SASS Wire Forum

Is CAS a Hobby, Sport or Avocation

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

I've always thought of CAS as a Sport, or in my case even an Avocation. On another thread someone called CAS a hobby. According to the definitions, I guess it could be any of the three.

But I prefer Sport. What do you think?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always thought of CAS as a Sport, or in my case even an Avocation. On another thread someone called CAS a hobby. According to the definitions, I guess it could be any of the three.

But I prefer Sport. What do you think?

All 3.

It is a sport, that many participate in as a hobby.

As many sports people play as hobby's.

It can be many different things for different people. That's one of the great things about it.

All 3, a hobby sport I like to do well at... ;)

Spades H. It's also a social gathering in most cases, one of the best things about it no matter how you define it!! ^_^

A curse! Just think of all the great things we could accomplish if we weren't off shooting.

I'd say its as much of a sport as golf is.

We collect guns as much as any other hobby collects things.

Its a game to some,a lifestyle to others just like any other game.

So all three?

Call it what you will. Its still a very fun!

All 3.

It is a sport, that many participate in as a hobby.

As many sports people play as hobby's.

It can be many different things for different people. That's one of the great things about it.

Indeed.

GG

None of the three...It's

An

Addiction! !! Lol...

and ain't it grand....Yee Haw

I consider CAS to be a social event with guns. It's also a sport and a game. For me, you and Angus, it's like a family get together with guns. Whatever it is, I can't thank you enough for getting me involved in CAS...........and I'll never forgive ya neither. :lol:

Sun

It has been preached as entertainment over and over and over, so please pass the Koop-aid

I do it for far more than that

Family

Reliving my childhood past watching westerns

Dress code

Honor code

Using real guns

Real bullets, not laser inserts

RV camping and fireside story tellin at the shooting ranges

Teaching others our second amendment rights and a fun way to support them

Others please add to the list

Competitive hobby perhaps?

Rules are too vague IMO to be sport - Most sports, be it soccer or basketbal or swimming or darts or pool or such are pretty much the same everywhere. I can't imagine every soccer game having a different fiield layout...maybe the ML of MLB should run the bases left to right instead of right to left, or vary it my inning mebbe? Perhaps the 100yd dash can be 90 this week and 110 next week?

Golf has some variation course to course, but not a lot in the overall stroke count. If you can break 70 you're good. Anywhere.

What is a good score in a SASS match? Yes, we have world records but I've been to some matches where 40s a stage is a great score. Apples and organges make this a hobby, not a sport IMO.

And while some sports don't change a lot, most advance technologically - ours is stuck in time, on purpose.

I don't know any sport that is played with gear that can't be newer than 110 years.

A way of life.

+1

Spent this week end, working on gun leather, making boolits,& fletching arrows for our fort, varnishing the gun cart, working on guns.

No wonder I haven't gone fishing in three years!

I consider CAS to be a social event with guns. It's also a sport and a game. For me, you and Angus, it's like a family get together with guns. Whatever it is, I can't thank you enough for getting me involved in CAS...........and I'll never forgive ya neither. :lol:

Sun

I can't think of anything scarier...

...But you guys pull it off with style and humor.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

Rules are too vague IMO to be sport - Most sports, be it soccer or basketbal or swimming or darts or pool or such are pretty much the same everywhere. I can't imagine every soccer game having a different fiield layout...maybe the ML of MLB should run the bases left to right instead of right to left, or vary it my inning mebbe? Perhaps the 100yd dash can be 90 this week and 110 next week?

Golf has some variation course to course, but not a lot in the overall stroke count. If you can break 70 you're good. Anywhere.

What is a good score in a SASS match? Yes, we have world records but I've been to some matches where 40s a stage is a great score. Apples and organges make this a hobby, not a sport IMO.

And while some sports don't change a lot, most advance technologically - ours is stuck in time, on purpose.

I don't know any sport that is played with gear that can't be newer than 110 years.

You don't seem to know much about the competitiveness and effort that goes into being a top shooter. Though I am not near as good as the top shooters these guys out THOUSANDS of rounds down range all the time constantly working on transistooms and all..Let alone the mental part of the game. It definately can be a sport for those who are in that frame of mind. The rules aren't 'vague'. Hundreds of matches have happened within the scope of the rules and with consistency.

GG

Expensive! As soon as I can use it as a tax write off then I'm set.

There are conditions in which it can be used as such.

Your lack of understanding about our sport is only matched by your ability show it.

Sport - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

It is a sport that can be pursued at any level from hobby to avocation.

Stan

If it's a competition, has rules, penalties, etc. and they keep score it's a sport (which it is)!

Perhaps this sport, hobby, game, avocation, social event, obsession, religion...........etc.............isn't for you.

Maybe you should try something where the rules are much more defined. :blink:

You'd do well to cool it with your various references to vague rules until you put some real time into this game/sport/hobby and figure out what is really going on.

Your lack of understanding about our sport is only matched by your ability show it.

Sport - an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

It is a sport that can be pursued at any level from hobby to avocation.

Stan

+ 1,000

Just to "pile on" :

hickock-M.jpg

:P

The answer is personal enjoyment.

A reported asked me some time ago a similar question for his article on SASS. I responded: "I am out here for about four hours and I shoot for about three minutes. There is no logical reason - I simply enjoy it - it is my preference to be here versus someplace else.."

All of the above

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Archived