SASS Wire Forum

Is CAS a Hobby, Sport or Avocation

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cow Chip,

I read what you wrote twice and haven't got a clue what you are trying to say. I am going to follow Alley Mo's advice. I don't want to be part of a lynch mob.

One of the reasons I love SASS and its matches so very much is the fact that you DO NOT have to "qualify" to enter in State, Regional, National and World Championships. That leaves the experience open to anyone who wishes to experience it, not only the elitist few. Indeed, there are not a lot of sports where you can do so. Nor are the a lot of sports where you can do so with a reasonable entrance fee. Why would anyone want to take that away from us "regular" folks??? You are required to know what you are doing at National and World's, it is not the place for the first time shooter. But it sure is a lot more fun to shoot than it is to just sit around and watch the "top" shooters (not that I don't enjoy the Top Gun Shoot offs) It also gives us a chance to shoot with the best, learn from them, and have a great time. The best sport I have even been involved in.

I've always thought of CAS as a Sport, or in my case even an Avocation. On another thread someone called CAS a hobby. According to the definitions, I guess it could be any of the three.

But I prefer Sport. What do you think?

Competitive hobby perhaps?

Rules are too vague IMO to be sport - Most sports, be it soccer or basketbal or swimming or darts or pool or such are pretty much the same everywhere. I can't imagine every soccer game having a different fiield layout...maybe the ML of MLB should run the bases left to right instead of right to left, or vary it my inning mebbe? Perhaps the 100yd dash can be 90 this week and 110 next week?

Golf has some variation course to course, but not a lot in the overall stroke count. If you can break 70 you're good. Anywhere.

What is a good score in a SASS match? Yes, we have world records but I've been to some matches where 40s a stage is a great score. Apples and organges make this a hobby, not a sport IMO.

And while some sports don't change a lot, most advance technologically - ours is stuck in time, on purpose.

I don't know any sport that is played with gear that can't be newer than 110 years.

Let's get back on topic before it resembles a lynching. Cow Chip has been sufficiently admonished for his unpopular opinion.

Thanks Allie for the reminder.

With that being said, I would like to suggest we don't gun down a cowboy or cowgirl for an "opinion". The OP asked "What do you think?" I think we sometimes forget the best thing about this Hobby/Sport is how freindly all of the Pards are at the shoots. I occasionally see some "not so friendly hospitality" to each other on the forum. Opinions are neither right or wrong, how we chose to disagree with them can be right or wrong. Just saying....

Superbowl - only members of the 2 teams that have EARNED their way to compete may show up and play. All the other NFL and football players on the planet can't participate.

Same for Pro Golf - lots show up on tuesday but there is a cut on thursday - only the top players continue to compete.

The local little legaue baseball (so you don't say pros vs amateurs are different) is the same way. I can't just show up with my son in williamsport and have him compete - no matter how good he may be.

I competed at Camp Perry -didn't have to be a member of nuthin.

Sports are played by athletes.

The tops in any hobby or avocation could certainly be considered athletes - lots of training and practice go into it.

So golf is a sport, tennis too. Is the guy that plays 9 holes every other saturday an athlete? Hardly. Hobbyist? Sure. Is golf an avocation for him? Perhaps.

at the shoots I've been to the top half dozen (or so) might qualify as athletes probably view CAS as a sport. The rest of us? Hobby.

at what point does a hobby become an avocation or a 'problem'? I don't know anyone that has ruined their life with a shooting sport 'addiction'..but I'm sure there must be a few.

Do YOU play to WIN? If so, then to you CAS is a sport.

Yawn ( since we are going in circles). Many do play to win... Therefore, CAS can be a viable sport ;)

GG

When my brother and sister take their sailboat out into the Puget Sound for a week's relaxation they are enjoying an amazing hobby. When they participate in an organized race with their friends in the marina (and beyond) they are engaged in a real sport. It is the same with CAS, except I can feed my inner competitive juices without making a distinction with my enjoyable hobby. CAS is both a sport and a hobby. That is its beauty.

Hmmm, Fun Friends, Fun Guns, Fun Stages, Fun Trips.....

I Think I'll just call it FUN :D

Make sure you don't drop your Fun :P

There's a reason I work 350 days a year. It's called SASS. 10 of those days off are filled with chores and reloading. Five I get to compete... at the lowest level possible. But competing it is.

