even talked with some that I've had problems with in the past. As I was told at EOT earlier this year it's good to see old friends now because of the age of many in this game, sport, hobby they are dropping like flies so when you see an old friend it is good.

I think shooting or the idea of playing cowboy is what brings the majority of us to CAS it the various aspects that make it what it is and keep us involved. Several shooters have gotten fed up for whatever reason and left the activity only to return because it had so much to offer that they couldn't find elsewhere.

Cow chip hang around for a while and shoot some of the bigger shoots and you'll find that there is competition there but also so much more. It's a game since we keep score, it's a hobby because we do it for fun not money, it's a sport to those at the top because the compete. It's a Social gathering because we come together to see friends, it's also a fellowship because we all have similar interests. But most important if all is sass's number one rule it's fun, the second rule is be safe. That can go on and off the range.

Cow chip I hope to shoot with you some time and if you need anything let me know.

Seems like an avocation and a hobby are pretty much the same thing. A hobby turns into an Avocation when it becomes the thing you are know for, over that persons professional Career.

So, for me it's a hobby and a sport - but not an Avocation. An aspiring Avocation perhaps?

Superbowl - only members of the 2 teams that have EARNED their way to compete may show up and play. All the other NFL and football players on the planet can't participate.
Same for Pro Golf - lots show up on tuesday but there is a cut on thursday - only the top players continue to compete.
The local little legaue baseball (so you don't say pros vs amateurs are different) is the same way. I can't just show up with my son in williamsport and have him compete - no matter how good he may be.

I competed at Camp Perry -didn't have to be a member of nuthin.

Sports are played by athletes.

The tops in any hobby or avocation could certainly be considered athletes - lots of training and practice go into it.

So golf is a sport, tennis too. Is the guy that plays 9 holes every other saturday an athlete? Hardly. Hobbyist? Sure. Is golf an avocation for him? Perhaps.

at the shoots I've been to the top half dozen (or so) might qualify as athletes probably view CAS as a sport. The rest of us? Hobby.

at what point does a hobby become an avocation or a 'problem'? I don't know anyone that has ruined their life with a shooting sport 'addiction'..but I'm sure there must be a few.

Do YOU play to WIN? If so, then to you CAS is a sport.

Archived