It is what you want it to be. Many are in it for the social and the dress.. SASS does a great job of making entertainment. Many are in it because they love the old firearms and what a great way to shoot them. Some just love the smell of burnt powder in the morning. My son and daughter see it as a competition and a great way to share our time with each other and make great friends. I see it from the back of the pack and someday inspire to be a fast as they are. It doesn't matter how you see it as long as it is fun. Let's shoot.

I won a Cow Chip throwing contest once...........so does that make me an athlete?

depends . . . are there rules? were you being timed? :lol:

If I had to pick one I would call it a sport.

But it is also something much more. As free Americans, it is an exercise of our constitutional right to keep and bear arms. CAS is also practice in the event the citizenry is forced to protect our country from enemies, domestic or foreign. Say that bunch of criminals calling themselves ISIS decide to put on their big boy pants and try to do here what they are doing there, they'll get more cowboy lead headed their way than they bargained for.

CAS has three parts for most participants: costuming, reloading and the actual shooting. I think costuming and reloading are hobby portions of CAS and the shooting portion is actual sport. Just my thoughts. Now I have to finish cleaning the Triple Seven residue out of my cowboy firearms. That is neither hobby or sport, just essential maintenance.

All CC's BS (no pun intended) aside, it seems like most cowboys agree with me that CAS is a sport. Webster's defines "sport" as follows:

sport

noun

: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other

: sports in general

: a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that is done for enjoyment

Seems to me that Cowboy Action Shooting meets that definition. If it weren't for the competition part it may really be a hobby, such as collecting cowboy stuff might be. If you made some money at it, it may be an avocation.

But to me it's still a sport. (And a great time to get together with family with guns. That goes for extended family as well!)

Is drinking at home wrong?????

NO . . . it's an avocation or a hobby but NOT a sport! :lol:

What a crazy thought process the mind can generate when thinking out this thread.

Here's my crazy thoughts:

NASCAR can be defined as a sport. But driving down the hi-way can be considered a hobby or just a necessity just to get from point A to point B.

Swimming can be a sport if you are in it for competition purposes. But it can be a hobby if you visit the local 'Y' twice a week for exercise or therapy.

Shooting can be a sport when there is competition involved. Shooting can also be a hobby just for the casual plinkers. It can also be an Avocation because of the enjoyment folks receive, not only during the shooting actions, but before and after the actual shooting event.

A SASS match is more than just shooting competition or sport. Its an EVENT.

Take the good Pard who traveled over 2 hours for a Saturday, 5 stage match. And he MDQ's on the 1st stage. YET, he still hangs around to help assist the posse and 'jabber jaw' with all his friends.

Or take the beautiful Wife or Girlfriend of a shooter that dresses up real fancy yet doesn't shoot at all. She is there just to be part of the EVENT.

For me, I think its a sport with a competition personality unlike any other competitive sport. We don't wish for our competition to 'fumble' the ball (drop a pistol). We don't wish for a sack (tripping and falling). And we never want to succeed because of a bad call by the plate umpire or line referee.

We enjoy playing WITH the best and we enjoy teaching those who don't know much.

We celebrate with the winners and in some instances, feel that we are all winners.

We fix a gun on the back of a tailgate and wish the best for the competition that is going to use it.

and all the while, SASS and CAS still carry the flavor of a Sport with the aroma of Competition.

..........Widder

1. hob·by1/ˈhäbē/

noun

1. an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.
  2. a small horse or pony.

1. sport/spôrt/

noun

1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
  2. a person who behaves in a good or specified way in response to teasing, defeat, or a similarly trying situation.
  3. an animal or plant showing abnormal or striking variation from the parent type, especially in form or color, as a result of spontaneous mutation.

verb

1. wear or display (a distinctive or noticeable item).
  2. amuse oneself or play in a lively, energetic way.

I would say, since there is a timer and a score is kept that SASS is a 'SPORT'. Even the duffers wants to know their final stage time(s). Take away the timer, and there will be a more rapid decline in partisipation.

Edit,: I change my mind. SASS is more 'entertainment', just entertainment. Why I changed is that there is minimal to no 'physical exertion', or energetic way' as mentioned in the above definition, for the vast major of Participants. Sorry to say.. :(

But if given only the three options from the OP,then 'Sports"

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 4, 2014 - Political
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 4, 2014 - Political

:angry: .........an' if ol' "Mr.'O'" an' his cronies have their way with you in November, we may not be talkin' 'bout what CAS is, but rather what it "was", or "might-have-been"!!

...so get up off yer rear ends, step away from yer 'puters, talk it up, support and defend our rights and liberties, and above all, get out and VOTE!!!!!!

The witching hour draws near!

'Nuff said............. Doc:angry:

Archived